never built a plane before can fly though, which speed build kit should I get?

FDS

Elite member
Tiny Trainer- Can be a 2ch glider, a 3ch gentle trainer, a 4ch intermediate trainer, a 4ch basic acrobatic flyer and even a Tiny SpiTTfire with a warbird style low wing.
All of the above is also modular, easy to repair and not complex to make. Also tons of community mods available.

Vimana89

Legendary member
What types of planes do you have experience flying, and what type are you looking for? Do you want a slow flyer, a trainer, an FPV platform, aerobatic, flying wing, delta...? I don't have much experience with FT kits, as I rushed ahead into trying to scratch build, but I'll be getting one or two soon here myself. I'll personally be getting the mighty mini DR1 Tri plane. I really can't help too much until I know what your flying experience is and what type of plane you are looking for, but I can suggest a couple kits that might be good. The tiny trainer is very popular as a great basic trainer and very modular if you want to experiment at all with your build. The explorer is another basic type that's very reliable and sturdy, and beginner friendly, as well as a good FPV platform.

If you can find the three pack with the FT Flyer, Delta, and Nutball swappables, this is a very economic way to start, and these planes are extra simple to build, and you can swap a single power pack between all three, but the drawback is that they are not trainer or beginner planes, I would say more close to intermediate skill level as far as flying. One kit I have been considering heavily is the sparrow, as this is supposedly a great plane to learn both building and flying, very modular, and a great FPV platform. The only down side as far as the speed build kit is concerned is that it uses a power pack H, which comes unsoldered. If you can solder proficiently, this will only be a minor inconvenience.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
The warbirds might appeal then, there’s plans for the big Corsair out and the others are available as kits. New A10 looks awesome too.

howellcmb

What types of planes do you have experience flying, and what type are you looking for? Do you want a slow flyer, a trainer, an FPV platform, aerobatic, flying wing, delta...? I don't have much experience with FT kits, as I rushed ahead into trying to scratch build, but I'll be getting one or two soon here myself. I'll personally be getting the mighty mini DR1 Tri plane. I really can't help too much until I know what your flying experience is and what type of plane you are looking for, but I can suggest a couple kits that might be good. The tiny trainer is very popular as a great basic trainer and very modular if you want to experiment at all with your build. The explorer is another basic type that's very reliable and sturdy, and beginner friendly, as well as a good FPV platform.

If you can find the three pack with the FT Flyer, Delta, and Nutball swappables, this is a very economic way to start, and these planes are extra simple to build, and you can swap a single power pack between all three, but the drawback is that they are not trainer or beginner planes, I would say more close to intermediate skill level as far as flying. One kit I have been considering heavily is the sparrow, as this is supposedly a great plane to learn both building and flying, very modular, and a great FPV platform. The only down side as far as the speed build kit is concerned is that it uses a power pack H, which comes unsoldered. If you can solder proficiently, this will only be a minor inconvenience.
i can fly a 4ch plane with confidence and am looking for a fairly slow flyer

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
If you are looking for a slower platform then I agree with @FDS said the Tiny trainer will work great.

You could also try the FT storch, the FT Sportster, the FT scout, and the FT simple cub.

Vimana89

Legendary member
A four channel Tiny Trainer would be a great option. Other planes you should check out are the Explorer, Sparrow, Bronco, and the warbird types others have recommended. It sounds like you would also get a kick out of the DR1 Triplane, as this is a slow flying plane but with very high maneuverability and sharp turns.

howellcmb

A four channel Tiny Trainer would be a great option. Other planes you should check out are the Explorer, Sparrow, Bronco, and the warbird types others have recommended. It sounds like you would also get a kick out of the DR1 Triplane, as this is a slow flying plane but with very high maneuverability and sharp turns.
Ok,thanks!

Vimana89

Legendary member
No problem. My opinions on this topic are less from direct experience and more from research and discussion with others, but I'm still glad to help. If I wasn't getting help with a custom trainer project, I'd be building some variation of either Tiny Trainer, Explorer, or Sparrow for a main trainer. I plan this coming month to buy and build the DR1 kit myself, so then I'll actually have hands on experience with a FT kit.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
If you're building for the first time, I would start with a relatively easy kit (Simple Cub, Tiny Trainer, Old Fogey, FT Flyer) all would fit the bill for both easy to build and a slow flyer.

I probably would start with the FT Flyer myself, because it's easy to just buy a sheet of foam and build it inexpensively and quickly.

basslord1124

Master member
For a basic intro to building, I'd say the FT Simple Cub, FT Long EZ, and FT Mini Scout. All are gonna have different flying characteristics but all of them do not have a lot of pieces to put together. Or if you want a really simple build, look at the Nutball...about as simple as you can get for building. Never built one, but I hear they are a ton of fun.