New to hobby, need help identifying plane and fox engine

Thetrikerace

Hey guys. Fairly new to the hobby. I inherited a beautiful mated sr with an os four stroke from my grandpa. My goal is to learn to fly with a foamy or two and then Get the kadet back in the air. A customer of mine gave me an old plane the other day, he told me it was a kadet but I'm not sure about that. I can't find a kadet or any other SIG model that matches. It is 44" long with a 56" wing. It has a fox glow motor on it. Hopefully I can upload some photos here, any help
Identifying the plane and the model/size of the motor would be appreciated. IMG_6336.JPG IMG_6334.JPG IMG_6361.JPG IMG_6362.JPG IMG_6363.JPG

Thetrikerace

Could you post a closer shot of the tail emblem?

Kraft radio control, google tells me the were a transmitter manufacturer. All of the electronics were stripped out before I got the plane but I suspect it had a kraft receiver. My quick google search didn't turn up any actual planes by that brand name.

Attachments

• IMG_6368.PNG
    IMG_6368.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Thetrikerace

One more bit of information I can offer, the fuselage is all balsa, no plastic covering, and there are these labels printed right onto the inside of the wood parts. This was obviously a pre cut kit or at least had the parts printed on balsa sheets

Attachments

• IMG_6369.JPG
    IMG_6369.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Thetrikerace

I pulled the engine out and blew some dust off. 1/2 of the mystery solved, fox 40

Attachments

• IMG_6377.JPG
    IMG_6377.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 0

Konrad

Posting Elsewhere
That is an early (1979?) Fox 40 plain bearing (the muffler bolt spacing makes it an earlier production engine) with mid production run Mk X carb.

A 40 size engine is one that displaces 0.40 cubic inches. Or in rational units has a displacement of 6.5cc.

It produced about 1.1 HP at 15,000 rpm. Ran well with 11x5 to 9x8 props. On the Sig Kadet MK 1 (I think that is your model aircraft) a 10x5 to 10x6 might be the best prop.

Use fuels with 100% castor oil as the rod is likely not bushed on both ends. The engine was set up for mild nitro like 15%. But runs well on 5% nitro fuels.

Do replace the bolt in the muffler header with a pressure nipple.

I hope this helps,
Konrad

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'll go ahead and confirm the plane as a Sig Kadet Mk1, an early version. I scored one recently as well and couldn't identify it, but had numerous people tell me it's a Mk1. I then found a set of plans for it online and was able to verify it as well. It was part of a package deal where I got 4 planes, and at first I had no interest in it until I found it's heritage, and now it's a keeper!

Here are pics of mine showing the same detail as your pics. The windshield area on mine was done differently, and I'm not sure this one was ever flown. It'll be converted to electric.

Welcome to the Kadet family! (I've got a Kadet Seniorita kit that needs to be built and a Kadet Senior that I rescued from an estate sale that is currently being re-built)

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

Thetrikerace

wow awesome! look at that! yours looks to be in great shape. I'll look up some info on that to be sure. Is your cadet sr the blue and white one I saw in another post? This is my Sr I inherited from my grandpa, it was my gateway drug into the hobby.

Attachments

• IMG_6103.JPG
    IMG_6103.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yes, the blue/white one is mine, currently waiting for me to meet up with my dad so I can get the original plans so the fuselage and tail can be re-built. It was rough, but absolutely worth saving.

Thetrikerace

That is an early (1979?) Fox 40 plain bearing (the muffler bolt spacing makes it an earlier production engine) with mid production run Mk X carb.

A 40 size engine is one that displaces 0.40 cubic inches. Or in rational units has a displacement of 6.5cc.

It produced about 1.1 HP at 15,000 rpm. Ran well with 11x5 to 9x8 props. On the Sig Kadet MK 1 (I think that is your model aircraft) a 10x5 to 10x6 might be the best prop.

Use fuels with 100% castor oil as the rod is likely not bushed on both ends. The engine was set up for mild nitro like 15%. But runs well on 5% nitro fuels.

I hope this helps,
Konrad

great info thanks! I'll look into that

Thetrikerace

I hope this helps,
Konrad

I’m just getting around to re visiting this engine. I’ve been looking on eBay Ext for parts, any idea where I could get bearings/gaskets/whatever else I’d need to rebuild it?