My HDZero SharkByte Journey! To the mountains?

Hey guys, I recently purchased an HDZero SharkByte system with the ultimate goal of building a Digital FPV Mid-Long Range Mountain Surfing quad.

I'll be making a series of videos documenting my thoughts, goals, tests, and hopefully some successes... I figured a dedicated thread would be cleaner and more useful than a bunch of random posts.

Below are the first two videos in this series:
- Video 1: My First Flight thoughts, some Antenna Modification Testing, and an Overview of Future Goals and Next Steps
- Video 2: Fresh New Antenna Setup, Range and Penetration Testing, Issue Troubleshooting, and Next Steps

If you're interested in SharkByte/HDZero, or already a user, share your thoughts and/or experiences. Do you use the system in a Plane, Drone, or somewhere else?

Also questions and feedback are happily received.

Cheers,
-Pete

Episode #2: Fresh New Antennas, Range and Penetration Testing, and Troubleshooting

Summary: Two Simple DIY Antennas Change Everything, incredible results, time for a new quad!

Episode #3: “Analog vs HDZero Camera Comparisons”

I wanted to do a true side-by-side comparison of the systems and cameras but don’t have the proper equipment… but I did managed to fly some pretty identical flight paths and I think it provides a good sense of each camera/system.

(Note: the browser window is low resolution, click the YouTube button in the window if you’re actually curious about the image quality comparisons)

Questions, comments, suggestions and thoughts always welcome. Cheers!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@GiantAntCowboy just watched all the videos in this series. I left a post on the last video with my thoughts so others beside people here can read and maybe get some knowledge on camera setup too.

I'm not a fan of long range stuff but where you are is all country side so no real issue with that. After all like you said its you that must do the walk of shame all that way to go find your gear. Personally I don't fly any further then I want to walk to go pick it up. Beautiful area for sure though. Wouldn't mind just going walk about up there on a regular basis.

The only other thing I can say is try the long range version of the Lumenier Axii antennas. Once I tried them I never had any issue with drop out no matter what direction I face. Tried the crazy expensive ones, tried the 2 for $12 dollar ones and the axii are the most durable and reliable I have found. I run the long rang on my goggles with just a dipole on the diversity channel and a stubby version on my quads. Obviously you will run the helicals on your goggles and the long range on your quad like you already do with that antenna you tried that last run.

@GiantAntCowboy just watched all the videos in this series. I left a post on the last video with my thoughts so others beside people here can read and maybe get some knowledge on camera setup too.

I'm not a fan of long range stuff but where you are is all country side so no real issue with that. ....

Responded on YT, but for the conversation here:
Thanks for watching and providing a well-thought-out response here. I’ll have to spend more time fiddling with the settings in the nano cam it sounds like. Eventually, I’ll be using it in my cinewhoop so it’ll be nice to tune it in.
The Micro cam doesn’t really have any settings unfortunately, I have the color set to medium and sharpness to “Enhanced”. I did refocus the lens (twice) which definitely helped further sharpen the image.

Regarding long-range, it's definitely less popular than racing and freestyle, but when you live in a mountain region like this you just have to fly and explore the landscape! I've tried many different antennas, and pretty much stopped at my current setup, the helical antennas just work so well for this type of flying, and they're also very easy and cheap to make... Recently I made a "quad-helical" setup which is a bit ridiculous, but a fun project and it's been interesting to range test. I'll post a video about it soon, but attached is a picture for reference...

Appreciate the feedback, cheers!

Attachments

• HDZero SMA conversion.jpg
    HDZero SMA conversion.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Responded on YT, but for the conversation here:
Thanks for watching and providing a well-thought-out response here. I’ll have to spend more time fiddling with the settings in the nano cam it sounds like. Eventually, I’ll be using it in my cinewhoop so it’ll be nice to tune it in.
The Micro cam doesn’t really have any settings unfortunately, I have the color set to medium and sharpness to “Enhanced”. I did refocus the lens (twice) which definitely helped further sharpen the image.

Regarding long-range, it's definitely less popular than racing and freestyle, but when you live in a mountain region like this you just have to fly and explore the landscape! I've tried many different antennas, and pretty much stopped at my current setup, the helical antennas just work so well for this type of flying, and they're also very easy and cheap to make... Recently I made a "quad-helical" setup which is a bit ridiculous, but a fun project and it's been interesting to range test. I'll post a video about it soon, but attached is a picture for reference...

