nnChipmunk Swappable - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Tacon 10 on 4s with a 10x10. It performed so well at high and low speeds. Perfect crisp lines and precise control at all times. Even with no flaps I think this is the best slow flying design I've come up with yet. I was able to fly and maintain control with ONE tick on the throttle!

This was all on the speedwing too :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Ohhhh she's fast!

bhh0DhO.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Ah I see. It's got a very slight sweep but I think the new airfoil is what's helping. I'm using a newly developed airfoil on this speedwing and I really like it.

planebreaker2000

Update.
I had an snafu with the plans (my fault) and the elevator wound up at too high of up incidence and it was hard to control. Having fixed that it flys really well. I am happy with the slow speed performance and the rolls and loops are very nice too. I don't think that the flaps were necessary, but oh well. I will try to get some video, but it is going to be windy here for the next week or so. It would be a great time to do some super chipmunk building. Hint hint hint

ericemn@hotmail.com

Any updates on V2? I've been thinking either the Chip, or the Swappable C180 (been thinking that I may want to do a float plane this spring). I suppose one could add floats to the Chip, now wouldn't that be something... :confused:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
V2 is hung on a few minor details that need to be tweaked. I'm in the middle of a move so I don't have access to make the changes yet. I'm hoping to have the plans done in the next few weeks.

Floats would be really cool actually! It did well with gear so the right sized floats would sweet.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Nic, you going to be at FTFF 2016? I'd love to do some Super Chip aerobatics with you. I'll actually be able to fly this year instead of building 101% airplanes.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm trying to make it to FF16 but it doesn't look possible right now. Even if I don't go, I hope you will rock the chip!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The first revision of the v2 hatch was setup so the cockpit would only be half attached to the hatch. Similar to how the nnA-10 canopy was half attached to the nose. This worked fine but at high speeds the canopy would pop, even when held down with magnets. So I decided make some changes to the hatch. The cockpit now fully attaches to the hatch. To do this I had to extend the length of the hatch top plate and adjust the poster board.

Since the actual hatch cutout is the same size, there aren't any strength penalties by extending the size of the hatch top plate.

qwO2X7n.jpg

1BXUHp0.jpg