nitro to electric

I got an old plane called the 4 star 40 for $40 (no joke) its a ply, balsa and monocoat plane that has a 40" wingspan and is nitro powered. I got it because it was a steal (it came with a tool kit, electric starter and glow starter) but the only expirience ive had with nitro has been terrible. I would like to convert it to electric but i dont even know if this is possible or how much it might cost. I know i would need a substatial motor and battery pack and speed controler, but how much should i expect to spend? all the servos work perfectly and i got a new reciever and have flown it once, but that was with the help of many expirienced nitro flyers.

Team_Monkey

That probably had an old bushing .40 size engine in it so right away you're looking at under 750W for comparable performance. My easy-peasy conversion for .40-.46 size planes is inexpensive, tough and they work great.I have two of these setups.

Turnigy 3548-1100kv motor - $20
Plush 60A ESC - $32 on sale for $25 now. :) I like these because they include a BEC for your radio gear.
11x5.5 prop - I used to get clones of these but can't find them. $3 for these

I listed Hobbyking parts but you can get really good motors and esc's at HeadsUp RC too.

You can run a 3S battery to keep the cost down or run a 4S for more power. Just limit how long you use full throttle on 4S with an 11" prop. Whatever battery you pick make sure it can easily deliver at least 60A.

3000mAh, 20C 3S - $14
3000mAh, 20C 4S - $22

Good luck!