Appreciate the feedback, cheers!

Too much stuff and weight hangin off yer face with that hahah. Make a shoulder mounted rig where two antennas rest on each shoulder to take the weight of your neck. Trust me neck issues really limit your life.

I would fly long range here as I live in a fairly open territory where most of the land is either dairy farms, corn to feed the dairy farms, or just plain beautifully forested hills. But with said neck issues I am no longer allowed to drive which means I have to walk everywhere I need to go. Since the area is mostly farmers no one has time nor interest in RC aircraft as a hobby.

I do however live over one of the largest salt mines in the country and would seriously love to go underground and fly like they do in that one mine where they have yearly races.

The series continues, this time I got that Quad Helical out for some 25, 200, & 500mW range testing! New personal records, excited to finish my Chimera7 and continue these tests, exciting parts are coming from China.

“HDZero SharkByte Long Range Testing with a Quad Helical Antenna! UFL to SMA Adapter Modification”

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The series continues, this time I got that Quad Helical out for some 25, 200, & 500mW range testing! New personal records, excited to finish my Chimera7 and continue these tests, exciting parts are coming from China.

“HDZero SharkByte Long Range Testing with a Quad Helical Antenna! UFL to SMA Adapter Modification”

Swap to two blade props with a slightly higher pitch. Will be much more power efficient. Get good props NOT bang good specials or Gemfans style. APC IMHO is best for 2 blade runs both speed and efficiency depending on your goals.

EDIT: also maybe tilt your helical antennas a degree or two off from each other. Having them all point the same way kind of defeats the purpose of diversity unless you set them wider apart on a hard mount.

Swap to two blade props with a slightly higher pitch. Will be much more power efficient. Get good props NOT bang good specials or Gemfans style. APC IMHO is best for 2 blade runs both speed and efficiency depending on your goals.

EDIT: also maybe tilt your helical antennas a degree or two off from each other. Having them all point the same way kind of defeats the purpose of diversity unless you set them wider apart on a hard mount.

Yea I have so many different props, HQ, APC, Gemfan, these Azure props, and various 2 and 3 blade styles… the real issue here is the small 2450kv motors, but I’ll have my new 7” Chimera going flying soon.

In the test I have all antennas pointed the same direction because my understanding of the HDZero system is that it combines all signals into one feed like Rapidfire, it’s not choosing the best antennas like standard diversity. So I figured aiming them all at a single point would result in the cleanest video image, but I’ll certainly test the setup angled slightly as you mention and maybe end mounted in a row.

Infinite things to tests and so limited time to do so…

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yea I have so many different props, HQ, APC, Gemfan, these Azure props, and various 2 and 3 blade styles… the real issue here is the small 2450kv motors, but I’ll have my new 7” Chimera going flying soon.

In the test I have all antennas pointed the same direction because my understanding of the HDZero system is that it combines all signals into one feed like Rapidfire, it’s not choosing the best antennas like standard diversity. So I figured aiming them all at a single point would result in the cleanest video image, but I’ll certainly test the setup angled slightly as you mention and maybe end mounted in a row.

Infinite things to tests and so limited time to do so…

Ahh that IS interesting they combine signals and not switch according to signal strength like diversity. Learned something new TYVM.

Ok, I finally have a proper HDZERO Mountain Surfing quad! 7" iFlight Chimera Frame, 2807 Motors, and a 1W HDZero VTX!

Here's the build video, which is mostly a reference for anyone building one, but I'll be posting some actual testing and flight videos soon, excited to share the results!

Excited to spend some time exploring the mountains, just need some decent weather here!

Here it is, the HDZero 1W Freestyle VTX!

In this episode we review the hardware, test range and penetration, and set flight into the mountains of Norway to capture some outstanding footage!

HDZero 1 Watt Freestyle VTX Review - Digital FPV System Range and Penetration Testing:

Let me know if you have any questions about the VTX or overall setup. Cheers!

Here’s a follow up to the Cheap Antennas, a Cheap DIY Battery comparison!

Li Ion Battery Comparison for Long Range FPV Quads, Wings, and Planes. Chimera 7 with HDZero VTX

Your results and needs could vary based on your setup and flight paths, but this is a good baseline for reference.
Cheers!

It’s been quite the journey, but my HDZero setup has been working quite well for mountain surfing, check out this highlight reel of DVR footage from the last year!

Share any thoughts and questions, cheers!