MinimumRC Star Voyager build

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
A while back I order the MinimumRC Star Voyager from Banggood (I think). I bought the kit that included the motor and servos.
IMG_20210812_015522700.jpg
It is 1.5mm or 2mm foam similar to depron. A 716 motor with a 4or 5" prop. 2 - 2g servos. Some 3/32" balsa ply parts and push rods.
IMG_20210811_223440928.jpg
The only thing missing was instructions, a 1S battery, glue (I used UHU) and the Rx. This model is no longer on MinimumRC's website. I'd the link the instructions, I will pass them along.
Below are the pieces:
IMG_20210811_000320374.jpg
It wasn't hard to figure out. But it would be helpful for a balance and to start out.

Looks pretty good so far.
IMG_20210811_230909416.jpg

The T16 bound with DSM X 22ms. If you use this be sure to enable max throw to 1 and auto detect format. Otherwise the motor might not function.

Flight tomorrow.

FoamyDM

I got a minute to fly the plane.

Yesterday during national model aviation day.

And I flew it again today. This time with a 450 mAh 1S battery. It flew for ~10 minutes> I glued the rudder in which has made deflections asymmetrical. I may have installed the rudder wrong, or damaged it in the crashes I actually had to turn right a little to have meaningful left deflection after. But it was a good gentle flight. The breeze was almost non-existent. Once I get the rudder set up better, I will see if it can do some labored acrobatics.

the AUW is 32g with another 15 g for a 450mAh batt. ~6g for the 150mAh.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I got a minute to fly the plane.

Yesterday during national model aviation day.

And I flew it again today. This time with a 450 mAh 1S battery. It flew for ~10 minutes> I glued the rudder in which has made deflections asymmetrical. I may have installed the rudder wrong, or damaged it in the crashes I actually had to turn right a little to have meaningful left deflection after. But it was a good gentle flight. The breeze was almost non-existent. Once I get the rudder set up better, I will see if it can do some labored acrobatics.

Man you must have GREAT eye sight to see that tiny little white plane that far away in a matching haze in the air. I could only see it when it was basically in the confines of your front yard. Much past that it washed into the sky hehe. MAYBE as far as half across the street. seems to fly nice once you got it all trimmed

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Man you must have GREAT eye sight to see that tiny little white plane that far away in a matching haze in the air. I could only see it when it was basically in the confines of your front yard. Much past that it washed into the sky hehe. MAYBE as far as half across the street. seems to fly nice once you got it all trimmed

Some of that is the quality of the camera/video vs eyes, I can see stuff LOS that a camera sitting at my head's location won't be clear at 'HD' qualities. The difference is more pronounce with analog FPV video, similar issue.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Some of that is the quality of the camera/video vs eyes, I can see stuff LOS that a camera sitting at my head's location won't be clear at 'HD' qualities. The difference is more pronounce with analog FPV video, similar issue.

I see perfectly fine with my analog set ups. I see things I watch people crash into with their fancy dancy expensive DJI goggles. I don't fly around trees I fly IN them, AND I'm not radiating my brain with two high frequency ADACs and dual channel amplifiers stuck to my face.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I see perfectly fine with my analog set ups. I see things I watch people crash into with their fancy dancy expensive DJI goggles. I don't fly around trees I fly IN them, AND I'm not radiating my brain with two high frequency ADACs and dual channel amplifiers stuck to my face.

sorry, I think my point got missed... just that your eyes [or at least most peoples' eyes are with relevent corrective lenses] are better then the video quality on YouTube. I have seen this myself multiple times were I have one of the kids follow the something with a camera and it is hard to see it in the video, but I could see it just fine with my eyes when I was flying.

FoamyDM

@PsyBorg - not looking to irradiate myself more than normal. @JasonK is correct, on my Prandlt-D graceful flight vid that craft was all but invisible in the Video (30-40% visibility), but I know in person, I was able to track it 85% of the time. I think our eyes are great at tracking motion and slight color differences. (how we hunted successfully for so long) and the cameras aren't there quite yet.

Sounds like the consensus is: It needs a soft coat of color for more fun.

I have the plans for the full size (30" A-pack) DTFB version done. Now to build it!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@PsyBorg - not looking to irradiate myself more than normal. @JasonK is correct, on my Prandlt-D graceful flight vid that craft was all but invisible in the Video (30-40% visibility), but I know in person, I was able to track it 85% of the time. I think our eyes are great at tracking motion and slight color differences. (how we hunted successfully for so long) and the cameras aren't there quite yet.

Sounds like the consensus is: It needs a soft coat of color for more fun.

I have the plans for the full size (30" A-pack) DTFB version done. Now to build it!

Hey as long as YOU can see it you can leave it white if that is what you like. Us not seeing it in a video has no effect on the safety of the flight but YOUR being able to see it certainly does.

I just misunderstood what camera @JasonK was talking about and went way off topic in my reply hehe. Its a quad thing.. Camera ALWAYS = fpv hehe for me anyways.

FoamyDM

I have sized this model up to be Foamboard thickness, and B-pack power train sized. I am also working up another Galley hull style.
1649083371256.png

Attachments

• FlyingGalleon2xMinRC.pdf
    241.1 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

I have cut it out and done a basic dry fit. Things. look good. Tonight, I will hot glue it up. The ply parts, I think I will do with Credit card plastic, or 3d print.

FoamyDM

I took the parts and started to assemble them.
I put together the masts first. Then the fuselage/hull. Lastly I assembled the wings. they were quick.
IMG_20220404_225946951.jpg IMG_20220404_234846548.jpg IMG_20220404_234856435.jpg

The brackets were originally like ply I made these out of wire cuz I had it although you can make it out of any thin strip material credit card or a cutting board or thin plywood. The important thing is that it anchors the wing in and supports it at the center giving it the proper dihedral.
IMG_20220404_224007585.jpg

This is the boat assembled I need to attach the rudder and that'll be a straw over a barbecue skewer cut into small sections like a hinge and gluing each part onto each section.
IMG_20220405_002709520.jpg

Last pieces of electronics I think I'm basically going to make a phone block that's it's over top of the original motor mount it's just a shelf in front of the front mast. And then adding servos
I'm using a 2212 1400 KV motor on a three cell or maybe even a two cell with a 9x4.5 prop.
I'll have to see what size battery it takes to balance it it's definitely back heavy without any electronics which is actually pretty good. I also want to make some sort of landing gear here so that I can have a take off the ground and land and also provides a place to have it rest without falling over or needing a stand.

more to come.

FoamyDM

So I have a couple ideas:
I can go with a
_114820068_dukling2.jpg

but as I have a growing collection of Cereal box themed planes, I had a suggestion, that I do it up in a Cap'n Crunch theme like the SS Guppy
1649338643218.png

or do it in the Cereal Box colors, more like this
1649339240401.png 1649339263537.png 1649339343054.png
And of course if I do this, I will need to add the character to the deck:
1649338923128.png 1649338880643.png 1649339425926.png

Maybe there is a way to combine it.
1649341459742.png