Moth Minor Swappable - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I got the fuse built, wing installed, tail feathers on and will post pictures shortly. I am now working on the poster board and nose!

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks! I can't take credit for the yard, though. That's the side area next to my apartment. :)

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
First post updated - added beta 1 build photos. Let me know what you guys think!

Must build nnMothMinor! Its beautiful already. Little things about it make me think I'll really like this one. The rounded tail and those big ailerons are really appealing.

Great idea adding the power pod guides. I tried putting the power pod in my nnBucker last night and found it to be pretty difficult. Since I have a removable wing, I had planned to add something like that myself. Maybe right where the skewer goes for extra strength.

nagromnewo

Hi

She's coming along nicely. However, it looks like you have some fuselage under the wing? Looking at the full size MM on various sites, it looks like the underside of the wing is flush with the fuselage which would make it easier to make a removable wing and a functional air brake. If you feel you need something below the wing for initial lining up, you could always do something sacrificial that you remove once you're happy with all your angles etc.

Hopefully, you'll have some finalized plans soon. My Chrome FT Mustang is almost done and Donna is going away for a week which means I'll have to get into some serious building to survive the loneliness... Motors, ESCs and servos for the nnMothMinor and a couple of other projects arrived yesterday along with bars and stars for the Mustang.

First project is probably a SloGo for myself since I really enjoy flying the one I designed and built for Donna and it's a very quick build. I'll do mine with less dihedral, ailerons and a little bigger motor.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2198529#post29078888

Owen

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Must build nnMothMinor! Its beautiful already. Little things about it make me think I'll really like this one. The rounded tail and those big ailerons are really appealing.

Great idea adding the power pod guides. I tried putting the power pod in my nnBucker last night and found it to be pretty difficult. Since I have a removable wing, I had planned to add something like that myself. Maybe right where the skewer goes for extra strength.

I think the guides will help a lot. Let me know how it goes with your nnBucker.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi

She's coming along nicely. However, it looks like you have some fuselage under the wing? Looking at the full size MM on various sites, it looks like the underside of the wing is flush with the fuselage which would make it easier to make a removable wing and a functional air brake. If you feel you need something below the wing for initial lining up, you could always do something sacrificial that you remove once you're happy with all your angles etc.

Hopefully, you'll have some finalized plans soon. My Chrome FT Mustang is almost done and Donna is going away for a week which means I'll have to get into some serious building to survive the loneliness... Motors, ESCs and servos for the nnMothMinor and a couple of other projects arrived yesterday along with bars and stars for the Mustang.

First project is probably a SloGo for myself since I really enjoy flying the one I desgned and built for Donna and it's a very quick build. I'll do mine with less dihedral, ailerons and a little bigger motor.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2198529#post29078888

Owen

You bring up a point that I've been going over during my designing and I'd like to try it. Having a flush fuse/wing would be a great step toward a scale build. I will make a fuse with no bottom under the wing for those wanting to do a removable wing but I'll also keep the current design as an option for those who don't want to build a removable wing.

JohnRambozo

You bring up a point that I've been going over during my designing and I'd like to try it. Having a flush fuse/wing would be a great step toward a scale build. I will make a fuse with no bottom under the wing for those wanting to do a removable wing but I'll also keep the current design as an option for those who don't want to build a removable wing.

I can see where scale would be a consideration, but its not important for a removable wing design. On the other hand, you might need a removable wing design if you choose to go for the scale flush wing just for the rubber band supports.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I can see where scale would be a consideration, but its not important for a removable wing design. On the other hand, you might need a removable wing design if you choose to go for the scale flush wing just for the rubber band supports.

My only worry is alignment. The rubber bands hold everything fine and is strong enough but the sliver of fuse that is still on the wing with the standard design helps with alignment. I think it would be fine as long as there are some guides on top of the wing to keep everything seated correctly when in contact with the fuse.

I am still playing around with the idea, but right now I'm not super motivated to build another complete nnMoth Minor to test this when my beta 1 hasn't even flown yet. I am focusing on getting all the bugs worked out of the beta 1 and see how she flies and then I'll continue to explore the flush wing idea. I'm just over 20 changes/additions for the beta 2 plans as of right now, and I should have them posted by Thursday.

I spent the last few hours designing the poster board coverings and nose. I am not fully done with the nose yet but so far it is looking pretty good. I am trying to keep the design simple yet scale all while still allowing for a normal power pod set up to be used. This is quite tricky. The end result will be a less than perfect scale look but I am okay with that. You can only do so much with DTFB and poster board but the power pod is probably the most limiting factor when trying to make a really sweet enclosed nose.

