Newbie achievement room

sundown57

Legendary member
You can always throttle down. In 3d flight one is almost never at full throttle except to pull put of a maneuver or recover from a mistake. Having all that power allows you to blip the throttle and have instant response from the control surfaces, but if you do not need it at the time, half throttle is a wonderful thing.
I was so busy trying to keep it in the air I'm not really sure where I had the throttle. I do know it was really fast.

Headbang

Master member
I was so busy trying to keep it in the air I'm not really sure where I had the throttle. I do know it was really fast.
Looking closer at the vid. You looked tail heavy, which is good for 3d, bad for pattern or learning. I really did not see any excessive throws happening, and hard to say on the throttle end of things.

mayan

Legendary member
You can always throttle down. In 3d flight one is almost never at full throttle except to pull put of a maneuver or recover from a mistake. Having all that power allows you to blip the throttle and have instant response from the control surfaces, but if you do not need it at the time, half throttle is a wonderful thing.
+1. You don't have to go full throttle all the time but it sure will save you butt when you need it.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok boys and girls the lesson for today is ( Diehedrial is your friend )

Yeah, straight wing is a whole new ballgame. Especially when you're just getting used to four channel! All things considered, you actually did pretty darn good. That's a whole lot of difference than what you're used to flying, and it's all at once, too.

The damage looked pretty minor overall. A little bit of hot glue, a couple popsicle sticks to straighten out the nose, and she's good as new! :D

kilroy07

Legendary member
Ok boys and girls the lesson for today is ( Diehedrial is your friend )

Yea, thing I really like about the 3D planes is they go exactly where you tell them to.
The thing I hate about 3D planes is they go exactly where you tell them to.
:LOL:

Ouch, the last hit was a good one. Pro tip... Paint your plane to determine which is the top and which is the bottom, might help
+1 to that, even a quick colored packing tape strip on the wing does WONDERS for me.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
I plan from now on to start marking them. On the slow-flying one,s it was never really a problem. but it is now
BTW it doesn’t have to be a stripe it can be anything, star, words, etc. so long as it tells you the difference between left and right and top/bottom. I tend to mark the right wings with something and make a difference on the top and bottom like a different color over like I did with my wing I add two black stripes on top of the white wing to mark the bottom and on to mark the top.

sundown57

Legendary member
For all that have asked sorry for the delay but I finally got around to building alother biplane and making detailed pictures on how i have been stringing them. Each plane is a little different but the basics are the same. Once you get the hang of it, It only take about 1/2 hour to do one.
This plane is buzzbombs biplane. I scaled it up to 150% hoping the pictures would be more clear.

steps
1. I start by just running the tip of the glue gun along the edge of the foam on all 4 struts (4103) This put a nice radius in the foam for the skewer to sit it. Then glue the braces in place and run the skewers through(4104). then pull them aside and, run a bead of glue down the groove and glue the skewer to the braces. (Pic 106).

The needle I'm using is just a 7-inch piece of push rod with a loop soldered on one end. I used thin rod so it will bend as I need it. (4107)

2. Now I poke a hole both front and rear of each skewer, both top, and bottom. Total 32 holes. (4117)

3. Do not glue anything yet. Start out by running the thread through the fuselage front bottom right at the skewers (4109), pull enough string through to go completely around the plane. Then proceed to thread the string around the skewers at the top wing (4112) leaving the string loose for adjustment later. Then back down and through the rear fuselage again at the skewers (4116), then up to the other wing, around those skewers and back down and through to the front fuselage again letting both ends hang loose (4121).

4. Now at the REAR of the fuselage, place a spot of glue on the string at each side (4124). now the center of the string is anchored you can pull either the left or right string tight to get the center of the top wing in line with the rudder and centered. Dont worry about the leading edge of the wing yet. Just align the trailing edge to center and put a spot of glue on the outside edge of both skewers. (4125). Now just pull the string on the other side taught and glue it the same. Be careful not to pull so tight you move the rear of the wing off-center but still, it needs to be tight.

5. now that the 2 rear strings are done and all 4 spots at the top of the wing are glued now you can pull the strings tight at the front bottom fuselage and use them to take any twisting out of the top with and make the leading edge align with the trailing edge. (4122). Once you have that I just tuck about an inch along the wing on each side and glue it in place. (4142)

Now for the second string.

6. Again I start at the front top. I run the string straight through the first strut but then put a loop in the second strut. (4146) again allow enough string to go all the way around and do not glue anything yet.

7 run the string again around the skewers at the bottom of the wing (4144) and then back up to the rear top wing. BUT here you need to put a loop around both skewers loosely. (4148).Then again around the skewers on the other wing working your way back to the front.

8. back now at the front top put a loop around the first skewer and then straight through the second. (4149). now you can cut the string from the spool and just let both front pieces hand loose. (4150)

9. starting at the rear of the wing again glue only one of the two loops in place and let it dry completely. Once that loop is dry the pull the second loop and the string between the two loops tight and glue that loop to the skewer. (4153). This not only stops the string from cutting the foam when you pull it tight, it also pulls the seam of the wing together instead of apart.

10. now as before just pull the string tight working your way on both sides back to the front. gluing only at the outside braces, not the center two just yet.

11. Once back to the front top center , use the piece that hanging to pull the loop and string tight and glue the loop in place then once dry run the loose end again about an inch up the brace and glue it down just add a little extra support for the loop, and to tie up any loose ends. (4158)

12. repeat step 11 on the other side.

13. Sit back and admire a job well done. (4161)

Attachments

• IMG_4103.JPG
    IMG_4103.JPG
    810.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4104.JPG
    IMG_4104.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4106.JPG
    IMG_4106.JPG
    487.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4107.JPG
    IMG_4107.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4117.JPG
    IMG_4117.JPG
    843.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4109.JPG
    IMG_4109.JPG
  • IMG_4112.JPG
    IMG_4112.JPG
  • IMG_4116.JPG
    IMG_4116.JPG
    872 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4124.JPG
    IMG_4124.JPG
    620.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4125.JPG
    IMG_4125.JPG
    469.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4122.JPG
    IMG_4122.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4142.JPG
    IMG_4142.JPG
    690.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4146.JPG
    IMG_4146.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4144.JPG
    IMG_4144.JPG
    828.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4148.JPG
    IMG_4148.JPG
    940.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4149.JPG
    IMG_4149.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4150.JPG
    IMG_4150.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4153.JPG
    IMG_4153.JPG
    607.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4158.JPG
    IMG_4158.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4161.JPG
    IMG_4161.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
For all that have asked sorry for the delay but I finally got around to building alother biplane and making detailed pictures on how i have been stringing them. Each plane is a little different but the basics are the same. Once you get the hang of it, It only take about 1/2 hour to do one.
This plane is buzzbombs biplane. I scaled it up to 150% hoping the pictures would be more clear.

steps
1. I start by just running the tip of the glue gun along the edge of the foam on all 4 struts (4103) This put a nice radius in the foam for the skewer to sit it. Then glue the braces in place and run the skewers through(4104). then pull them aside and, run a bead of glue down the groove and glue the skewer to the braces. (Pic 106).

The needle I'm using is just a 7-inch piece of push rod with a loop soldered on one end. I used thin rod so it will bend as I need it. (4107)

2. Now I poke a hole both front and rear of each skewer, both top, and bottom. Total 32 holes. (4117)

3. Do not glue anything yet. Start out by running the thread through the fuselage front bottom right at the skewers (4109), pull enough string through to go completely around the plane. Then proceed to thread the string around the skewers at the top wing (4112) leaving the string loose for adjustment later. Then back down and through the rear fuselage again at the skewers (4116), then up to the other wing, around those skewers and back down and through to the front fuselage again letting both ends hang loose (4121).

4. Now at the REAR of the fuselage, place a spot of glue on the string at each side (4124). now the center of the string is anchored you can pull either the left or right string tight to get the center of the top wing in line with the rudder and centered. Dont worry about the leading edge of the wing yet. Just align the trailing edge to center and put a spot of glue on the outside edge of both skewers. (4125). Now just pull the string on the other side taught and glue it the same. Be careful not to pull so tight you move the rear of the wing off-center but still, it needs to be tight.

5. now that the 2 rear strings are done and all 4 spots at the top of the wing are glued now you can pull the strings tight at the front bottom fuselage and use them to take any twisting out of the top with and make the leading edge align with the trailing edge. (4122). Once you have that I just tuck about an inch along the wing on each side and glue it in place. (4142)

Now for the second string.

6. Again I start at the front top. I run the string straight through the first strut but then put a loop in the second strut. (4146) again allow enough string to go all the way around and do not glue anything yet.

7 run the string again around the skewers at the bottom of the wing (4144) and then back up to the rear top wing. BUT here you need to put a loop around both skewers loosely. (4148).Then again around the skewers on the other wing working your way back to the front.

8. back now at the front top put a loop around the first skewer and then straight through the second. (4149). now you can cut the string from the spool and just let both front pieces hand loose. (4150)

9. starting at the rear of the wing again glue only one of the two loops in place and let it dry completely. Once that loop is dry the pull the second loop and the string between the two loops tight and glue that loop to the skewer. (4153). This not only stops the string from cutting the foam when you pull it tight, it also pulls the seam of the wing together instead of apart.

10. now as before just pull the string tight working your way on both sides back to the front. gluing only at the outside braces, not the center two just yet.

11. Once back to the front top center , use the piece that hanging to pull the loop and string tight and glue the loop in place then once dry run the loose end again about an inch up the brace and glue it down just add a little extra support for the loop, and to tie up any loose ends. (4158)

12. repeat step 11 on the other side.

13. Sit back and admire a job well done. (4161)
That looks awesome man. I like how you use one string weaved through and tension to align wings to center and parallel edges.

What are you planning on doing with the plane? I'm sure @buzzbomb will be excited you are using his design, and even more at 150%. What motor pack are you using in it?

sundown57

Legendary member
I actually started it as just a mock-up so I could show everyone how I string them. But it's pretty well along now so I think I'm gonna go ahead and finish it an see how it flies. I have an emax 2212 1000 kv with a 10x45 prop I think would work well on this plane.

And yes buzzbomb. This is # 3 of me building, flying, making your ego grow, and giving your mini scout biplane design a plug for everyone to see. Still waiting for you to build the first one of my plane. hahaha

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I actually started it as just a mock-up so I could show everyone how I string them. But it's pretty well along now so I think I'm gonna go ahead and finish it an see how it flies. I have an emax 2212 1000 kv with a 10x45 prop I think would work well on this plane.

And yes buzzbomb. This is # 3 of me building, flying, making your ego grow, and giving your mini scout biplane design a plug for everyone to see. Still waiting for you to build the first one of my plane. hahaha
Which plane did you design?

sundown57

Legendary member
yeah its a pretty cool plane that way. It will fly super slow but its also quite fast and can even do stunts. it's not really like the old fogy at all. the wings are different and the fuselage is too. I did do a biplane based on the old fogy but it didn't fly very well.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
yeah its a pretty cool plane that way. It will fly super slow but its also quite fast and can even do stunts. it's not really like the old fogy at all. the wings are different and the fuselage is too. I did do a biplane based on the old fogy but it didn't fly very well.
What motor combo do you use in it?

sundown57

Legendary member
I built a few of them. I have used both the A pack and F pack motors from flighttest with both 850 and 3000 mah batteries. Best combination I have found so far is the F pack motor, 6-inch prop and a 3000 mah battery. It had tons of power, speed, still able to fly very slow and I got like 15 minutes continuous flight time.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I have a Newbie Achievement I have been working on the past couple of days with my Scout, is get better at flying inverted, which is now easily achieved. It took a bit to get used to the down is up and up is expensive thing but it feels natural now. It's fun to find new ways to exit inverted too, roll, dive, climb, or any combination of the three, as long as the ground isn't in the picture.

Another one I have been working on is the low passes, I have had to just get the balls to bring it in low in a calculated manner and I pushed myself today and did 3 consecutive passes at head height. And it worked out well. The biggest thing I was scared of was the level flight thing that I would react in the opposite direction of intention if the plane needed to be corrected, which has become muscle memory now. Super happy about the recent progression and I am looking at setting up some drone chase cam footage and some pics tomorrow. Thx for reading.