nnP-38 - design, build, and review log

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
hey Nic are you going to make your own canopy or is it going to be story bought like the a-10

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
hey Nic are you going to make your own canopy or is it going to be story bought like the a-10
I am planning to make it from scratch. If it doesn't turn out very good then I'll look for alternatives.

Funny I just download some P-38 plans as well. My wing span will be 48". Looks good.
Nice, can't have too many!

I am probably going to make a mini size one
This would be really cool. It would scale down to mimi size very well I think.

menachg

about the power-plants. how do you think it would handle with two 1300kv blue winders with 9x4.7 sf props?would it decrease the maneuverability or available power for climbing?or maybe the added kv would make it go a bit faster.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
What's the thrust on those? I think you'll be okay for power since I've flown 54inch DTFB planes on about 200w of power. There only thing I'm not sure of is balancing with lighter motors. I'll be able to answer that once it's built though.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm almost done with the wing design and I wanted to get your guys' input on flaps. The P38 has flare style flaps so only the bottom of the wing deflects. The top of the wing is unaltered while the flaps are extended. Question is, should I try to replicate this? Or are the traditional style flaps good?

Thoughts?

Bacon8tor

Can you show me an example of the split flaps you've referenced?

from what I can see these are the only "split flaps" I can find also called "Fowler Flaps"

Fowler flap: split flap that slides backward flat, before hinging downward, thereby increasing first chord, then camber.[10] The flap may form part of the upper surface of the wing, like a plain flap, or it may not, like a split flap, but it must slide rearward before lowering. It may provide some slot effect, but this is not a defining feature of the type.[11] Invented by Harlan D. Fowler in 1924, and tested by Fred Weick at NACA in 1932. They were first used on the Martin 146 prototype in 1935, and in production on the 1937 Lockheed Electra,[12] and is still in widespread use on modern aircraft, often with multiple slots.

wiki link