Mountain Models EVA Bi-Plane, Balsa Build Along Build Thread

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Don't forget that your opportunity to even buy the Bipe kit may be gone soon, depending on the future of MM.

Yeah, a sobering thought. There are about 4 MM kits I want to pick up in the next couple weeks.

And I really hope a good organization like Flite Test makes him a good offer for the company. Brian deserves it, and it would be a huge loss to the modeling community to lose these kits.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I wanted to get this work done last weekend, but I was out of commission for 4 days with some pretty bad spasms in my neck. It got to the point where I could only look up & down with about 60% movement. Tilting my head side-to-side or turning left or right I had maybe 5% movement without much pain. Try driving, sleeping, or just about any daily activity without moving your head, it kind of sucks! :)

So I spent time on & off this weekend getting the EVA Bipe ready for a maiden flight and also for the trip to Malvern Ohio for Flite Fest. Servos were installed and linkages added. The rudder was installed and hinged with Blenderm tape. The ESC and RX were installed and tested. A plywood base was added for the landing gear (an upgrade that Mountain Models should have incorporated into the base kit). Wheels were installed and the stock wheel covers were removed as I'll be flying off of grass.

A few items still need to be done before the maiden:
  • Program the TX for high/low rates and expo.
  • Slightly bend the landing gear for a better stance.
  • Install the battery Velcro and find the CoG.
  • Do the final trim on the cowl and add the mounting blocks, and add some paint to cowl.
  • Remove & replace the yellow "tab" currently used to open the hatch.
  • LocTite the pushrod ends.
  • Paint a few misc. pieces blue.
  • Cut and install some more vinyl for the fuselage sides.
  • Pick an appropriate prop.

You'll see I also added a little vinyl to the upper wing. I couldn't decide what font to use, and figured this was as good as any! I've also said it before and will say it again, I love those SoLite transparent colors! :)

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Months later and the EVA Bipe still hasn't flown. I didn't take it to Flite Fest, and really haven't even looked at it since that last post as I got distracted by other projects. Last night after finishing up the Sig Kadet Mk.1 project I was looking at my horde of planes and kits trying to decide what would be next, and then I remembered the EVA and how close it was to being ready.

I pulled it off the rack and checked it out, and all it really needed is a prop, programming of the transmitter, and a little re-bending of the landing gear. The cowl isn't done, but that isn't needed to fly. So a battery is charging now, for a possible maiden today. Finally.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
You were just waiting for the right moment to inspire me to start glaring hard at my Bipe kit.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Looking forward to your maiden report and your impression of the bipe. I love mine. Just DON'T try to dead stick a landing unless you're coming in hot! Without a tiny bit of power on that extra drag will bite you about 2 feet from touchdown. It's not a floater like the Sport wing version. I had a few ugly landings before I finally got it right. I need to dust mine off and re-maiden with the modded tail feathers now that the temps are finally starting to get just below 100 degrees again.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Maiden Flight Report!

Conditions were not ideal for the EVA Bipe, but they were ideal *enough* to give it a shot. I dialed in low and high rates from the transmitter, and selected a 1500mAh 3 cell as the winds were brisk enough to warrant the extra weight. For calm weather I'll try a 1300 or even a 1000 3 cell. Only one flight was planned as I didn't have time to charge a second pack.

I usually start with high rates on a maiden just in case I need the extra throws, and will then switch to low rates depending on what happens.
Upon takeoff, it was EXTREMELY squirrely, so I dropped it into low-rates which helped a lot. It did need quite a bit of trim, which is not too surprising since it's got four very large ailerons and the tail surfaces are huge as well. I had to get some altitude to do the trimming, as the trees down low were really causing a lot of turbulence.

My rates are still too high for general flying and for smooth landing approaches, but they were good enough to fly out the pack and see what it can do. With high rate throws it was super responsive, and should be capable of most aerobatic maneuvers.

After 5 minutes of fighting the wind (at one point I was flying backwards) I lined up for a landing and brought it in on the grass nice and smoothly.

The items remaining on the "To-Do" list:
  • Adjust the rates
  • Install the cowl
  • Patch a small hole I put in the horizontal stab
  • Test with smaller batteries (in lower winds)
  • Install a decent canopy pull-tab to remove canopy

The EVA Bipe will be a nice addition to my park-flyers, and will fit in nicely with my other Mountain Models planes - the Switchback and the Lucky ACE. They all have different flight characteristics and on a nice day I can see taking all three out to play.

My buddy came along to fly, and took some video of the first minute or so, but it is mainly just me fighting to keep control and trimming it out. I'll see if he can do some more video when weather is better.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Sorry man. I should have told you to tame all surfaces. Responsive is an understatement. Glad you got her down OK. I just fired up the old reliable Futaba 9C that the bipe is still programmed into. My aileron settings are D/R 60% EXP 45%. Elevator D/R 75% EXP 25%. Rudder D/R 75% EXP 75%. Those are all LOW RATE settings. I never needed high rates with the EXP settings I use in low rate. She was nice and comfortable around stick center but downright wicked when banging the sticks! Your radio, control linkage positions etc mean you can't really use my numbers but it shows that a LOT of EXP is needed. Once adjusted to your tastes she flies like a trainer if you want. I normally flew with Gens Ace 3S 1550mah packs but on windy days she barely noticed 2200mah packs other than being more stable in the wind and needing just a bit more throttle when landing.

Hope you get a few more flights on her soon.

Joe