More Bashing of RC Hobby

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I had this come through on my Facebook feed from the FPV (Multi-Rotor, Heli and Fixed wing) group.

View attachment 45411
Here is the link to the article: www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/events/kentucky-derby/festival/2015/04/15/what-you-can-cannot-bring-to-thunder-over-louisville-2015/25807157/

I have emailed the writer of this article, and thought I would share it here, and give everyone else the opportunity to read it and do the same if so inclined. Here is the writers email Address: "jpuckett@courier-journal.com" <jpuckett@courier-journal.com>

Here is my email to him:

Mr. Puckett,

I am sure that you are a respected writer for the Courier Journal. While I have not read any of your articles before, I did read "What you can and cannot bring to Thunder".

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I take exception to your comment "Drones. It'd be nice to say they're banned just because they're dumb, but the Federal Aviation Administration frowns upon actual planes sharing airspace with idiot-powered drones."

I am a RC enthusiast, and have been for quite some time now, and this comment about people that fly multi rotors, "drones" (as the press continues to improperly call them) I take personally. I am no idiot, and I don't think you necessarily are.

But with comments like the one you have written in your article does indeed make me have my reservations about your education. I am not an idiot, as you so grouped all multi rotor pilots. I am a well respected man in my field of work, and in my community. I do not fly my multi rotors in a unsafe or unlawful way.

Please do not lump all RC pilots as unsafe and lawbreaking people, in a way that is a detriment to my hobby. I think you should at least specify as to what group of people need to be told that an airshow, airport or anything of the sort is no place to bring a multi rotor and fly.

Your statements are condescending and really are a slap in the face to the safe and lawful hobbyists and we really do not feel as though we deserve the treatment you are writing. My guess is that you would not write and say that someones race, religion, or sexual orientation would all be idiots as that would be bigotry and I feel that you have done what you are against by doing just such a thing to RC pilots.

I will wait patiently for an apology to all RC pilots publicly and for the few that truly are idiots, you may call them whatever you would like.

I will give you permission to print my email in its entirety without omission and look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you for your time,

Michael Finley
Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member #990244

I am in hope that we can educate this person and show that we are not idiots, and he may be the idiot.

Let us hope!!!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Mike, I think you were much nicer than I would have been. I probably would have questioned his mental abilities or asked if he needs a proctologist to help with glasses or hat wearing, or any number of other slurs I won't repeat here. Not that I have a problem politely explaining our hobby to anyone in person, but journalists on the whole seem to aspire to be lower life forms, feeding on carnage, disaster and sorrow, and therefore create a large part of the sheeples' problems of fear-mongering, all in the name of ratings. Go 'Murica!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Mike, I think you were much nicer than I would have been. I probably would have questioned his mental abilities or asked if he needs a proctologist to help with glasses or hat wearing, or any number of other slurs I won't repeat here. Not that I have a problem politely explaining our hobby to anyone in person, but journalists on the whole seem to aspire to be lower life forms, feeding on carnage, disaster and sorrow, and therefore create a large part of the sheeples' problems of fear-mongering, all in the name of ratings. Go 'Murica!

Well, I am sure you know I wanted to say more... But, I was trying to take the high road and keep my anger in check. Not that I didn't want to beat him down, but if I can say it in a way that shows him that we are not idiots, it helps our hobby much more. There are plenty out there that will I am sure say things that I will not say here, but I thought it would be better to be the voice of reason instead of flying off the handle.

I have to thank the FT crew for making me think about how I want to represent the hobby as a whole, Josh educated me on that when the whole FAA thing started.

So thanks Josh Bixler!!!

Mike

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
It's about whatever sells at the moment. Right now drone articles can make you money. So can any political scandal real or not. There is news and there is entertainment. Some people are very entertained by watching others being grouped, labeled, and crucified.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
so did he reply or are you still waiting

Not yet airhawk... I imagine (hoping) that he was flooded with emails and it may take some time. Either that, or he won't because being called out is embarrassing and he can't handle it.

MT Alex

From the overall tone of the article, seems like you are trying to cast pearls before swine.

earthsciteach

Here is my email to the author:
Mr. Puckett,I am emailing regarding your comments related to "drones" in the article referenced in the subject line of this email. I would really like to say I'm highly offended by your comments, but you pretty much nailed one part of a two part problem related to the public's perception of drones. The drones you reference are simply radio controlled hobby aircraft which have been around since the first half of the 20th century. The problem with today's rc aircraft is that they can be bought, off-the-shelf, by anyone with enough money in their pocket.

