New transmitter for a new flyer

Landshark

I have a HH Sport Cub and love it. So much so when it got stuck in a tree I bought a second one that is BNF but have been using the transmitter from my RNF from the first one which is still stuck in the tree!

Anyway I want to upgrade and had decided on a Spectrum 6 channel. I thought. Until I came across the Orange RX t six 246 Dsm2 6ch.

Its about half the price so was wondering what the catch is? Although I only have a HH Sport cub now I will be buying more and would some day like to build a scratch flyer.

So here is my question(s)

If I buy the Orange T six - will it easily bind with my Sport cub without changing anything or buying anything else?
Is it a good model TX for a beginner.
Is it good quality or just a cheap knock off?
If I want to use it with other planes not made by Horizon Hobby will it easily bond to them or do I have to change stuff around.

Keep in mind this TX stuff is fairly complicated for a new guy so go easy with me on the technical stuff.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
You can bind to the BNF planes with both TXs.

OrangeRX transmitter has only 10 model memory and DSM2 which if in a crowded airfield could interfere with each other. DSMX is the better Spektrum protocol.

There are a few 6 channel spektrum models available still. The Dx6i being the cheapest and the newer all black DX6 being more $ (but much better IMHO, I have two)

There is no support on Orange stuff, while Spektrum support is outstanding.

The New DX6 is very user friendly, has wireless buddy box, 250+ model memory, three position switches, voice alerts, customer support in the US, etc. The tx you have now can bind wirelessly to the black DX6 as a buddy box.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
The catch is that it is DSM2 not DSMX. DSM2 is obsolete and more prone to interference than DSMX. Basically not something to pay actual money for. It will work and may work well for you but it's sub-optimal. The T-SIX is otherwise quite good for features and is an ok budget radio.

Personally I would get a DSMX DX6i over the Orange T-SIX if you want Spektrum compatibility. You are more likely to actually get it. Reports are the T-SIX sometimes fails to bind with some BNF planes.

The T-SIX is $65 plus global shipping from HK.

You can get a DX6i for around $130 with free shipping from amazon. You will have better recourse given its Amazon and Spektrum should anything be wrong. Might want to check if amazon is an authorized dealer but they generally are for stuff they sell directly.

The Spektrum DX6 is much nicer for around $200. If you want Spektrum compatibility I would check it out and see what you are missing. Since you are already hooked that might be a better investment.

If you buy a used DX6i make sure its a DSMX one with the X on the front.

Certainly use Orange and Lemon true DSMX Rxs.

There are other choices but if you are not so bothered about Spektrum compatibility but I'm assuming you are so I'll leave it at that for now.

Last edited:

dgrigor02

While you may not need it now but if you want to do dual motor planes and differential, the number of mixes is limiting on the dx6i and the orange. DX6 has enough. Backlight if you ever want to do night flying is nice, dx6i doesn't have ( without hacking it ). Orange may or maynot.

I do like the interface on the dx6 much better than the dx6i. So for me it would be worthing saving a little longer to get it.

haygood

The Orange does have a backlight, and a larger display. Also, an earlier post mentioned it only has 10 model memory. That matches the DX6i. Basically, it is missing the DSMX, so if you fly around 40 other planes, you will have trouble. Otherwise, the stats say it is good.

Of course the ability to get returns or repairs is expected to be better with the Spektrums.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
The Orange does have a backlight, and a larger display. Also, an earlier post mentioned it only has 10 model memory. That matches the DX6i. Basically, it is missing the DSMX, so if you fly around 40 other planes, you will have trouble. Otherwise, the stats say it is good.

Of course the ability to get returns or repairs is expected to be better with the Spektrums.

IMO DSM2 is a deal breaker... Not only are you getting an older protocol that is known for it's limitations but most BNF planes that use spectrum protocol is DSMX.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
The newer DX6 (not the older DX6i) is very nice. IMHO it's perfect for all of your Horizon BNFs.
I also have a Futaba 8FG Super and while the DX6 isn't quite at that level, it will serve you very well.
It even has some nice features that the Futaba doesn't.
I believe it's wise to invest in tools that you will have and use for a while.
You always buy cheap tools at least twice.
Avoid the DX5 - you'll outgrow it almost immediately.
I paid around $170 for my DX6 - on sale with a coupon.
The Atomik Venom case works well with the DX6.

Best regards,
PCH

HilldaFlyer

If you don't know how long you will be in the hobby, go for the OrangeRx. DMS2 is great and although it is an older protocol, it is still viable and will work well for you. If you go with DSM2, the Spektrum will communicate with either DMS2 or DMSX. Once you decide that you are going to stick with the hobby, upgrade to a Taranis with a DIY DMSX module (HK sells the OrangeRx module for the external bay) so you can use all the planes with the DMS2 or DMSX receivers.

If you plan to be in the hobby for a long time, and if you are going to spend $200 on a transmitter, get the Taranis plus! I got the DX6i and outgrew it in 2 years. I now have a Taranis and the DX6i is the buddy box.

http://flitetest.com/articles/wireless-buddy-box

The Taranis has an external transmitter bay (JR form factor) so you can get a module (or make one yourself) that is DMS2/DMSX compatible. There are hundreds of more features on the Taranis that you won't be able to touch at the same price point with any other commercial transmitter. You have to have a bit of geek in you to set up a model, but once you have the principles down, setting up a model is a snap and the nice thing is you can connect it and set it up however you like. The user gets to define which channels to what.

http://flitetest.com/articles/spektrofy-your-taranis

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
The DX6i is a fine TX but I wish I had waited and paid for the DX6 (which I ended up getting also). Go DX6.