New to FT

trey

Hello everyone, I'm trey. I am new to the FT community. My son, who is 14, introduced me to the FT videos on YouTube. I flew for a few years, and then quit about 10 years ago due to moving to another area. Now that things in life have settled down, it seems like a good idea to start again.

The industry has changed a little in the past years. I ordered a radio that isn't Futaba, based on recommendations of the Facebook group. I went with a RadioMaster TX16S, and am looking forward to OpenTX.

For a plane, I went with a Tiny Trainer. I figure the wing options will give my son room to grow and learn. I wanted to get involved in the Bloody Baron build, but I thought I should get one going, then move on to another.

I'm looking forward to getting back into this hobby, and learning everything I have forgotten from you all!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hello everyone, I'm trey. I am new to the FT community. My son, who is 14, introduced me to the FT videos on YouTube. I flew for a few years, and then quit about 10 years ago due to moving to another area. Now that things in life have settled down, it seems like a good idea to start again.

The industry has changed a little in the past years. I ordered a radio that isn't Futaba, based on recommendations of the Facebook group. I went with a RadioMaster TX16S, and am looking forward to OpenTX.

For a plane, I went with a Tiny Trainer. I figure the wing options will give my son room to grow and learn. I wanted to get involved in the Bloody Baron build, but I thought I should get one going, then move on to another.

I'm looking forward to getting back into this hobby, and learning everything I have forgotten from you all!
hey welcome to the forum.
hope you enjoy getting back into flying:cool:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Welcome back to the hobby @trey and welcome to the Flite Test family. You are going to love it here.

Flite Test, foam board and hot glue is a great way to get back into the hobby. I spent years designing, building and flying foam board with my son. Now he is graduating from UND in December with a dual major in commercial aviation and unmanned aircraft systems. He is also working at UND as a flight Instructor.

cyclone3350

Master member
Welcome back to the hobby @trey and welcome to the Flite Test family. You are going to love it here.

Flite Test, foam board and hot glue is a great way to get back into the hobby. I spent years designing, building and flying foam board with my son. Now he is graduating from UND in December with a dual major in commercial aviation and unmanned aircraft systems. He is also working at UND as a flight Instructor.

UND. I know your a proud daddy.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
No negative reason. I needed to buy something, and it seemed like a good opportunity to try OpenTX. I've used Futaba since I was a kid, this was the first time I didn't.
Oh, makes sense, I currently use the nx8 for 90% of my stuff and a futaba 7c for the rest. I've tried the open tx radios but they were just not my thing. They're great for the Flite test style planes, I wouldn't use it in anything of great consequence like a gas or big/nice electric airplane. I'm just not quite sold on their reliability yet.

trey

Oh, makes sense, I currently use the nx8 for 90% of my stuff and a futaba 7c for the rest. I've tried the open tx radios but they were just not my thing. They're great for the Flite test style planes, I wouldn't use it in anything of great consequence like a gas or big/nice electric airplane. I'm just not quite sold on their reliability yet.

I get that. It'll be an experiment for me. There's a chance I'll go back to Futaba or try Spektrum. I don't have a field nearby that allows gas, so I"ll just be flying small electric. Or maybe a huge electric :)

trey

Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to this journey. The fist build begins Friday. I took extra time off work to make sure plenty of fun is had this weekend!

trey

Well, the Tiny Trainer is nearly finished. Is it ugly? Yes! Did I scre something up? Probably! Will it fly? Absolutely!

I managed to order a RX that might work with OpenTX, but is outside of my ability. Since I can't buy one locally, I ha e to wait for it to ship. That's all I'm waiting for, then I can set and install servos. Hopefully we will fly next weekend.
1E42D781-0CDD-4DC1-9DF9-4F1EA87E3CF1.jpeg

trey

Today was the maiden flight. It went OK. The airplane is surprisingly tough. I had to order more props though. I set dual rates and expo, but that wasn't enough. My son did most of the flying. It went into the ground a few times. I'm going to change some radio settings, and try again next weekend.

dr-squared

,,,,I'm just not quite sold on their reliability yet.
I understand the reticence, I had it too, and I have a G2 DX6 and DX9. I've had and flown a Turnigy 9XR since 2013 with an OrangeRX Dsm2/x module...the cheap stuff. Never an issue and excellent range (a ParkZone T28 flown out til it was a speck more than once). Several hundred flights on it.
OpenTX does not package any mixing, two aileron servo setup, gear or flaps...you do it. I was interested in the $50 radio plus $25 tx module. Once I wrapped my head around it's ecosystem, I've never looked back. NOT for everyone, though. Spektrum's package is easy and beautiful, but a bit costly.
Dan

trey

My son and I had time tonight to get out and do a little flying. This isn't the first time, but we had a lot of fun and good laughs. I bought him a cheap little foamy on Amazon last Christmas, so he flew that. I fly my Tiny Trainer. The wind was a little much, but we didn't care I need a lot more practice, it's been a long time. He's really starting to get the hang of it though. I'll move him up to something four channel soon.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My son and I had time tonight to get out and do a little flying. This isn't the first time, but we had a lot of fun and good laughs. I bought him a cheap little foamy on Amazon last Christmas, so he flew that. I fly my Tiny Trainer. The wind was a little much, but we didn't care I need a lot more practice, it's been a long time. He's really starting to get the hang of it though. I'll move him up to something four channel soon.

being new here you need to know this forum is powered by pictures and videos of flight related thingz. So show us what you got goin on and juice this puppy up.

skymaster

Elite member
you should of made a tiny trainer for your son too.

trey

being new here you need to know this forum is powered by pictures and videos of flight related thingz. So show us what you got goin on and juice this puppy up.

I get caught up in what I'm doing, and forget to take pictures usually.

But my son took a picture of the moon when we were leaving.
IMG-2714.jpg
And here's a wing section for Eclipson EBW-160.
IMG-2715.jpg

you should of made a tiny trainer for your son too.

I'm waiting to see if this is something he is actually interested in. Christmas might be a good time though.