nnA-10 - design, build, and review log

Blackbeltrrf

I finally got back to the A10 build. I got both motors on now, hatch cut out and a Little panel line experimentation started. Going to have to be a little creative on battery placement due to the real estate the front landing gear is taking up. I don't know why the pictures are not rotated correctly because they look fine before I upload them.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2376.JPG
    IMG_2376.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Cozmacozmy

Just downloaded and printed the plans for this. Wanted to say thank you to nerdnic for designing this plane for all of us to have for free. This A-10 looks awesome! I am new to Flite Test and new to RC.. well, the flying part that is. Been building a Top Flight P-51 for about 10 years on and off. So it may take me awhile to build this A-10 :p

I like the idea of these foam planes so as not to worry about all that hard work building these and then turning to dust as it spirals into the ground.

Thanks again nerdnic!

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
The winds were very high today but what the hell. I brought out the 800mm 280g A10 pusher for some fun. 20+mph winds

Jugsy

Came here to request a Kit, looks like a few people already had the same idea :)

Can't wait to try more of your builds nerdnic, still searching for decent affordable foamboard down under!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Are you able to get the heavier elmers board locally? This stuff still works it's just a little heavier.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Started work on a v2 and the build kit! I'm tweaking the wing design to include a new airfoil and flaps. It will be overall easier to build. I'm thinking of adding a hatch instead of the removable nose and the scratch built canopy is getting an upgrade to match my current design style. The nacelles and landing bays are getting a scale upgrade and should look even more like the real thing!

The 5 blade fans I had before didn't sound like I wanted so I'm switching to a 12 blade setup.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I love the idea of a hatch instead of the removable nose. This is such an awesome design already. Can't wait to see what V2 looks like! Where are you getting the 12 blade setup?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm working on the new airfoil and have two directions available.

1) Higher lift (very similar to nnChip v2 airfoil) This airfoil is proven and has a large speed envelope.
I8UnTn1.jpg

2) High(er) speed lower lift. This airfoil has a more gradual camber rise and the peak is further back from the LE. This allows more laminar flow and less drag.
LnGhMzv.jpg

What do you guys think? Which should I go with?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
For the A-10, given its performance envelope IRL, I think the first one is more appropriate. Not as fast at the top end, but still has a wide speed range ; that's the Warthog.

Now if I were really picking and building myself; I'd take the LE radius and overall T/C of #1 and move its max thickness point back to where it is on #2. Or you could say it the other way 'round; increase the LE radius on #2 but keep the gradual taper at the rear.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I like your suggestion. To do this all I have to adjust is the amount of bevel on the LE of #2. I'll play with this and see what I can work up. I use very specific bevel lines to make the airfoil repeatable for others.

It only takes minor changes to drastically alter the airfoil. There are actually only minor variances between #1 and #2, kinda cool huh?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That is cool. :)

I think you could accomplish the same end state if you started by building #1, and move one of the spars further to the rear, thus reducing the upper-surface TE dropoff.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yes you are correct. This is essentially what I am going to do. The plans are updated now I just have to rebuild the sample to see how it turns out.