Moth Minor Swappable - design, build, and review log

jamboree1

I have all the time consuming work finished. Cutting out and assembling 2 sets of wings took a long time, although the top wing was quite a bit faster, no servos or ailerons to cut. I plan on making a wing support similar to the Baby Blender, but will be adding a center support also. I had several better ideas on how to make the wing supports more scale but I decided to stick with the basic flitetest format of using foamboard, as this will keep it simple for others to mimic. (heh, like there will be others following my madness). I'm not sure if this build should have it's own post but i feel like this post will attract more followers. 150208_001.jpg

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
That Tiger Moth mod is looking cool!

BTW, a Tiger Moth thread is HERE but I don't think he ever finished. It looked really good tho.

jamboree1

Thanks guys. I have seen the ohter tiger moth build but it is unproven. It also used 3d printer parts in which I don't have access to. As far as i can tell by looking at pictures, a tiger moth is just a moth minor with a top wing.

Bayboos

Looking good man! Now you're making me want to design a real TM. haha.

+3 on Tiger Moth; and/or (preferably and) Bucker Jungmann, if possible. And then, when time allows and you will still want to design an extraordinary biplane, An-2 is still waiting for any decent foam plans... :D

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks guys. I have seen the ohter tiger moth build but it is unproven. It also used 3d printer parts in which I don't have access to. As far as i can tell by looking at pictures, a tiger moth is just a moth minor with a top wing.

It's actually a little different. The wing tips are wider and the tail feathers have larger control surfaces. Fuse seems the same though. It wouldn't take much to design a TM. I'm gonna put it on list!

jamboree1

The build for my Tiger Moth is complete, sans paint and graphics. I don't paint my planes until after the maiden. Here is how my wing support looks before installation, kinda wished I used an I beam but i wanted better support. The mid braces are 1/4" dowels. 150212_002.jpg 150213_002.jpg 150213_003.jpg 150213_004.jpg 150213_005.jpg 150213_005.jpg

jamboree1

I did the maiden, basically went OK but not awesome. Variable wind direction up to 8 mph makes for some tedious flying for a maiden. My first thoughts, this thing has more lift than the Hindenberg. I was abled to use my largest 3 cell 2200 in it and couldn't keep the nose down very easily. I tried every prop I had for this motor from a 7x4, 8x4, 8x6 9x4.7, 9x6 (preffered prop for the moth minor) and a 10x6. It seemed to like the 9x4.7 sf the best as it had the low speed thrust this plane needs. Flying fast isn't really an option and go to slow, well it has the lift but it will tip stall and the ailerons and rudder don't have the authority to overcome this quickly. And oh yeah, this plane like rudder, lots of it, probably needs a true tiger moth tail feather set up. There is on change I really need to do and I can't see how other than a new wing. The current ailerons are on the outboard of the wings and I think they need to be on the inboard to make use of the prop wash for slow speed turns. If anyone has ideas let me know. Maybe making the ailerons full wing width? AUW on this came out to 27 oz with 1300 battery, far lighter than i expected. I was thinking of maybe a 2 cell setup and bigger prop might be better for this plane. Feedback on this would be welcomed.

jamboree1

I finally had time to splash some paint on the Tiger Moth-ish. I still need to come up with some more color scheme 150220_002.jpg 150220_003.jpg

abah

My First Moth Minor

nnMoth Minor with different appearances.
I tried to make Moth Minor with a slightly different appearance I made my way.
Thank you Mr Nerdnic

Attachments

• IMG_5859.JPG
    IMG_5859.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5858.JPG
    IMG_5858.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5857.JPG
    IMG_5857.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5856.JPG
    IMG_5856.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5853.JPG
    IMG_5853.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

jamboree1

Abah, that is a beautiful color scheme you did with this plane. I'm sure your maiden will be a success and you will love the way it flies

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Very cool scheme. I noticed you don't have any servos installed, are you just waiting on some or will this one not be powered?

abah

Moth minnor already there is interest

Very cool scheme. I noticed you don't have any servos installed, are you just waiting on some or will this one not be powered?

Thank you mr. Nerdnic. Servo is not yet installed, I am still waiting for servo and other electronic equipment to my post on this plane.
However ade a friend who wanted to buy a minor moth that I made this. It seems I was forced to let go, I'll make another one.

abah

IMG_6089.jpg
IMG_6090.jpg
IMG_6091.jpg

This is the second Moth that I made, still with stylish colors according to what I like.
At the top of the fuselage I used a 5mm foam that I bend it, I do not use paper because the paper was too soft.
I also changed the front of the picture plane like this.
Hopefully this way can be ispirasi friends in this forum. Thank you

gabrielete

I'm going to paint it yellow too, but first lets see if she flies. Really really tail heavy, had to move the battery all the way forward, and still maybe it's not enough...
IMG-20150524-WA0008.jpeg