New member!

FDS

Elite member
You could buy the Adams FT board for the price of those depron sheets. Get a speed build kit first, if you want to build off plans then order 3 sheets of board in the same order, saves packing. Or get some from Model Shop Leeds on your next visit. It’s £3 per sheet for the FT stuff at 510x760 and most of the smaller designs fit on 4 sheets. You also then need firewalls, control horns, linkage stoppers and linkage wire, all of which you get included in the speedbuild kit.
5-6mm Depron is similar in per sq ft weight to Adams foamboard, there’s no scaling issues but as we explained earlier, lack of paper covering means you have to do all the joins differently. If you use 3mm regular foamboard with the paper and the FT plans it comes out about the same as Adams BUT you have to alter all the channels for A and B folds to compensate for the thinner board.
Depron is waterproof. If you want depron specific designs there are lots of them on the web, the Europeans have been making them for ages. None of the FT designs were done with depron on mind due to the lower cost of lighter foamboard in the USA.

TLDR- Build a speedbuild kit first and get it flying, then either buy more speed build kits or work out building from plans.

Last edited:

Headbang

Master member
Back in the day there was no question. 3 channels, throttle, elevator, rudder. That was how you learned. These days every person who teaches/trains/helps new fliers has a different opinion. For planes that can have rudder, I say go 4 channel, and spend time using the rudder right off. It makes a big difference when it comes to successful landings. I personally use rudder more for turns then anything, gets that nice smooth turn, or helps snap it into place.

Like I said tho. Everyone has a different opinion on this.

jross

If you are only planning on building foam planes and kits, then you can do very well with the entry level FRSky stuff, the RX’s are not expensive and the handset has mixing, expo and rates etc which are all useful.

You can buy the FrSky Taranis 9XD+ with an X8R receiver for $216 USD. I was really lucky when I started and found a 9XD+ barely used for less than half that. The documentation and videos available to assist with configuring OpenTX are amazing.

It was way more radio than I "needed" but I can already see it was a good choice for me. I was flying indoors this week with the local flying club where everyone runs Spektrum. They all threw their hands up in the air except one guy. He came over and watched me configure my Vapour for the first time. He was intrigued. I have no idea what most of the features on my radio do but with his years of experience, he sure did. Asked if we could bind it to one of his planes this summer so he could play with it.

I added a module for the Horizon Hobby planes (DSM2/DSMX) because they're fun to fly and it's nice to take a plane out of a box and have it flying in a few minutes. I love my UMX Radian. So fun and you can toss it out almost anywhere. Vapour is fun too.

I'm really happy with my FrSky Taranis. I shopped and considered for quite a while. I love OpenTX, now that I'm becoming more familiar with it. I've only been using it for about 5 weeks but as I learn, I realize it's large capabilities as I do more reading and playing. But for now, as a newbie, I can configure everything I need easily. It's nice to know that as I grow, my radio can grow with me. As an IT guy, the ability to update firmware appeals to me for many reasons. Increased capabilities. Bug fixes. You name it. It's a good way to add life and improve any equipment.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I say go 4 channel, and spend time using the rudder right off.
I agree with @Headbang, for a noob, not that much difference between 3 & 4 channel. May as well start with 4 channel. Ailerons do have more authority than rudder. The solution just turn the ailerons down until the student get a feel for them. Then turn them up and have a little fun.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Hi everyone
Went to our local club today and was recommended to buy this as a starter.
Any thoughts?
https://store.flitetest.com/eflite-apprentice-s-15e-rtf-electric-airplane-1500mm-efl3100e/p524857

it is a great plane and has the easier tricycle landing gear. for a little cheaper you could do the Eflite Timber. it is a tail dragger but takes off so quick it's easy.

for that price though, you could build multiple FT models and know you can rebuild for a few $'s.

just saying.

me :cool:

smiling albert

it is a great plane and has the easier tricycle landing gear. for a little cheaper you could do the Eflite Timber. it is a tail dragger but takes off so quick it's easy.

for that price though, you could build multiple FT models and know you can rebuild for a few $'s.

just saying.

me :cool:
Hi
I agree,the cheapest UK price I can see for the apprentice is £260.!
When I was at the club my son had a go on their trainer and really took to it and wants t o join..
I,m happy to do this as for the yearly membership price (£42)they,ll let him use their trainer to learn on and he has to pass a test (an A test ) in safe flying and landing..I mentioned getting the FT tiny trainer as a starter but they said it should have wheels the bigger the better.
The impression I got was that they thought the FT models were a bit “twitchy”for beginners.I didn’t have a fly and as the membership for me was &98 I,m not bothered to join .
TBH I,m happier at this stage building FT,s and am happy to be taught by my son once he’s passed as there’s a field where I work which I can practice on .
i think the e- flite apprentice is a bit pricey tBH .
Not sure what to do.
All I wanted to do was build warbirds as cheaply as possible and FT seemed to be the way forward and then just have a bit of fun flyin and crashing (to use the FT motto.
Suddenly it’s got a bit more serious !

Headbang

Master member
Nothing wrong with an apprentice. Just depends if you are looking for a 1hr build that is ready to go. Or want to take the time to build something more scratch. Both ways it will be a fly, crash, fix, fly cycle. Ft designs give more repairability.

jross

All I wanted to do was build warbirds as cheaply as possible and FT seemed to be the way forward and then just have a bit of fun flyin and crashing (to use the FT motto.
Suddenly it’s got a bit more serious !
When you crash an FT plane hard, you can generally have it back in the air in one evening.

