ImpulseRC Alien build

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
When I heard Soma was making an FPV frame, I knew it would be something I would be interested in. I'm going to build one and keep track of my progress here.

5" build #1
Initial specs:

MK 17: ImpulseRC Alien 5"

motors: Cobra 2204/28 2300 KV
ESCs: KISS 30A
FC: MotoLab TornadoFC (Betaflight)
RX: FrSky X4R-SB
props: HQ 5x4x3

5V regulator: Pololu D24V5F5
battery: Lumenier 4S 1300 mAh 60C

camera: GoPro HERO3+ Black
FPV camera: HS1177
FPV TX: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz 600 mW RaceBand
FPV antenna: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz SpiroNET

motor to motor distance: 225 mm
all up weight: 636 g

Current specs:

MK 17: ImpulseRC Alien 5"

motors: Cobra 2204/28 2300 KV
FC: KISS FC

FPV TX: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz 200 mW RaceBand
FPV antenna: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz SpiroNET LHCP

all up weight: 625 g

5" build #2
Specs:

MK 20: ImpulseRC Alien 5"

motors: Lumenier RB2204-13 2500KV
ESCs: KISS 24A
FC: KISS FC
RX: FrSky XSR

12V regulator: Pololu U3V12F12

FPV camera: TBS ZEROZERO
FPV antenna: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz SpiroNET LHCP

all up weight: 589 g

6" build (decommissioned)
Initial specs:

MK 18: ImpulseRC Alien 6"

motors: Cobra 2204/32 1960 KV
props: HQ 6x4.5

battery: Lumenier 4S 1800 mAh 75C

FPV TX: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz 600 mW

motor to motor distance: 265 mm
all up weight: 738 g

Final specs:

MK 18: ImpulseRC Alien 6"

motors: Cobra 2204/32 1960 KV
props: HQ 6x4.5

motor to motor distance: 265 mm
all up weight: 665 g

Last edited:

mpbiv

Awesome! Cannot wait to see your build log. I'm hoping to see a shipping notification on mine very soon (order #92). I'm building a 6" and I am pretty much have all the components ready to go.

C0d3M0nk3y

I'm using the MotoLab TornadoFC.

It has pins to solder a Pololu D24V5F5 directly to it.

After soldering on the Pololu, I added some pins, a buzzer, and a cable for the receiver.

Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

Awesome! Cannot wait to see your build log.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to this build too.

I'm hoping to see a shipping notification on mine very soon (order #92).

Yeah, it should be soon. MrBreakmore just posted that they shipped up to order #85 yesterday.

I'm building a 6" and I am pretty much have all the components ready to go.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

C0d3M0nk3y

I'm using the X4R-SB rx.

I removed the unnecessary pins and replaced the cardboard case with some heat shrink.

C0d3M0nk3y

I'm going to run Cobra 2204 2300KV motors and KISS 30A ESCs. I'm going to try out the HQ 5x4x3 props.

jipp

looking good. thanks for sharing. i enjoy all build photos. i learn something from them all. which hopefully i can use in the future.

chris.

p.s

thanks for posting the pololu package.. i went to there webapge and ordered 2 of them so i have them on hand for my projects. its sad when shipping cost as much as one of them.. sigh. so i bought 2 of them for 13.89
money sucks.. at least you know you are getting a quality product with the pololu tho.

Last edited:

FPVology

excited to see this build progress as well. Has it been stated when soma might start shipping out preorders? When I decided to upgrade frames (finally) I hope this one will be on the shelves.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
Nothing against the impulse alien but i dont think the alien would be as known without FGA but good luck on your build im subed

jipp

Nothing against the impulse alien but i dont think the alien would be as known without FGA but good luck on your build im subed

i agree with you that it did not hurt FGA was using his frame.. but he would of been ok.. he already made a name for him self with a warp frame.. high quality.. no short cuts.. very good performer etc.. so he already had a customer base. and im sure the same people are the ones buying his frame...

after all he was one of the inventors of the hobby. :D or at least using bullnose props.

chris.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I had to decide between the Alien and the new Armattan F1's. What it came down to is price and Lifetime guarantee against breakage on ALL CF parts in the frame to any owner (even if purchased used from another flyer:applause:).

Armattan won. on both points. I got both the 4" and 6" racing frames for about the cost of 1 Alien frame.:cool:

I do own a 200mm Warp Quad which is a great craft but a bit flimsy in the arms and also a bit too flexible as a result for my taste in a CF Frame. Soma does have better arms for the WQ now, I believe.

I also look forward to your build. ;)

Thurmond

Last edited:

airhawk

Crashing Ace
i agree with you that it did not hurt FGA was using his frame.. but he would of been ok.. he already made a name for him self with a warp frame.. high quality.. no short cuts.. very good performer etc.. so he already had a customer base. and im sure the same people are the ones buying his frame...

after all he was one of the inventors of the hobby. :D or at least using bullnose props.

chris.

Definitely agree but fga did expand the fan basis the warp quad was one of the gems of multirotors that's not overly commercialized its been a while since a great quad has been made that isn't flown at first by a team pilot but the alien is something that may just find it self competing with Lumiere and blackout
Thanks
-Airhawk

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The Alien is designed to compete with Luminere and Blackout.

Soma and Blackout have history. Soma invented mini-racing quads LONG before we got bullnose props.

Soma is to mini-quad racing what Ozzy is to heavy metal. :)

The nationals showed us how tight a race course can be. This early in the game, there are lots of different, competing technologies. FGA would have won the competitions with a BatBone, IMO, because he was prepared. Someday, ALL the pilots at that level will be prepared to his level and the technology will mean FAR more.

When that happens and until there is a more compelling frame, I speculate that to win at that level you will have to fly an Alien with KISS ESCs.

I think the Alien will win out over Luminere and BO IF the level of participation in races continues to explode and the level of piloting continues to explode with the races.

Casual fliers may as well get a brick. We won't fly it well enough to take advantage of the superior frame.

Still, mine made the mail two days ago and I can't wait for it to get here.

Ozzy and Soma forever! :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
the alien is a great quad but i dont know if its as known as the qav250 or more known

Given that the qav250 has been around for close to 2 years and the alien is just starting to ship pre-orders I hardly find that surprising ;)