This is a new problem because, in the past, to simply build an rc aircraft was quite an undertaking. One would spend months piecing together a model aircraft from delicate balsa wood. Once one of these models is built, putting it into the air is a nerve-wracking, high-pucker-factor ordeal. The first flight usually consists of a couple of circles around the flying field accompanied by vigorous prayer. If fortunate enough to land the model safely, the owner can then relax - until the next flight. Today, anyone can buy a viable model aircraft that is capable of flying despite their level of idiocy. And, they are affordable, damned near disposable if you have deep pockets. Interesting how Darwinism doesn't necessarily apply to the gain of material wealth despite the whole concept being based upon the thoughts of an economist.

Too many of these people don't even stop to consider the danger they could pose to the public. Funny thing is, one does not need experience in the RC hobby to know this. Its just plain, old common sense. But, that gets into an entirely different problem that is more pervasive in our society. Its appearance regarding the operation of RC aircraft shouldn't be surprising.

The second problem is an offshoot of the third and that is media sensationalism. News media is a competitive venture and anyone with common sense knows that. The use of the term, "drone," by our news media was not one of ignorance nor innocence. Unmanned military aircraft have been referred to as drones since the time of WWII. It is part of the American vernacular. However, there has always been a distinction between remotely controlled aircraft for hobby use and those of military use. The utilization of the term, drone, is nothing more than news media pandering to the baseless fears of the lowest common denominator among us in terms of common sense. And, it gets ratings.

You accurately identified the problem with these RC aircraft as being, "…idiot-powered drones." However, your statement that "…drones are dumb," is either born of ignorance on your part or is another pandering to those basest of fears. Please, spend some time and learn a bit about the capabilities of these aircraft and the struggle of those who are trying to develop them for positive use if you are not informed. If you are simply making a statement that is either intended to be funny or worse, please stop. You are only hurting a developing, positive industry.

Thank you,

Patrick MurphyPhysics Teacher
Mechanical Engineer
RC Enthusiast

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
He is not that wrong with "dumb drones". Because if they were more intelligent than being able to follow waypoints, I'd be scared as heck. :)

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Nice job Pat!

I appreciate the email as well. You said it much better than I did, and I hope this guy does take a hint. I doubt it, but we as a community really need to start rallying together more and show the media that the hobby isn't a bunch of idiots flying dangerously and trying to peep in some windows or trying to be as dangerous as possible.

The innovations that this hobby and the RC community shares with science, agriculture, police, fire, and everywhere else it is used for doing good things should be highlighted and praised.

Lets do what we can to help keep the bad from killing the hobby that we all love so much!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
...we as a community really need to start rallying together more and show the media that the hobby isn't a bunch of idiots flying dangerously and trying to peep in some windows or trying to be as dangerous as possible.
Ah geez....I need to change my flying habits then! :p

You guys know I'm only kidding. I can't keep it in the air long enough to spy on anyone!

mesolost

I went with short and sweet and clicked send before I edited it for more than spelling.

my mail simply read:
Are you really gonna say all multi-rotor pilots are idiots? That's like me saying all reporters are idiots just because of your article. As a reporter who's words are most assuredly in view of everyone on the planet, I would think you would choose them more carefully.

mesolost

I GOT A REPLY!

Here's his reply.

In the interest of fairness, go ahead and explain to me why it’s a good idea for multi-rotor pilots to indulge their hobby in a crowd of 200,000 people, especially at an air show bound by FAA regulations. Or in any public space, really. What exactly is the justification?

And my retort.

Because we're bound by the same rules as the planes you have no problem with. We must obey the flight line. We must maintain our equipment and fly in a safe manner and immediately discontinue flight if there are any problems. Multi rotors are bound by the same rules as the model aircraft so it is ILLEGAL for them to fly over crowds and we KNOW THIS! That is why we follow the AMA rules which are guided by the FAA rules. To unfairly say ALL multi-rotor pilots and craft are unsafe means you MUST YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST say that EVERYONE following the rules is unsafe and therefore shouldn't fly. Whenever you say ALL or NONE your statement is immediately wrong! There are always exceptions. Yes there are some dumb ass pilots with unsafe craft but that doesn't mean EVERY pilot and EVERY craft is unsafe. If you had passed high school then these details to the English language would be known to you.

