Nemeth Parasol circular wing plane

leaded50

Legendary member
"cant" keep of ;) buildning, when still sitting here.....
Next on my list : In 1934 became a successful STOL airplane , circular wing configuration. A weird looking plane that actually managed to make it through its test flight. It was originally intended for personal use and according to its designer Steven P. Nemeth, it was easy to fly Nemeth Parasol even with very little training. Even though it seemed like a successful design during the initial flight, Nemeth Parasol never actually become a commercial success and it eventually faded into obscurity. Just one prototype was buildt and testflyed. This did get some changes later, without any known differences.
The plane demonstrated strong flight characteristics in its test flight, including smooth take-off and landing capabilities. However, the design’s low aspect ratio wing may have meant a lot of additional drag.
During the testing, the aircraft reached a speed of 135 miles per hour and Steven P. Nemeth even managed to stall it in the air with its motor off. The aircraft’s wing acted as a parachute and it was able to land safely at a speed of 25 miles per hour.,descending “almost vertically” according to a 1934 report from Popular Science.
Reporters said that it “stall-proof” and “fool-proof”.

The inventor of Nemeth Parasol, Steven P. Nemeth was working as a flight instructor at the McCook field located near Dayton, Ohio as well as conducting experiments on rotating wings. As an aviation enthusiast he wanted to build an airplane that made air travel accessible to the average Joe and as a result he came up with the design of Nemeth Parasol. Students at Miami University built the first model according to Steven P. Nemeth’s design so that they were able to test the practicality of the aircraft. It was named Nemeth Parasol after its designer and the word “parasol”, which meant umbrella, due to the unusual appearance of the plane.

The main fuselage of the aircraft was from an 1929 Alliance Argo biplane who got extended.

Such plane as this, is right "up my alley" :LOL: totally unique!! It was quite a small plane, and as i see it, i will build it at 1:8 scale that gives me a model of 760mm long, 610mm wide.

Nemeth_112.jpg
plane was painted in black and gold.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
what many of the older airplane models get, is to get tailheavy, and cant get battery far enough forward, and perhaps needs extra weight in front to get correct CG. To easyer deal with this, and get a more "true" look, i 3D printed a radialmotor to hide the electric one, and get appropiate weight.
The top "dome" is from a ice cooler slush cup :sneaky: "you use whats needed to forfill your ideas" .....

I also buyed very cheap 5 pcs new 2826 motors , that a guy nearby didnt need anymore,

Here also shown pilot printed and painted.
DSC_1120.JPG

Attachments

• 5-cylinder_radial_dummy.gcode
    19.1 MB · Views: 0
  • pilot.gcode
    11.4 MB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
awaiting more foamboards, used some scraps from other "demolized" planes , and some touch up at engine detailing. Perhaps not quite correct as original, but so what, It starts nice looking anyway. Undercarriage is scale too... seems more like a mosquito on skinny long legs.. :LOL:

DSC_1123.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
rear of fuselage, with tailfin/stabilizer done. Just the top rear deck missing .
DSC_1126.JPG
Also got the wing-struts glued in. (made of 6mm wooden round sticks)

leaded50

Legendary member
That fake engine......Did you mold that out of plastic in a machine?
no, just a 3D print adjusted in size and painted from thingiverse. Pluss some wire insulation , to look as intake/exhaust, and ignition wires..
Typical vintage planes get tailheavy, and here i used the 3D printed motor as "counterweight".

Last edited: