nnP-39

Smok1n

Nic,

I'm about 3/4 finished with my nnP-39 build. Love this design!

Question: Is there a way to make a separate file that contains just the
canopy and canopy frame templates on individual 8 1/2 X 11 sheets? The canopy would also need the identifying text moved to outside the template for a clean print. I want to print them directly to standard-sized transparency film, but can't figure out
how with the tiled plans. The tiling cuts across both parts.

Smok1n

Thanks for the tip! Canopy frame printed, cut and painted using transparency film, then glued to a 2nd sheet and cut out for the glass. Turned out fairly good. image.jpg
And the plane didn't turn out too bad either! On to paint...
IMG_0591.JPG

Last edited:

Smok1n

No drifttoy. Your CG is just a hair behind the first airfoil crease line. See where the cg marker is just above the servo cutout..
View attachment 50082

Good thing I've been re-reading all these posts. I haven't maidened mine yet and I was assuming the CG should be on the aluminum spar! Yikes, that would have turned out not-good! :eek: This explains why my battery ended up stuffed in behind the aft edge of the access hatch. Luckily I kept the whole bay nice and clear so the battery can go wherever it needs to.

Smok1n

I've got a coat of spar varnish on the plane now and she goes in for paint this weekend, yippee! Now if this Arctic weather lifts I might get a maiden flight video done soon. :applause:

Smok1n

Paint finished, ready for clear coat! It's not an exact copy of the Cobra I, but that plane was all red and would have been impossible to see, so I took a little artistic license on the color scheme. I also got tired of cutting out numbers, so the N numbers didn't make it to the finished product. Maybe later! All Up Weight with a 3,000 mAh 3-cell is 973 grams.
nnP-39 - Cobra I.jpg

Last edited:

Smok1n

Thanks for the compliments!. If she flies as good as she looks...

This one is set up with an E-Flite BL10 1,250 kv motor and 10x7 prop, so it probably won't be that fast. The BL10 is only rated for 3-cells and roughly 40A burst. I'll try it on 4-cell, but I have my doubts it will hold up.

I keep watching for the Tacon Bigfoot 10 motor to become available!

PS: My better half gave me a radar gun for Christmas!

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
It came in stock for like a week not too long ago! I think it's gone forever now, it's been discontinued.

Smok1n

Nic,

Yeah I saw that they were back in stock briefly, I was too slow! I'll just go with the Turnigy combo, they're pretty much my "go-to" power train anyway. I will have to attach an auxiliary firewall to the power pod when I change from the E-Flite BL10. I built the plane with the power pod positioned 8 mm farther back than designed to get that long motor/prop adapter combination to fit. Otherwise I would have had a huge gap between the spinner and the front of the fuselage.

I still haven't had the right weather to lay down the clear coat and won't maiden it till I do. The acrylic paints I used are pretty fragile and just a few belly landings on our weed-infested lumpy-assed joke of a "grass runway" will bork-up the paint if I don't protect it!

Rick

Goose

IMG_3746.JPG IMG_3747.JPG

Here is my build, loving it. Easier than I thought. The wing looked tough but after starting it, it was easy!! Got a bit of a gap on the underside of the trailing edge of the wing. Not sure what happened there?? Waiting for the motor and speed control.

Last edited: