Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looking good man. (y) Good thinking on the router.

Thanks! Idea stolen from DamonRC over on the other forum :)

So I finished up all the routing last night and put the glue on the side pieces. Tonight it'll be on to gluing in the ribs!

20180617_230208-1280x720.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
One step at a time.... I'm glueing it together standing up so i can keep the leading edge squared to the sides easier.

20180618_215513-800x450.jpg

And here's the second night's assembly...
20180619_220508-800x450.jpg

Almost ready for the hot wire!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
One step at a time.... I'm glueing it together standing up so i can keep the leading edge squared to the sides easier.

View attachment 109080

And here's the second night's assembly...
View attachment 109081

Almost ready for the hot wire!

This is just the wing section that gets mated to the part attached to the fuselage already correct? How much more wing area will be added after this to shape the tips? This is getting to be a size that could potentially be used as a hang glider should you wish to re purpose it after the contest hehe.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yeah, 104" or 8'-8" or 2641mm of wing is pretty freaking huge. :D

There will be 3 wing sections overall - the center wing section that will be permanently mounted to the fuselage is 32" and this box is 36" wide. I'll be slicing the box in half horizontally to give me to matched but thinner boxes still 36" wide, and then cutting both of the side panels from there.

I wasn't planning on any additional extensions for the tips, but I still need to see how it looks when it's all cut up - it might need a few extra inches of foam for shaping out at the ends. And I really need to take my time and make sure I don't cut two right side wings by accident :unsure:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And... are you using gorilla glue for those joints? Just curious.

I'm using the brown gorilla glue for all the foam to foam joints, and the foam to outer wing tube as well.

The foaming action is especially handy on the ribs since the router bit I used to cut the slots is about 2mm wider than the ribs - but the gorilla glue nicely makes up for the difference :D

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Interesting. I guess since you are using pressure to make the layer of glue super thin it would not interfere with a hot wire cut. I've personally never tried. I've been meaning to try Glidden Gripper paint as a foam adhesive as I've heard it works well to bond foam and easily hot wire cuts.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Interesting. I guess since you are using pressure to make the layer of glue super thin it would not interfere with a hot wire cut. I've personally never tried. I've been meaning to try Glidden Gripper paint as a foam adhesive as I've heard it works well to bond foam and easily hot wire cuts.

The hotwire did slow down when going through the gorilla glue, but it worked! I used the Glidden Gripper on sticking the fuselage layers together, and it also cut just fine with the hotwire.

The weird thing I noticed with the Gripper is that only the outer 2 inches or so of the paint actually dried properly - the stuff that was in the center was still wet three or four days later when I cut it. The newly exposed edges did dry up nicely and it's all held together very securely - but it was a surprise. Maybe I put down too thick of a layer of the paint, or needed to let it air dry for a while like contact cement before clamping the parts together.

This evening I flipped the wing box over and use gorilla glue on the final set of joints for the ribs and trailing edge. You can see some of the mess on the main spar line where I got impatient and did the glue joint last night where it was upside down and dribbled down the ribs a bit.

20180620_211052-800x450.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And here's the part where I realize I made a big mistake. :(

Wing taper. Forgot all about accounting for that in the shape of the box. Here are the three rib shapes that I need to cut and it's pretty obvious this ain't working with a square box. *sigh*

20180621_182322-1280x720.jpg

The nice thing about mistakes in foam is it's pretty quick to make changes. So first I cut the box in half where the taper changes shape. Then I cut the end of the ribs off at the trailing edge and reglued it at the proper angle. Those rib joints are going to be pretty messy, but hey - it's all getting covered with foam sheeting so what the heck!
20180621_190751-1280x720.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And here's after cutting the other side to get the leading edge angle in place. Now just need to fix the other half of the box.
20180622_165520-1024x576.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
But looking at it made me lean to the left. I cant unsee that!! I nearly broke my nose on the wall when I got up to go pee because I lean to the left now.

All kidding aside glad you could save it and keep moving forward mate.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
More progress. Last part of the ribs and leading edge adjustment.

20180624_224508-800x450-800x450.jpg

And now correcting a bad angle with some more foam.
20180625_231647-800x450.jpg

And now slicing the boxes in half - here's both wings laid out :D
20180626_184919-800x450.jpg

And getting ready to hotwire cut the wing shape :D
20180626_190154-800x450.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A top curve...
20180626_212932-800x450.jpg

And then one section is done!
20180626_220603-800x450.jpg

And another...
20180626_213257-800x450.jpg

Right wing panel all cut out...
20180626_215247-800x450.jpg

And the left too!
20180626_222144-800x450.jpg

Dang that's big - so big I can't assemble it all with the 32" center section in my shop. Going to need to be careful about the hangar rash while working on this...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thinking about the next couple steps here...

- Sand off the rough spots on the new wing panels
- Cut off trailing edge of inner panels and replace with balsa strip
- Cut off trailing edge of outer panels, add framing for ailerons
- Glue fan fold bottoms onto wing panels
- Measure and make jig for slight polyhedral angle on wing tips
- Cut holes for wing tubes
- Install alignment tubes and pegs
- Cut holes and install wiring tubes to aileron servos
- Install framing for aileron servos
- Glue on top fan fold panels
- Sand wing section roots to create proper angles
- Glue outer wing sections together
- Weigh all the parts of the beast
- Figure out power system

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Forget the panels cover those up in giant feathers and add leather hand straps. You could be Icarus for Halloween. Ill even cut a video of the song for you hehe. Ill bet you could get a serious glide slope hanging from them things just jumping off the shop roof.