NEW BUILD: 5” RaceFlight Alien

Liam B

Hey everyone,

Ever since I lost my KISS FC and all the ESC’s, I have considered switching to RaceFlight.

So, I did. And I like it so far. The build is very easy and very clean.

Here’s my list of parts:

-Alien RR5
-x4 LittleBee Spring 35a DSHOT BlHeli_S ESC
-Skitzo FC powered by RaceFlight
-TBS Unify Pro (particularly happy about finally getting a quality VTX!)
-HS1177
-x2 Polulu 5v Step Down
-Aomway RHCP Clover Leaf
-Graupner GR-12L (Until I receive my Taranis)

Here’s some photos of the build so far:
IMG_1902.jpg
IMG_1903.jpg
IMG_1904.jpg
IMG_1905.jpg

I worked on my friends RaceFlight quad, so I’m not a newbie to it, but still no expert. I’ll post more tomorrow.

Liam B

Beautiful build. Very clean.

Good luck on the maiden!

Thank you! I’ve been taking my time with this one. It seems that that’s what you have to do. All the builds I rushed never turned out well.

I also really like the places where the ESCS get soldered to the board. It allows for short wires and a nice clean build.

I also thought the ESCS might be overkill at 35a, but for the price, I figured that I’d buy them anyway. They’re only $13 each on GetFPV!

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
You're build is coming along nicely. I'm interested to hear how you like the Alien

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Awesome looking build! One thing I have started doing is leaving just a tad more slack in all the wires too and from the ESCs. I had wires pull out of the motor on one of my Owl builds, and my Pico-X build. Thought I had enough until I needed to go back and do some checks/repairs. DOH! I also now use double sided foam tape between the ESCs and the frame and use less tightening pressure on the zip ties holding the ESCs on, or use electrical tape instead. Ended up popping a diode off an ESC from too much pressure. Fortunately happened when not in flight. (probably on a hard landing DOH!)

Cheers!
LitterBUg

Liam B

You're build is coming along nicely. I'm interested to hear how you like the Alien

I love the Alien. This isn't my first quad using the Alien frame. My old quad running KISS used the same frame, so I just ditched KISS and re-purposed the frame.

Liam B

Awesome looking build! One thing I have started doing is leaving just a tad more slack in all the wires too and from the ESCs. I had wires pull out of the motor on one of my Owl builds, and my Pico-X build. Thought I had enough until I needed to go back and do some checks/repairs. DOH! I also now use double sided foam tape between the ESCs and the frame and use less tightening pressure on the zip ties holding the ESCs on, or use electrical tape instead. Ended up popping a diode off an ESC from too much pressure. Fortunately happened when not in flight. (probably on a hard landing DOH!)

Cheers!
LitterBUg

I've had the same problem. Destroyed one of my 2205's when the bolts came out of the thread. It also pulled the pad off.

Now that I think of it, I should have left slack. Maybe I'll leave the wires longer on my next set of motors.

Liam B

Alright, more build pics:

IMG_1918.jpg
IMG_1919.jpg

Ignore the damage on the XT-60. I’m going to replace it so I can a). Access the USB port (lol) and b). fly without fear of shorting something.
The only reason why I haven’t is because I don’t have one because I’m on the road now.