NEW chapter in my RC Journey, DRONES!

mayan

Legendary member
A week ago I did a two hour back and forth trip to Bear Sheva to purchase two bags full of RC related stuff. The stuff I purchased includes a bunch of different things that will allow me to:
1) upgrade my flying abilities and explore more model control capabilities
2) explore a new aspect of the hobby.

Here’s a sneak peak to what’s inside the bags :).

Got myself some awesome NEW Toys to play with on MY RC Journey! Don’t miss out!
https://youtube.com/shorts/GV0V-UQ9L4c?feature=share

mayan

Legendary member
I got my plate full of RC planes that I need to fix and fly and THIS. DRONES!

AE67765A-C57B-4C92-A56B-F51C22EB232F.jpeg

A project which is way beyond my current skill and knowledge levels. However my eagerness to explore and learn new things is pushing me to play around with this part of the hobby.

Unlike me experience with RC planes, this time around I have a friend who can walk me through everything there is to know.

We already went through some of the basics like understanding beta flight and bheli motor configuration but still have a whole lot more to cover. I also got to practice some line of sight flying making sure to keep the drone steady in a hover position as well as rotate around and object.

Will be posting a video about it over the next few days so stay tuned :)

mayan

Legendary member
I’ve got so much to do and so much that I want to do but this is what has been keeping me busy…
70FD9164-FE6A-4EB4-81D0-E0F73474073C.jpeg
DC7FA92E-00BE-4C1D-9858-2DD22B8EF6E1.jpeg
BCEDF9DB-95BC-4D16-9118-BBE5B073C9AB.jpeg
59F5D65C-2C96-4574-B4F6-9B49AE07108B.jpeg

Checking a few flight controllers. Some run on beta flight some would only go with clean flight anyone know what’s the difference? What do you recommend?
794F8BDC-B9CC-4F21-8678-9188CF436854.jpeg

Still have to check these VTXs and flight controllers…
5689D831-787B-42B6-94F0-F94985ABFDDC.jpeg

I also got these to check anyone know what they are? Some look like ESCs but some I just have no clue.
7F4FB05A-514F-45B5-853E-46F251A91787.jpeg

Buzzers that also need attention.
2B16DCD7-8C34-45CD-8EBF-466E190D7311.jpeg

The power distribution boards also need some checking.
CD514D33-C9BF-4F9A-AB9C-2B781B8CC331.jpeg

Bricks

Master member
Stay with Betaflight as there is not much support for clean flight, it works but lacks much of what Betaflight has to offer. Betaflight has quit any extra support for F4 flight controllers, so try and stay newer.

Don`t forget to connect antennas to VTX`s before ever putting power to them.

Before hooking up any flight controllers and PDB`s you are going to need wiring diagrams as miss matched the wiring pinout is different between manufactures and at times even within the same manufacture.

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for the great tips that both of you have provided :).

@Bricks what do you recommend doing if I can’t seem to be able to flash a beta firmware of the FC on to it? I converted every board I could to beta flight even though clean flight seems to have more options to play with :).

Bricks

Master member
Thanks for the great tips that both of you have provided :).

@Bricks what do you recommend doing if I can’t seem to be able to flash a beta firmware of the FC on to it? I converted every board I could to beta flight even though clean flight seems to have more options to play with :).

In that instance just do what yea gotta do. I had one quad with an old Naz 32 in it and Cleanflight was OK. After that quad chased down a tree and tree did not move could not get parts for the frame tore it apart and just shit canned the Naze 32. That quad was so old the distribution board was actually built into the bottom of the frame.

If you wanted to do FPV on a plane could use old boards to get some on screen displays depends of what sensors are on the board..

mayan

Legendary member
In that instance just do what yea gotta do. I had one quad with an old Naz 32 in it and Cleanflight was OK. After that quad chased down a tree and tree did not move could not get parts for the frame tore it apart and just shit canned the Naze 32. That quad was so old the distribution board was actually built into the bottom of the frame.

If you wanted to do FPV on a plane could use old boards to get some on screen displays depends of what sensors are on the board..
Great tips my dear friend.