So in all fairness, please explain to me why it's safer for a ballistic object to be in the air than a controlled hover craft? Explain to me why you just assume that the multi-rotor pilots are going to violate the rules and fly over the crowd? Explain to me the problem with the AMA rules to which we all follow. Explain to me why it's fair to publicly and unfairly trash people you have never met. Explain to me why a biased reporter finds it perfectly ok to state their opinion as pure fact in the media.

---------------------------

So let's see what he says after choking on that.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Here's his reply.

In the interest of fairness, go ahead and explain to me why it’s a good idea for multi-rotor pilots to indulge their hobby in a crowd of 200,000 people, especially at an air show bound by FAA regulations. Or in any public space, really. What exactly is the justification?

And my retort.

Because we're bound by the same rules as the planes you have no problem with. We must obey the flight line. We must maintain our equipment and fly in a safe manner and immediately discontinue flight if there are any problems. Multi rotors are bound by the same rules as the model aircraft so it is ILLEGAL for them to fly over crowds and we KNOW THIS! That is why we follow the AMA rules which are guided by the FAA rules. To unfairly say ALL multi-rotor pilots and craft are unsafe means you MUST YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST say that EVERYONE following the rules is unsafe and therefore shouldn't fly. Whenever you say ALL or NONE your statement is immediately wrong! There are always exceptions. Yes there are some dumb ass pilots with unsafe craft but that doesn't mean EVERY pilot and EVERY craft is unsafe. If you had passed high school then these details to the English language would be known to you.

So in all fairness, please explain to me why it's safer for a ballistic object to be in the air than a controlled hover craft? Explain to me why you just assume that the multi-rotor pilots are going to violate the rules and fly over the crowd? Explain to me the problem with the AMA rules to which we all follow. Explain to me why it's fair to publicly and unfairly trash people you have never met. Explain to me why a biased reporter finds it perfectly ok to state their opinion as pure fact in the media.

---------------------------

So let's see what he says after choking on that.

At least you got a reply... I still got nothing from him... I guess I was too nice. :(

mesolost

That's why I started with short and sweet, draw him in calmly. Then when he thinks he's bashing me he's really just setting himself up to fail. ^_^

MrClean

Mesolost you kinda fell into the same trap he did. First off, its not against the law to fly over crowds with your model it's against the AMA rules. Second you say " Explain to me the problem with the AMA rules to which we all follow." which is one of the problems, our problem pilots are NOT following AMA guidelines so "we all" is not true. Again an all or nothing statement.

Then you insulted him by saying "if you had graduated high school these details to the English language would be known to you" It's a pretty good bet he graduated high school or at least obtained a GED although in this age of Twitter Journalism anything is possible I guess. The thing is if you're going to fight ignorance with logic you need to stick to the logic and leave the petty shots out of it. It might provoke a response but it most likely will also have him entrenching and not realizing that he was wrong.

And this comes with me pretty much agreeing with you, for although I am a master at just rubbing folks the wrong way with my general banter I do have some background with the English language. Okay, maybe English is a stretch. Bad English and I'm only partly fluent with it. Plus, I'm an ass. If you get more communication with this idjut, please remember to calmly disassemble his ignorance. I'd already have told him to go Francis Union himself and that just don't get far in moving a point along.

Good Luck

Last edited:

airhawk

Crashing Ace
how about this if you chooses to email the guy don't bash him your giving his "idiot fueled drones" statement more power have a discussion not a fight just want to put that out there
thanks
-Airhawk:)

mesolost

Well I may not have taken the road that you would have taken but I think I may have had an impact. And I know I have "we all" but I also specifically state that there are exceptions to the rules.

Reply I woke up to:

I get what you&#8217;re saying, of course, having graduated high school and all. I think that most people accepted that what I wrote was a joke and tried to have a sense of humor about it. I can promise you that my days of tangling with multi-rotor pilots are over.

So I replied:

Thank you. It's not necessarily you we have the problem with. We have been following the rules and have been trying to get the word "drone" removed from use in our hobby. It seems that everywhere in the media they're taking one bad incident and labeling all of us as such. It's kinda like you see one drunk driver hit a person and now you think all drivers are drunken idiots that are aiming for mass destruction. It's quite a struggle for us to change that image and we as a community appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this manner. I thank you for your timely responses and wish you all the best. ^_^