New guy from Tunisia needs help

injedm

Hey guys. I've been hanging around here for a while and I got the FT fever. I decided to build the FT Explorer as my first build and I have a few questions. I'll be using the free downloadable plans and it would be awesome if someone helps me out with the type of foam to use and the sheets dimensions (especially thickness). I live in Tunisia and I can't find foam sheets anywhere so I'm gonna have to make my own sheets using a hot wire

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am fairly sure the foam you are going to use is much different then the foam core sheets FT uses to make their planes. If you are cutting it with a wire I will assume its a more dense and more solid larger sheet like they use for insulating houses. The foam core is a less dense and more flexible type foam covered in paper on both sides. More like a spongy material then a solid.

I am sure you can make these planes from that type of foam but it would be super brittle and prone to breaking far more easily.

I suggest and I know the cost will be more but find the correct foam on line as it is reasonably common now days nearly everywhere.
the foam is 3/16ths of an inch thick and the sheet size is 30 inches by 20 inches. I know the 3/16ths is 5mm but the sheet size in metric is more then I can think of at 2:30 in the morning

Just about any dollar store foam board. I've been getting mine from dollar tree and dollar general. This isn't the water resistant stuff through.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Jayrod,

Tunisia is a LOOOOOOOONG way away from Tulsa . . . about 5500 mi. I'm fairly certain he doesn't have a DT or DG in his neighborhood.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Jayrod,

That wasn't bashing -- I'm sorry you took it that way.

It's not uncommon (and I'm not innocent either) for folks to speed-read through the question and offer well intended advice that isn't helpful. I appreciate your intent -- I honestly do -- but we are an international community. When someone asks for advice from North Africa the store around the block won't help them much.

Just keep your wits about you . . . and try not to be so thin skinned -- honest, we're not out to get you ;)