Mountain Models

abieex

Mentor
On January 3 I ordered a Lucky Ace from Mountain Models. Since that time I've received an email saying he would catch up with orders after a family vacation. Its almost 2 weeks since then and 3 weeks since order. I have to admit I'm getting a little nervous about this purchase. Anyone have experience with this company?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
They've got a good reputation. Several folks here are currently building from their kits. I suspect they're just running behind after the Christmas season. They're a smaller operation...wouldn't surprise me if they're based in someone's garage.

Noob

I have had a couple interactions with Mountain Models and am one of the folks here currently building from their kits. I would just send them an email and ask. In my experience Brian as been very good about responding to emails that I have sent. I know my Eva Bipe took a little longer to get to me because he had a little bit of a back log to laser cut the wings.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Brian runs a small company, pretty much solo from what I've heard. I'd just call him - he's a nice guy and I've talked with him a few times, and would not hesitate to order from him again. I will say his orders usually don't ship as fast as I'd like, but I'm impatient.

abieex

Mentor
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. Im a pretty patient guy so I'll just wait a little longer for what I understand to be a great kit.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'd still call him, just to be sure it's on the way to you. You'll love how easy that plane is to build, just be careful when making the batter hatch - the sheet needs to curve slightly to match the fuselage sides while the bottom of the hatch stays flat. It's a common mistake by builders of that plane.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Brian is busting his hump trying to finish up his engineering degree so between that and the business he's stretched pretty thin. I know his back is giving him problems again as well. As Joker said give him a call. He's not the greatest with e-mail. The phone will work best. You should have no fears about buying from Brian. When you get the kit it'll be well worth the wait!

Joe

abieex

Mentor
Brian sent an email to me yesterday saying my kit would be sent soon. Ill probably order another kit from him soon!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Good to hear. My dad just contacted me saying he was placing an order for their Around-2-It kit, along with some of the lightweight film.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I miss my Lucky Ace. Such a fun flyer when it's way overpowered with a Scorpion 2215-18 (1127kv) motor! Lost it due to tail failure caused when I had to do a panic stop for a *#&%$#@& moron that pulled out in front of me on the way to the flying site. My fault for not fully investigating the crunch I heard during that stop. The tail feathers departed the aircraft from about 200 feet up. Total loss of aircraft. I only salvaged two servos from the smoldering wreckage. I have a 150% prototype kit that Brian sent me and I finished a long, long time ago. I really do need to get out and maiden it one of these days.

Joe

Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
Lucky Ace 1.jpg

Here's a picture of my original Lucky Ace. R.I.P. Still looking for pictures of the 150% version. I may not have taken any because it was supposed to be a "secret" project. I may have to kill you if you see any....;)

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Shhhhh! He wasn't supposed to post it. He had the only other prototype in existence. Mine looks just like my original only I used metallic red Solarfilm this time. It never made it to production so I guess I can shoot some pix of mine. Will do it today if I ever finish up this heli I'm working on.

Joe

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Wow. I have heard of Mountain Models several times from reading the FT forums, but I never really checked out the web site before. It's only about 40 minutes from where I live. That's crazy! I've been thinking about trying to build with balsa again (was a line control flyer about 30 years ago). Might have to give one of the MM kits a try.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
There are a lot of companies which make the laser cut kits, but MM's are the best value of any I've done so far. Very good balsa quality, great instructions, a rabid fan base to get help from if needed, and most importantly the parts actually fit together properly!

My dad is building an L-19 from a short kit he got from another company and is finding problem after problem where the pre cut parts don't fit well or don't match the plans. It's a waste of time and money and he said he'd have been better off just building from scratch. Well, he also should have studied the build thread I did on that same L-19 where I pointed out all the problems! ��. While that may not be typical from all companies it is still something to consider. The three easiest balsa builds I've done are all MM planes.

abieex

Mentor
Quick update- I received my lucky ace with todays mail. Nicely packaged and arrived in great condition. Thank you Brian!