Noob dumb question

Bigtex1984

As it says im new to flying, I've run cars and trucks, electric, nitro, even custom built some of my own. My question is can I run my plane on a car lipo? I know it's heavier than the equivalent airplane lipo, but if I can keep the the cg correct for the plane theoretically it should be fine, correct?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Cool thanks for the reply, I'm figuring the thrust should be ok. It's a seaduck on 4s, but its a 5000mah hardpack.

Should be fine but make sure the C rating of that battery (which it should be) is high enough just to know you are on the safe side. Specially carrying extra weight as the motors and esc's will have to work harder.

Kugzenburg

It will work, just be aware of the cable that you're using, because if you're using a thin wire it may get really hot and catch a fire, rc planes usually pull a lot more current from the battery.

boogieloo

Why are you making one? RC car/airplane challenge on a video. Ramy's. It was made up of foam board. But carried the airplane in the air. They used two separate controls. One for the car, and one for the airplane. Two receivers, and one transmitter. But a separate RC for the car to run on grass. Then the airplane took off.

The neat thing about this was the lift of the airplane had to hold. More physics than anything. So he used the laws of physics to solve his problem. How much battery to use. I thought that was interesting. I liked the video. On the video though, the airplane rudders were connected to the car receivers. So the rudders didn't work well in the air. Drag coefficient and lift.

boogieloo

Can they actually hook up a car with an airplane like they did, but only on one hand box? I saw the car/airplane challenge on the internet. I was just curious about that part. The box is made for either or and not And. Well I care about this forum because I'm making a model airplane myself at present. Just to let you know. You know! And I think I can complete the setup part if I go ahead on the flight with new batteries, and it works, then I finish off the airplane and add ailerons on the 2nd flight. That would be nice. Very nice!

And I've also added copper wires to secure the two stabilizers more securely on the top end of it. So hopefully I can get that maiden flight going. Turning the airplane, no problem. Fixed landing and back rudders on thrust turns the airplane.

Attachments

• WIN_20211017_21_31_26_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211017_21_31_26_Pro.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bisco

Elite member
Can they actually hook up a car with an airplane like they did, but only on one hand box? I saw the car/airplane challenge on the internet. I was just curious about that part. The box is made for either or and not And. Well I care about this forum because I'm making a model airplane myself at present. Just to let you know. You know! And I think I can complete the setup part if I go ahead on the flight with new batteries, and it works, then I finish off the airplane and add ailerons on the 2nd flight. That would be nice. Very nice!

And I've also added copper wires to secure the two stabilizers more securely on the top end of it. So hopefully I can get that maiden flight going. Turning the airplane, no problem. Fixed landing and back rudders on thrust turns the airplane.
no, that was the magic of cgi

Byrdman

As it says im new to flying, I've run cars and trucks, electric, nitro, even custom built some of my own. My question is can I run my plane on a car lipo? I know it's heavier than the equivalent airplane lipo, but if I can keep the the cg correct for the plane theoretically it should be fine, correct?

Only thing to keep in mind that heavier sometimes means longer takeoffs and faster landings. Other than that, you should be fine. From the research I have done, since I want to build the Sea Duck next, it will handle the extra weight with no problems.

Check this one out if you have not yet: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/unofficial-ft-sea-duck.25890/