Moth Minor Swappable - design, build, and review log

jamboree1

Still have a couple of planes to finish then that one is next. Hopefully get to Nics build and do a few before spring. I'm thrilled every time he brings out another plane cause Im not really into minis or flying aircraft carriers! lol

I agree, i have enough store bought minis to want to build a mini and i'm limited to a max of 6' wings or 50" long fuse for transportation issues

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Still have a couple of planes to finish then that one is next. Hopefully get to Nics build and do a few before spring. I'm thrilled every time he brings out another plane cause Im not really into minis or flying aircraft carriers! lol

Scraps mini aircraft carrier design. Yeah dude I hear you!

:p

I know of three other nnMoths now. Ben Preston from RC groups, egunderson and jamboree1 from here on the FT forums.

jamboree1

I never thought to post on RCG, i know the article is there, Nic, feel free to use my pics there if you want

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Cool, thanks. I usually post my threads on RCG but get very little response there, it's a bummer.

jamboree1

Yeah, RCG isn't as active on DTFB as here, also not nearly as friendly or as community based as FT. I'm know as Lawn Dart Flyer on RCG

abieex

Mentor
Im starting to think of ways to include some balsa into my builds. I'm just not happy with the way my planes hold up after a couple of trips to the field. Possible uses would be leading edges, ailerons and tail feathers. Not sure it will work but maybe worth a try. Thanks nerdnic for all your work.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Im starting to think of ways to include some balsa into my builds. I'm just not happy with the way my planes hold up after a couple of trips to the field. Possible uses would be leading edges, ailerons and tail feathers. Not sure it will work but maybe worth a try. Thanks nerdnic for all your work.

Yeah I've thought of this also. I use BBQ skewers to strengthen wing tips and hstabs but I've not actually put anything to use for edges.

I have started ironing my edges though.. and oh man the result is pretty sick. Also, yes I am planning to attend FF2015!

jamboree1

I'm tempted to build another Moth, but this time adding a top wing to make some sort of bastardized tiger moth. As it seems I can't find a finished DTFB plan for one

jamboree1

looking at pictures of a tiger moth, looks almost exactly like the minor, minus the top wing, this should be an easy mod to do after i figure out a top support brace setup. Thinking something like the baby blender supports.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Ah, I wonder how hard it would be to make a conversion kit. That will be cool to offer both.

jamboree1

I just printed out another set of plans and will start the build this weekend for the nnMoth Minor Tiger Moth edition

jamboree1

ooops. overloaded the esc Photo0316.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Oh no! Bummer man. Was it the heat or just overloaded? I've had really good luck with the dynam/hobbywing pentuim series escs. I highly suggest them.

Can't wait to see your tiger moth!

jamboree1

Oh no! Bummer man. Was it the heat or just overloaded? I've had really good luck with the dynam/hobbywing pentuim series escs. I highly suggest them.

Can't wait to see your tiger moth!

It was an eflite 30a, 40a burst, my motor maxes out 32a. Guess i had 1 too many high speed runs too close together. I actually started the fuse for the tiger moth tonight but i need to redo it as i accidently did an A fold