New to FT/MY Stuff

cyclone3350

Master member
Want to give everyone an update. Was hoping to start on the Citabria but that just delayed. I ordered a laser cutter, and that arrived two weeks earlier than I had expected. Because I like to do things at the last minute, I am now having to do some rearranging to get it in place. Not to mention finding professional movers to get it downstairs, as this thing weighs 300lbs. I had been on furlough, what I was referring to as covidcation, and that just ended. Now, I have to back into training next week and will be gone for basically a month. However, to get a quick build fix in before I leave, I saw that someone wanted to do an old FF model and make it out of DTFB. It was one I had done many years ago as a balsa tissue rubber FF. I couldn't resist the challenge for a quick redesign and scratch built. Will post some pics tonight.

cyclone3350

Master member
My personal challenge on this project was to go from a FF glider plans and have a foam board old school looking rubber model in four days. Today is day four and let's see how I end. As of last night, this is as far as I got. I did this using black DTFB 'cause that was what I had. I hate the paper on the old style foam board because it just doesn't hold up. My biggest challenge was how to get back the stiffness and make it look old school after removing the paper. I will explain on that later.

Attachments

• IMG_4475 (002).jpg
    IMG_4475 (002).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
With all of the distractions yesterday, I was ale to make a little bit of progress, Still have the wings to go. The big question for me, was what type of airfoil and whether or not to make it 4ch. For the airfoil, I am going steal Josh's design form his Pietenpol. Leaning towards 4ch. I don't think I am going to try and match that red for the spinner, so, I think it will be aluminum silver.

Attachments

• IMG_4497.jpg
    IMG_4497.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4498.jpg
    IMG_4498.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
Finally got it done. Tomorrow looks like maiden weather, so maybe I will find out if it will fly. This was made from DTFB and I stripped off all the paper and covered the entire model with CVS wrapping tissue paper. I did this over depron and over the DTFB paper treated with minwax , but haven't tried it applying directly to bare foam DTFB. Well, this was an adventure. If U read where I did a detail tissue applying instruction, U know how I normally do it with 3m 77 spray adhesive. This did not work out very well for the DTFB bare foam. I did get it to go on using Mod Podge hard coat. This was my first time using it, and was quite pleased as to how it strengthen and make that really soft foam ding resistant. If this turns out to be a good flyer and if anyone is interested, I could put the plans I made into a PDF and make it available here. I also took a fair amount of photos and can do a build log on this plane. This plane can very well be made with either DTFB or the FT FB. The AUW 10.5oz and will weigh about 1/4 once more if it is done the old fashion easy way by leaving the paper on
I say that, because this was not an easy task and probably wont tissue paper this type of foam again. The spinner was something I had. However, I have made them using the method I found here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...P-Mini-Cassutt-–-Free-Plans-Build-Guide-Video

IMG_4519.jpg
IMG_4524.jpg
IMG_4531.jpg IMG_4522.jpg IMG_4525.jpg IMG_4526.jpg IMG_4527.jpg . I

cyclone3350

Master member
Today was maiden day of the Keil Kraft Cub. It was cold and breezy, which was not how it was forecasted. 6-12 mph and a significant crosswind factor is not exactly ideal for a little 10oz'er. But why not. If God intend RC'ers to fly on perfect days, he wouldn't have gifted us with gyro stabilization. I am using the Admiral 6ch RX with gyro on. This was the third flight. On maiden, it flew as U see it, with 3 click of down trim to get it perfect.

slowjo

Master member
Finally got it done. Tomorrow looks like maiden weather, so maybe I will find out if it will fly. This was made from DTFB and I stripped off all the paper and covered the entire model with CVS wrapping tissue paper. I did this over depron and over the DTFB paper treated with minwax , but haven't tried it applying directly to bare foam DTFB. Well, this was an adventure. If U read where I did a detail tissue applying instruction, U know how I normally do it with 3m 77 spray adhesive. This did not work out very well for the DTFB bare foam. I did get it to go on using Mod Podge hard coat. This was my first time using it, and was quite pleased as to how it strengthen and make that really soft foam ding resistant. If this turns out to be a good flyer and if anyone is interested, I could put the plans I made into a PDF and make it available here. I also took a fair amount of photos and can do a build log on this plane. This plane can very well be made with either DTFB or the FT FB. The AUW 10.5oz and will weigh about 1/4 once more if it is done the old fashion easy way by leaving the paper on
I say that, because this was not an easy task and probably wont tissue paper this type of foam again. The spinner was something I had. However, I have made them using the method I found here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?852575-1-10-Semi-Scale-EPP-Mini-Cassutt--Free-Plans-Build-Guide-Video

View attachment 196291 View attachment 196294 View attachment 196292 View attachment 196293 View attachment 196295 View attachment 196296 View attachment 196297 . I
Nice Spinner !

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Today was maiden day of the Keil Kraft Cub. It was cold and breezy, which was not how it was forecasted. 6-12 mph and a significant crosswind factor is not exactly ideal for a little 10oz'er. But why not. If God intend RC'ers to fly on perfect days, he wouldn't have gifted us with gyro stabilization. I am using the Admiral 6ch RX with gyro on. This was the third flight. On maiden, it flew as U see it, with 3 click of down trim to get it perfect.

Wow! Very nice!