nnP-39

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Well finally finished. What a great build. I love it. Didn't take as long as I thought but I dragged it out quite a bit. Some more info on the servo set ups and the firewall would be good, but able to sort it out, I think. So just waiting for a calm day for the maiden and will try To get some on video.
Hay Nic any tips for the launch?? Half throttle??? High throw?? It seems to have a bit of torque roll when I give it to it. Happy with the finish and I like the small extra Nic did like the exhaust stacks. Here is a few photos. View attachment 83172 View attachment 83173 View attachment 83174 View attachment 83175

It ended up weighing in at 1215g with a zippy 2200, fully loaded. It was also 1100mm wing span after the accidental mix up of the printed plans.

What a beauty! I love all the details. This is definitely one of the nicest nnP-39s I've ever seen!

I'd go 2/3 throttle on maiden. Low rates are a safe bet at first and then you can adjust as needed later.

Keep us posted!

Hi nic. The p39 is still on hold as I still havent smashed up my big plane yet, but im certainly working on it. Have you ran the Ntm 35-48 on 5s with a 9x9? I'm running it on 4s with 9x9 (can't find any 10x10 in the UK) I'm using a 80 A esc and think the setup could take a bit more.

viggen

I use the ntm 3548 1100kv in all my foamboard planes.i haven't found any 10x10 in the uk.so i use 10x7 on 4s.they go very well.i brought 4 last month as they were £7each from hobby king.i use them with turnigy ae80 esc

Last edited:
I'm sure it flies pretty well. I'm just trying to get the maximum performance possible. I was using a smaller sk3 motor before with the 9x9 at 1250kv on 4s. The Ntm is much bigger and rated for 5s. I think it could handle it

So my electronics have become available.

As the title says, I now have the motor (hopefully it's ok) esc and servos available for my p39

This is how they became available:

20170514_172740_resized.jpg

I had a wing fold while going 100mph+. It was a bit of a strange one. I hadn't been pulling any crazy G. I did a huge half Cuban to build up maximum airspeed for a full bore tail wind 10x10 on crazy setup fly by. After I had been level for a second or 2 the wing folded and the plane went into a high speed death spiral before hitting the deck like an air-to-ground missile.

I wing was reinforced with aluminium like nic's builds and broke on the point where it was partially sawn through for the dihedral.

It's not the first time I've crashed the plane but they've only been minor landing crashes. However, it's been flying a long time and maybe all the minor bumps and hikes in performance caught up with it. It's sad to see it go as it was a sweet flying plane but I've been wanting a p39 for a long time- I've actually just finished the manic micro version.

I'm waiting on some foam then I'll start my build.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Going down in glory! Congrats! :black_eyed:

I wonder if adding some JB Weld or epoxy on the aluminum spar at the cut and bend point would help.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Finally got a video uploaded of my maiden. The first launch belly flopped but this is the second launch.

Thanks for grabbing a video, your build really does look great. Your launch was super twitchy, nice save! Does it launch smoother after you got it all dialed in?

I use the ntm 3548 1100kv in all my foamboard planes.i haven't found any 10x10 in the uk.so i use 10x7 on 4s.they go very well.i brought 4 last month as they were £7each from hobby king.i use them with turnigy ae80 esc

10x10 in UK:
http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1596
http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2089

*disclaimer, I have never used or even heard of these shops before, so purchase at your own risk.

As the title says, I now have the motor (hopefully it's ok) esc and servos available for my p39

This is how they became available:

View attachment 87614

I had a wing fold while going 100mph+. It was a bit of a strange one. I hadn't been pulling any crazy G. I did a huge half Cuban to build up maximum airspeed for a full bore tail wind 10x10 on crazy setup fly by. After I had been level for a second or 2 the wing folded and the plane went into a high speed death spiral before hitting the deck like an air-to-ground missile.

I wing was reinforced with aluminium like nic's builds and broke on the point where it was partially sawn through for the dihedral.

It's not the first time I've crashed the plane but they've only been minor landing crashes. However, it's been flying a long time and maybe all the minor bumps and hikes in performance caught up with it. It's sad to see it go as it was a sweet flying plane but I've been wanting a p39 for a long time- I've actually just finished the manic micro version.

I'm waiting on some foam then I'll start my build.

How's the build coming?

Good to hear from you Nic. I'm building the p39 along side an A-4 by Ben Harber so not super fast. I should have it in the air (and probably crashed, lol) in the next month or so. That motor on a 10x10 is brutal. Can't wait to try bit on a more slippery plane

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Good to hear from you Nic. I'm building the p39 along side an A-4 by Ben Harber so not super fast. I should have it in the air (and probably crashed, lol) in the next month or so. That motor on a 10x10 is brutal. Can't wait to try bit on a more slippery plane

How's your build coming?

Had a community member share his maiden and build review with me. Check it out!

Janaish

Here's my nnP-39 800mm ready for it's maiden.

IMG_5428.jpg

Build with 6mm and 3mm depron. Covered with kraft paper. I forgot to move the firewall top plate back, so my motor is sticking out a little!
Thanks Nic! Your design is fantastic. I even had to add the flaps, they look very real.
Now I am waiting for nice flying weather!

IMG_5418.jpg
IMG_5426.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5418.jpg
    IMG_5418.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Janaish

:love:
Amazing! You did such a great job, wow! How much time do you think you have into it?
Hard to say. I didn't keep track of the time. I started with the build in march but used this build to try new techniques, like covering with brown paper, scaling plans down, use floppy disk as hinges, substitute cardboard with 3mm depron, carve a foam pilot, etc.

Can you tell me Nic, how much elevator you mixed in with the flaps? Just as starting point for my mix?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Okay cool. Well I think you did a great job with the new techniques!

For the elevator mix, start with very little and increase as needed.