Newb introducrion

BorisTheSpider

Newb introduction

Hey guys, glad to be here. I live in beautiful Carroll County, Ohio with my amazing family. I fly quadcopters right now (not incredibly well) but I'm actually really excited about fixed wing aircraft. I'd love to eventually fly real aircraft but at the moment I'm not sure how likely that is.

Anyhow, I love to fly FPV for the awesome views of the area from above. There are so many great places around here for that! I really want to get my son (age 9) into flying with me, as well as my daughter (age 4) and my wife...eventually.

To that end, I'm looking at some of the FT kits and trying to make a plan. My son has a few friends who I know would love to participate as well. So I'm formulating a plan where we can get together a couple of times to build, fly, and tweak some FT designs. The problem is the cost. I can scrape together enough to get my son a whole setup of his own (including some spare parts I already have around), but I know that some of the other parents will have a hard time pulling that much together. Obviously, the biggest cost is the transmitter. I'd love some suggestions to help with that. Also, any suggestions for a first model for all of us. I'm thinking the FT Mighty Mini Sparrow but that's not set in stone. It just seems like a simple enough build, with some decent capabilities.

Anyhow, I know that Flite Fest is right next door, but I haven't been yet. Last year was the first year I knew about it but I wasn't into the hobby at all yet. This year, I had a friend over that weekend, who I hadn't seen for years. Unfortunately, I had to share him with some other friends so I spent my sparing free time with all of them instead. I mean, I'm glad I did. The timing just stunk. I also drive past the Flite Test shop at least twice every weekday -- sometimes 4 or 6 times. On top of that, we tend to attend some of the same events (like this weekend's Atwood Lake Fall Festival). It stings that I haven't met any of them yet, being around them so much.

Anyhow, I'm a big fan of what they do, and what this community does and has done for the advancement of the hobby and the community itself. Y'all are spectacular and I'm incredibly blessed to have the chance to be a part of it.

If you read this far, thanks! I'd tell you future posts will be shorter but I can't lie. I always write way too much.

Last edited:

mjmccarron

Hello and welcome!

This is a great forum for beginners and experienced pilots alike. Such a great community of great people! Enjoy your time here.

Mike