MaxTheFliteFreak

That quad was so old the distribution board was actually built into the bottom of the frame.
Those were the days... Back in South Africa, my dad flew a Tarot 5'' quad that did the same thing and it had an ancient flight controller that use Librepilot. He baught it second hand, but it didn't come with landing gear, so he bolted a pair of rubber spherical orange holders onto the bottom, hence it's name "Flying B00b".
20230106_190321.jpg

Funny how everybody has their own little story about the "good ol' days".

,בהצלכה מא'ין בכיף

mayan

Legendary member
Those were the days... Back in South Africa, my dad flew a Tarot 5'' quad that did the same thing and it had an ancient flight controller that use Librepilot. He baught it second hand, but it didn't come with landing gear, so he bolted a pair of rubber spherical orange holders onto the bottom, hence it's name "Flying B00b". View attachment 233603
Funny how everybody has their own little story about the "good ol' days".

,בהצלכה מעיין בכיף
Love the silicone boobs :).

mastermalpass

Elite member
He baught it second hand, but it didn't come with landing gear, so he bolted a pair of rubber spherical orange holders onto the bottom, hence it's name "Flying B00b".

Oh, am I not supposed to just balance it on its battery? 'Cause my Diatone came without a landing gear and I never made it one! 😂

mastermalpass

Elite member
That is quite a haul! Here's hoping you can get them all set up. I'm not very confident with my quad. It's easy to lose orientation flying line of sight and I have lost visibility in FPV a couple times, so I never really push it. I need to take my racing gates to the park and practice with it, really.

Needs work at the moment though, last time I took it out it kept randomly rebooting in the air (which would of course just drop it). I need to take the props off, power it on and then poke it with a stick to find out which solder bit is loose. I'm assuming it's gonna be the solder connecting the Rx to the Flight Controller... Y'know, the solder joints I did! 😂

mayan

Legendary member
That is quite a haul! Here's hoping you can get them all set up. I'm not very confident with my quad. It's easy to lose orientation flying line of sight and I have lost visibility in FPV a couple times, so I never really push it. I need to take my racing gates to the park and practice with it, really.

Needs work at the moment though, last time I took it out it kept randomly rebooting in the air (which would of course just drop it). I need to take the props off, power it on and then poke it with a stick to find out which solder bit is loose. I'm assuming it's gonna be the solder connecting the Rx to the Flight Controller... Y'know, the solder joints I did! 😂
I hope so too :).

On Friday I took out my two drones and it was a hard learned lesson day. One drone aka Beast X flew well until a flip over on landing cut of the vtx antenna not letting me fly FPV anymore :(. And like @mastermalpass said with line of sight drones are just no fun and easy to lose orientation. The other drone aka HLGRC F411 just didn’t give any video into on the googles so it didn’t fly at all.

Disappointed I went home and tried to fix one of the drones to be able to go out again. And managed to find another antenna so I could re-fly the Beast X. I quickly packed up my stuff and hit the field again. Happy and pleased i was back flying I tried practicing my landings. Trying to come in for a landing I approached to fast and hit a metal fence.

I broke the camera protector and total a motor :(. Unfortunately you can’t purchase these motors anymore so I’ll have replace them all :(. Trying to look at the bright side maybe I can use the motors for an airplane.

179CDE9B-2348-4EB0-823E-766B6826051C.jpeg
5505AC1D-A478-4B2D-A467-FF859D510FDB.jpeg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
SPLAT Happens! Wrecked one of my tiny Whoops yesterday at an indoor fly (cracked frame). Planes tend to last longer, but Drones do things and go places wings can't!

Cheers!
LitterBug

mastermalpass

Elite member
Oh that's very unfortunate! When it comes to losing sight of my GT M530, I'm scared of losing it, not crashing it. Because my quad is the only RC model I have where when it crashes, the ground usually comes off worse! Must be the luck of only ever crashing it into trees, earth and foliage. Crashes usually only need new props for me, your motor must have got tangled in the fence and burned itself out. Just after being lucky enough for the Beast X's Vtx avoiding an overheat after its antenna loss.

Definitely keep the other motors aside for planes. Racing quad motors go great on minis and if you fit a pair of them to a parkjet, it can do all sorts of interesting moves!