Don't spend a lot of money on a BNF plane until you've crashed the hell out of a Tiny Trainer. While flight stabilization is really cool, it adds a layer/filter between your control inputs and the plane. As a flyer with 1 months experience, I'm glad I'm learning on a plane without stabilization. When the plane does what I want, I know it was me and not my electronic helper. Same when it doesn't do what I want. Build the TT, set it up exactly as described and it will fly.

The UK is probably similar to Canada, in terms of final pricing with shipping, duties and taxes. I built my Tiny Trainer for the price of an A power pack, a sheet of foam, some glue and packing tape. Total cost, all in, was probably close to $150 CAD (90 pounds) including the receiver. The TT was my first FT build and is still alive and flying after one month and many, many crashes. At some point, I'll need to rebuild the fuselage and motor pod. Wing could use some attention too. If I want, I can take that power pack and put it in another plane, something that's tough to do with an E-Flite or Horizon Hobby plane.

You might get lucky like me and be flying warbirds in a month. I haven't flown warbirds but flew a fast wing for the first time last week. (And crashed the hell out of it!) If you want a bigger bird to learn on, build an Explorer. Another easy flying plane if you're willing to spend the extra money and build time.

Everything our local club flies are pre-built planes. At least they encourage people to start small. Vapours, UMX Radians and the like. While they haven't seen one of my planes yet, they poo pooed them and frowned as I talked about them. Nature of the beast. Bottom line is they teach a lot of kids to fly and that's pretty cool.

I would add as a newbie flyer that I crashed the hell out of a lot of virtual planes on a flight simulator before I ever put a real plane in the air. Really helped with flying patterns and learning to fly towards myself which is essential for good landings. I can see it in my flying today. Well worth the hundred bucks I spent on it and a big part of the reason I've been successful. That and starting with planes that are easy to fly.

Don't get frustrated or confused. Get started. Follow the plans and build videos. Go with a proven solution. You'll be crashing before you know it!

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
You don’t need a plane that expensive. I got a Sport Cub S which was £125 with everything, plus another £5 for more batteries. I wanted something small that was idiot proof as I knew I was unlikely to get any help learning and I haven’t run anything outdoor RC in 20 years.
My TT was better to fly than the Cub once I got past flying with full safe mode on but there’s no club near me and I don’t have a computer that will run a sim. Thus I had to get some stick time first, if I had known how to set up my TT a bit better and had a bit of sim time I think I could have flown it without buying the Cub first.
Honestly, the one they suggested would be a fine plane if you didn’t mind the cost, but totally unnecessary if you want to just get airborne and have some fun for as little as possible.
If you don’t mind making all your repairs yourself and learning from your own mistakes rather than having immediate help on hand then just finding a safe place you can fly and getting out there is just as good as a club.
I am a natural anti social person, who lives in the middle of nowhere, so this approach suited me. Clubs offer good facilities and help if you live in an area where flying space is at a premium.
If you turn up at a club with an FT plane and people are dismissive, then that’s not a place you go back to. Good clubs welcome all flyers and styles of equipment provided it’s safe.

smiling albert

Hi
Thanks for all the advice.
Think I'll stick with building the TT while junior learns on the clubs trainer.
Might invest in a simulator.
Does this affect which radio I buy and is there a favourite sim out there?

Headbang

Master member
As I am the wings director of our club, and coordinate most of the training. I can say I do not care what you show up with, as long as it meets the level of skill you are at. It does not even have to be built right, we can work on that.

This has not always been the case, there is a group of people in the club that tend to be elitist and probly care more about drinking then flying. And they were the ones taking on new people before I came along (not even 2 years ago I came back from a 20yr break, I was a noob!) So I get it. I chose to relearn on my own.

Good news is, for the small group of maybe 10 elite snobs, there are 90 other club members that are awesome. Electrisean being one of them!

jross

Might invest in a simulator.
Does this affect which radio I buy and is there a favourite sim out there?
Most, if not all, controllers will work with a flight sim. I use my Taranis with RealFlight8 and connect it with a USB cable. It took a bit to get my controller working with RF8 but after I figured that out, it works fine.

smiling albert

Hi thanks again to all.
Sorry for all the posts ,just trying to get up to speed before I start handing over cash ,particularly as junior is snappy at my heels to get started!
If RF8 works with Flysky FS6i ori6X will stick with that.
Maybe I've given the wrong impression about our visit to the club yesterday.
I think they were trying to be helpful and it was me that didn't make it clear I wanted to do it the DIY /FT /budget way which together with all the fantastic advice on the forum I've received has been brilliant

FDS

Elite member
Everyone has their favourite kit, clubs reflect that.
Research before buying usually saves money, asking questions is an essential part of everyone’s learning process. Forums where questions get people annoyed are forums to avoid.
FT stuff seems to have less impact here simply because it’s nealy as expensive as RTF if you buy a pre cut kit and the Graupner power pack sets.

daxian

Elite member
good choice ....bangood if you dont mind waiting a while ...10 channels on that one ,only drawback i found is the model limit ....only good for 20 models/planes...still, did me for over 12 months and still use it on occasion for the sim (when the weather is crap and cant get out to fly )

smiling albert

good choice ....bangood if you dont mind waiting a while ...10 channels on that one ,only drawback i found is the model limit ....only good for 20 models/planes...still, did me for over 12 months and still use it on occasion for the sim (when the weather is crap and cant get out to fly )
Thanks
Do all flysky use 1.5AA batteries?
How thirsty are these beasts?
Could you use rechargeable AA batteries ?