nnChipmunk v2

shiitake

An small update on my project of the nnChipmunk.

It flew :). Made some under powered flights with the Turnigy G10 engine.

Here my servo setup with pull wires for the rudder.
IMG_20160628_184156 (1280x960).jpg

Screenshots of the boring under powered first flight movie.
flying1.jpg
flying2.jpg

Now working to get some more umpf in there! :p
2016-07-01 13.03.57 (1280x960).jpg
Needed a bigger landing gear for the 18X8 prop

shiitake

Yeah, two servos. gives me some feeling of safety. Are very cheap servo's.

Handling don't know really. With this engine I could not take risks so flew some rounds. It floated a lot though, probably because the setup I flew it with was about 4 kg. That is really light for this size i think.

Finished with the 30 CC I hope to keep it under 5 kg.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Well i finally got started on my V2 super chipmunk. I desided to have alittle fun with this one and make it a little test project for later on when i build my 150% chip
So i first i desided to add landing gear to the build. Almost gave up on it cause i wasnt sure on how to make a steerable tail wheel(without running another push rod or sept servo). But i was able to pull if off running it threw the fuse and attaching it to the rudder.
Then i moved the aileron servos to center wing inside the fuse. This was more of a test on the speed wing for the belly landers. Plus i like it this way cause it gives the wing a clean look.
And for my latest idea. Removable night flying led mounts. So i can add them to any fully painted build. Got the idea from the larger scale gas planes that have led wing mounts to light up the whole aircraft
Progress pics so far
20160701_235225_HDR.jpg
20160701_235103_HDR.jpg
Have more pics. But i keep getting failure to upload on them

Last edited:

shiitake

Nice jayz! Flying in the dark is fun!

I never made a tail wheel in my foamboard planes , just a stick and that works. Not as good as a tail wheel though. Have an Exra with a tail wheel and it makes live easier, true :rolleyes:.

Making a bigger plane is not difficult, just some common sense but think about the thickness of your wings.. I made a mistake by just doubling the size of the spar which gave me a 3cm thick wing (instead of a 4 cm)

The only thing that sucks with bigger planes is that you have to go ballistic on the power setup. If you go for 150% your airplane becomes about 3.4 times as big I think.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Good news! My planes are coming soon and I can start building. It'll either have a 35-48 900kv with a big prop, or a 35-36 1800 with a smaller high pitch prop. I'll also do the speed wing because I don't want the wings to fold ;)

Have you decided on a team aerobatics paint scheme Nic?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Good news! My planes are coming soon and I can start building. It'll either have a 35-48 900kv with a big prop, or a 35-36 1800 with a smaller high pitch prop. I'll also do the speed wing because I don't want the wings to fold ;)

Have you decided on a team aerobatics paint scheme Nic?

Good choice! I hadn't thought about color yet.. Ideas?

shiitake

What do you mean?

No big deal, I see you ending up in a position (at 2:45 at the clip, upside down flying away) where I probably would have crashed my plane. The movie cuts right there so I wondered what happened..

I flew my gas engine today on the nnChipmunk! Have movie but have to upload it. Will do tomorrow.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Ah, I didn't crash but I went back and watched the raw footage. I caught a weird gust and it pushed me around but there wasn't a close call :)

shiitake

As promised.

Here my swappable power pod :).
2016-07-02 21.46.05 (1024x768).jpg

Ready to fly! I painted the wing because of the fuels. I found out that gasoline is much less aggressive as nitro fuel is. It is not affecting the paint at all! Also gas engines throw out, or use much less oil than the nitro ones. This two stroke engine shakes much more as my nitro four stroke does though.
IMG_20160706_185746 (1024x768).jpg

Some shakey footage (but google is working on that!)
Only flying half throttle because the engine is brand new.
The tail stick works well with this big rudder. Steering is easy on the ground.

Now have to do something on the looks.

Last edited:

ttom

Photos of chipmonk V2 - built.

Have not got to fly her yet as it is high winds in Cornwall Uk and has been all week.

This is the finished product - still need to tidy up a little but 99.9%.
S1110001.JPG S1110005.JPG

This is my compartment reinforcement - the skewers are run full length. I was rough when building and warped original so built reinforced replacement.
S1110008.JPG

Because of the heavy English foamboard (I call it English Oak it is so heavy) my batteries always end up right at the nose and I often move servos away from tail just to get CoG right. This solution I like - ESC below pod and 2200mah inside pod.
S1110009.JPG S1110010.JPG

I am loving this plane even though not flown yet, she is real easy on the eyes! I added exhausts cause got fiddling with scrap foam - kinda like them.

I must stop looking out the window at the trees, the wind is dropping but still too strong, just too gusty for a maiden.

Thank you Nerdnic - I really enjoyed building this one.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
She came out really nice! Great work! The heavy foam won't cause an issue as long as you have a little more power. Your pod setup is the intended arrangement, so I'm glad it worked out!

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Final got some work in on the chip tonight. Still have alot of small things to get done on it but hears a view of my progress so far
20160716_031602.jpg