nnP-39

Goose

IMG_3754.JPG

Look what just turned up, the hardware. Getting closer.

Goose

Very sharp looking. What kind of paint is she painted with and what clear coat will you be applying?

Just quick dry enamel out of a can. Same stuff I paint most my planes with. Won't do any clear.
IMG_3802.JPG

Starting to look more like a plane now. If you notice it's 110% scale, which was a accident. Had office works print the plans. I now know to get them to print, "to actual size", not "to fit paper"!!!

Had a chat to Nic and he says it should be fine.

I think I'm gonna build one of these next. It might be a little while until I find the time / space to do so. I have some metal retracts off a durafly vampire that I'd like to try out. I think I'll get a turnigy sk3 3542 1050kv motor to power it. Should be good for over 100mph :D

jamboree1

I think I'm gonna build one of these next. It might be a little while until I find the time / space to do so. I have some metal retracts off a durafly vampire that I'd like to try out. I think I'll get a turnigy sk3 3542 1050kv motor to power it. Should be good for over 100mph :D

I don't think the wing has enough space for retracts, Nic might have a better thought on this, I used fixed gear on my build

I don't think the wing has enough space for retracts, Nic might have a better thought on this, I used fixed gear on my build

Yeah you might be right. The retract unit is 20mm deep. And thato before I ad any wood or anything to strengthen it.

I'm going to hold off for a bit on the P39. I don't really have the space for another 40" plane. Also I have 6 corona MG servos and a big sk3 motor in another plane that, on second thought I don't want to shell out for again! I'll be back once that plane falls to pieces though.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah you might be right. The retract unit is 20mm deep. And thato before I ad any wood or anything to strengthen it.

I'm going to hold off for a bit on the P39. I don't really have the space for another 40" plane. Also I have 6 corona MG servos and a big sk3 motor in another plane that, on second thought I don't want to shell out for again! I'll be back once that plane falls to pieces though.

It would MAYBE fit. The nnP-39 does have the thickest wing of any of my designs, but it would be a stretch to get those retracts in.

Goose

IMG_3822.JPG IMG_3823.JPG

Hay Nic, or anyone, I have a question. Does the centre of the motor look to low, like not in the centre?? The power pod is a Nic one and not a FT one. I screwed the motor to the middle of the firewall. Maybe I should of raised it a bit. It will only do another 5-8mm up. Can't see any photos where it sits. Also if you remember it's 100% size, that was only by mistake. What do you think??

I also had a bit of trouble getting the CG right. I'm only using 2200 40c zippy, and I had to put 60g of lead in the nose??

Last edited:

xMeox

I had to remount the firewall of the 800 spit a few times until I got it sitting in the right spot. In the end adjustments are mainly for the eye as you will not notice much change in flying characteristics if you mount it 1cm higher or not.

Concerning weight problems with lighter batteries: my father had the same problem on his sonic nnp-39. Glued in some extra weight, got the cg right and it flew perfect. Sure bigger batteries would give longer flight times but hey, there are worse things than 1m less flight time :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
View attachment 82453 View attachment 82454

Hay Nic, or anyone, I have a question. Does the centre of the motor look to low, like not in the centre?? The power pod is a Nic one and not a FT one. I screwed the motor to the middle of the firewall. Maybe I should of raised it a bit. It will only do another 5-8mm up. Can't see any photos where it sits. Also if you remember it's 100% size, that was only by mistake. What do you think??

I also had a bit of trouble getting the CG right. I'm only using 2200 40c zippy, and I had to put 60g of lead in the nose??

Hmm, it does look low. Did you use the FT firewall? I'll have to add a new firewall to the plans where the motor sits higher. I'm using the nnpod but a modified firewall. You'll still fly fine but if it will drive you crazy definitely make a new pod :)

For CG I can use that same zippy up as far as it will go with a 70g motor. I wonder if your sweet paint might throwing it off a little.

Goose

Hmm, it does look low. Did you use the FT firewall? I'll have to add a new firewall to the plans where the motor sits higher. I'm using the nnpod but a modified firewall. You'll still fly fine but if it will drive you crazy definitely make a new pod :)

For CG I can use that same zippy up as far as it will go with a 70g motor. I wonder if your sweet paint might throwing it off a little.

I am using A firewall I cut out of 3mm ply. The plans are at 110%, which was an accident. I'll try to play around with it tonight. I think I would have to move the BBQ sqewers too, to raise it up. I have reinforcing on the inside of the fuselage so I don't want to start moving all that around.

Look what i've got

20170226_101352_resized.jpg

I need to crash something first so that I have the space & servos for the build. I'm looking forward to some unparalleled DTFB flying.

Goose

Well finally finished. What a great build. I love it. Didn't take as long as I thought but I dragged it out quite a bit. Some more info on the servo set ups and the firewall would be good, but able to sort it out, I think. So just waiting for a calm day for the maiden and will try To get some on video.
Hay Nic any tips for the launch?? Half throttle??? High throw?? It seems to have a bit of torque roll when I give it to it. Happy with the finish and I like the small extra Nic did like the exhaust stacks. Here is a few photos. IMG_3859.JPG IMG_3862.JPG IMG_3849.JPG IMG_3858.JPG

It ended up weighing in at 1215g with a zippy 2200, fully loaded. It was also 1100mm wing span after the accidental mix up of the printed plans.