Moth Minor Swappable - design, build, and review log

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Nerdnic,

Did you design the canopy you used on your clipped wing Spitfire?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm glad you don't mind the input. I wouldn't want you to have to design by committee and I trust your decisions. I'd like to try my hand at my own design sometime soon. I'm in an apartment and I'm cautious about just how much mess my wife will tolerate. ;) Keep up the good work!

I personally don't care if you make the wings removable or not. There are enough removable wing designs in the standard FT library to make the modifications on my own. After breaking the wings mounts out of my Spitfire a couple of times, I've gotten pretty comfortable just gluing stuff in where it looks right.

I definitely don't mind the input! And because of your catch I also noticed that the wings were not scaled properly. I had them at 48in to a 30in fuse while the nnBucker had 53in wingspan and 31in fuse. The Moth Minor and Bucker were very close in size so I knew something was off.

I have made the proper adjustments and now I'm sitting at 52.5 and 30, which is much closer to scale proportions.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi again

I found an idea for the nose that should work good. This is for a coroplast plane built by "Whiskers" on RcGroups, but I'm sure something similar could be done maybe with some foam going into the fuselage and skewers through from the sides.
I never notice the elastics holding on the wings of my Spit in the air, but I would notice a DH plane not having a DH nose, Those of us who are not overly worried about moving avionics between planes could just glue something like this to the front of the power pod.

I don't have all that much time for building and still have the Mustang to finish, so I'll be waiting for your maiden before I start cutting foam. I know allready that this will be one sweet flying machine.

:)

Owen

Owen that's a great find. I have an idea to try with poster board but this is something else I'll play around with.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nerdnic,

Did you design the canopy you used on your clipped wing Spitfire?

Yeah. It's very basic. I took the idea of how the spit nose poster board is and just bent it a little more to get the proper angle and then cleaned up the edges so it had the right shape.

It takes about 1 minute to make and I thought it had a good look over the standard 'speed' canopy.

JohnRambozo

I definitely don't mind the input! And because of your catch I also noticed that the wings were not scaled properly. I had them at 48in to a 30in fuse while the nnBucker had 53in wingspan and 31in fuse. The Moth Minor and Bucker were very close in size so I knew something was off.

I have made the proper adjustments and now I'm sitting at 52.5 and 30, which is much closer to scale proportions.

That is a fortunate discovery early in the design phase. I'm glad I could help. :) I'm still waiting on my servos, so I rebuilt my spitfire wing. The dihedral was way too much after my last repair job. I'm going to post some details of the rebuild to show the hot glue soaked spar I made. Its practically indestructible.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Beta 1 plans are nearly done. Should be ready by this evening. The beta 1 plans should be significantly better than the nnBucker beta 1 plans. Even though I've not been able to re use any of the work, I definitely learned from the experience and have made the 'right' decisions the first time with the Moth Minor.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Updated first post - added beta 1 plans. I will begin my build soon and work out any bugs. I also plan to get the poster board pieces ready for the beta 2 plans as well as figure out this things nose..

Stay tuned!

jayz 84

Wow nerdnic nice plane i think ill put this one on my list i have the same motor in my full size spit with a 10x5 prop. Is it gonna have that size power pod or different scale

jayz 84

Thanks man well this one for sure is on my build list "nice job on the build

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Oh I've not actually built it yet, just made the beta 1 plans. I will be building my first one in the next few days.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Plans printed, time to start cutting some foam!

qJkhKxi.jpg

JohnRambozo

It looks good already! Nice shape on the h.stab/elevator and those ailerons mean business.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Got my wing built, had to make a bunch of changes to the design. It came out great I think!

I will post pictures and update the plans shortly.

JohnRambozo

First post updated - added beta 1 wing build to build log.

Those are some interesting changes you had to make. This is becoming an intermediate / advanced build with those tapered spars. Its fun to see the problem-solving in action. The wing looks great.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks guys! I will be working on the fuse tonight and I will post pictures and details as I go.