I thought about ditching the swappable idea all together but ultimately I don't think that's a good idea. The swappable platform is more versatile and appealing to others in general and the nnMoth Minor stands a better chance of being built and loved by others if a familiar platform is used.

JohnRambozo

My only worry is alignment. The rubber bands hold everything fine and is strong enough but the sliver of fuse that is still on the wing with the standard design helps with alignment. I think it would be fine as long as there are some guides on top of the wing to keep everything seated correctly when in contact with the fuse.

I am still playing around with the idea, but right now I'm not super motivated to build another complete nnMoth Minor to test this when my beta 1 hasn't even flown yet. I am focusing on getting all the bugs worked out of the beta 1 and see how she flies and then I'll continue to explore the flush wing idea. I'm just over 20 changes/additions for the beta 2 plans as of right now, and I should have them posted by Thursday.

I spent the last few hours designing the poster board coverings and nose. I am not fully done with the nose yet but so far it is looking pretty good. I am trying to keep the design simple yet scale all while still allowing for a normal power pod set up to be used. This is quite tricky. The end result will be a less than perfect scale look but I am okay with that. You can only do so much with DTFB and poster board but the power pod is probably the most limiting factor when trying to make a really sweet enclosed nose.

I thought about ditching the swappable idea all together but ultimately I don't think that's a good idea. The swappable platform is more versatile and appealing to others in general and the nnMoth Minor stands a better chance of being built and loved by others if a familiar platform is used.

Agreed. Keep doing what you're doing. A slight sacrifice to scale accuracy in favor of a sound and repeatable design makes the most sense to me, too.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah I think that's best. I completed the beta 2 plans on my lunch break. Should I post them or wait till I maiden beta 1 to make sure everything checks out?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
First post updated - added first look at the nose to the build log, let me know what you guys think of the look so far!

JohnRambozo

First post updated - added first look at the nose to the build log, let me know what you guys think of the look so far!

The roundness throughout the plane and the clean lines are great. You've captured the elegance. Nice job.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
First post updated - added beta 2 plans, change log, and updated the build log with the final nose design.

jayz 84

Really like the beta 2 look it came out real nice. And a great motor to go with it.same one i have in my full size spit, you can run a 10x4- a 10x7 nicely on that motor on 3s unless you like that 9x6, i run 4s with that prop with a 50amp and stays cool. Really like the nose cowl great idea

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks man. 9x6 gives decent power and low amp draw so I get really long flights. I use this set up on my lazy fly planes.

nagromnewo

Hi

I'm waiting with bated breath for the maiden. (That would sound weird in anything but a boat or plane forum...)

I'm having a little trouble with this thread. There are now so many large pictures on the first page that my computer crashes trying to display it. I can see it on my tablet or phone, but the big computer runs out of steam about halfway into loading the page... I'm sure I'm not the only one with an older system that would like to be able to read this thread... (No budget for a newer computer, I need the money for airplane stuff...)

Anyway, what I have seen looks gorgeous. I'm thinking this is going to be one of the favourite planes in my fleet. Maybe you can get FliteTest to sell them as kits or if you have access to a lazer cutter, you could do it yourself. Actually, I think Ken of modelplanefoam has one or has access to one... He has kitted flat foam planes for other designers as well as his own designs. Let me know if you want me to ask him, or just send him a message and mention me.

Owen

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi

I'm waiting with bated breath for the maiden. (That would sound weird in anything but a boat or plane forum...)

I'm having a little trouble with this thread. There are now so many large pictures on the first page that my computer crashes trying to display it. I can see it on my tablet or phone, but the big computer runs out of steam about halfway into loading the page... I'm sure I'm not the only one with an older system that would like to be able to read this thread... (No budget for a newer computer, I need the money for airplane stuff...)

Anyway, what I have seen looks gorgeous. I'm thinking this is going to be one of the favourite planes in my fleet. Maybe you can get FliteTest to sell them as kits or if you have access to a lazer cutter, you could do it yourself. Actually, I think Ken of modelplanefoam has one or has access to one... He has kitted flat foam planes for other designers as well as his own designs. Let me know if you want me to ask him, or just send him a message and mention me.

Owen

I will see about reducing the size of the images, I wasn't aware it was causing an issue for some. Thanks for the heads up.

I am definitely open to working with FT or making them myself but I don't have access to any of the machinery. I am not familiar with Ken modelplanefoam, is this a normal thing he does?