Noob needing ESC/ Motor help

NoobFlyer

I’m a newbie to RC Aircraft but am meticulous when it comes to following the right order and getting the details right, especially on something like this.
I’ve connected my motor, ESC, Receiver, and Aileron servos in order to setup and calibrate my ESC. I got a successful bind from my receiver (AR410) to my Transmitter (DX5e) but when I plug my battery in to calibrate, I get a continuous monotone beep that will not stop until I either unplug my battery or I unplug the motor.
I thought it may be the orientation of the wires so I tried every combination and nothing changed. I know it’s not an issue between receiver and transmitter because I’m able to operate my ailerons just fine. I also have the ESC connected in port 1 of my ESC, not the battery port. Do I have a bad motor out of the box? Or maybe a bad ESC?
I would appreciate any help or tips. Please and thank you!

Phin G

Elite member
I had this same problem and I forgot to remove the bind plug but you should have removed that. If you have it is probably a bad esc, a video would help. If you have an extra esc that works then you could plug in the motor and if it works with the good esc it is the esc which is faulty.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I feel like this isn't a faulty ESC since it actually made a noise in the first place. A bad ESC probably wouldn't do anything at all.
I agree with Phin G, a video would be greatly appreciated, there are many beeps that ESC's and motors make, and they even differ across brands. Even if you were very meticulous, there's a good chance that something is a little off, and a couple more pairs of eyes could help find it.

NoobFlyer

I feel like this isn't a faulty ESC since it actually made a noise in the first place. A bad ESC probably wouldn't do anything at all.
I agree with Phin G, a video would be greatly appreciated, there are many beeps that ESC's and motors make, and they even differ across brands. Even if you were very meticulous, there's a good chance that something is a little off, and a couple more pairs of eyes could help find it.
Copy that, When I get home from work today I’ll take a video and post it.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
i had the exact same problem...
check that your throttle is ALL the way down or up, and that your trim for your throttle is also all the way down...

mine does that when i power it up and my throttle stick is half way or anywhere but at the top (for callibration), and for normal use make sure it is all the way down

quorneng

Master member
I agree the continuous single beep is the ESC telling you it is not happy with the throttle position so for safety it will go no further towards 'arming' the ESC to drive the motor. All the other receiver functions are driven by the BEC circuit in the ESC so will work.
The BL Heli type ESC's are more critical than some as once the beeping starts it will not work no matter what you do with the throttle. The throttle has to be correctly set at 'power on' for it to drive the motor normally.

NoobFlyer

Okay so an update, I was messing with Ailerons and found out that it is reading my elevator as the throttle. How do I change that? Also, I’m sorry for the naive question but how do you post videos on this thread? It won’t let me in the attach files area.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Okay so an update, I was messing with Ailerons and found out that it is reading my elevator as the throttle. How do I change that? Also, I’m sorry for the naive question but how do you post videos on this thread? It won’t let me in the attach files area.
Then I would say that you have the ESC plugged into the wrong channel. Post videos on youtube then attach the link to it

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Also I sometimes get a continuous beep from an ESC but that has to do with my transmitter setup. Example : My radio uses AFHDS and can also use AFHDS2A , If the model I select on the transmitter is set up for AFHDS and there is a AFHDS2A receiver in the plane there will be a continuous beep until I switch the transmitter to AFHDS2A and vice versa

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Throttle should be channel one on that receiver I believe

NoobFlyer

So research and talking with support all points to my Transmitter being in the wrong mode. I bought the transmitter used and they may have switched the modes but either way, that should fix it. I’ll test it when I’m home later this afternoon and post an update. Thank y’all for all the input. It makes this RC newbie feel not so lost.

NoobFlyer

I have some updates for y’all. I’m not completely ready to fly yet as I have one main issue to solve now, but as for my motor reacting to throttle and calibrating, it works! My Transmitter was in the wrong mode and my elevator stick was the throttle. I switched modes and now it calibrates and operates. My only issue now is something disconnected between my Tx and Rx and losing the signal sent my motor into Full throttle. The reason I know it was between my Tx and Rx is because I connected everything and was operating it, then to see if that was the issue, I turned my Tx off and sure enough, it goes into full throttle. I tried starting my Tx back up but it still didn’t respond. Not until I disconnected the battery and re connected it.

NoobFlyer

Not good practice to turn off transmitter before unplugging battery.
After reading the manual for my receiver it says how I performed my test is correct. No prop, secured, turn transmitter off. The issue is my fail safe. I’m getting pretty good at researching. 😂

Attachments

• 948157DA-C0E6-4112-BA1B-C65D1425FD5C.png
    948157DA-C0E6-4112-BA1B-C65D1425FD5C.png
    458.2 KB · Views: 0

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
intresting, Spektrum's default for the throttle channel is to zero out the signal, sounds like you might have set the fail safe behavior after you did the binding. There will be something in there related to a long hold of the bind button (or something like that), which which will let you set the fail safe behavior.

NoobFlyer

intresting, Spektrum's default for the throttle channel is to zero out the signal, sounds like you might have set the fail safe behavior after you did the binding. There will be something in there related to a long hold of the bind button (or something like that), which which will let you set the fail safe behavior.
Yea the manual I found says to rebind my Rx and Tx with my throttle at 0% in order to reprogram the fail safe

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Yea the manual I found says to rebind my Rx and Tx with my throttle at 0% in order to reprogram the fail safe
True for all channels in Spektrum. Make sure everything is where you want failsafe to go before you bind. Because there are several transmitter/receiver protocols out there, not everyone knows how Spektrum responds to failsafe.

Aviator936

i think its easy. just plug the wire in the other way round? i dont personally have the transmitter but that always works for me

boogieloo

That's interesting. Did the engine start or at least the servos start? On my next setup, ESC engine and 2 servos, 35 A and a tattu battery, of which I hope to start, the receiver should come on a a monotone beep once, then zero position throttle, normal position, bat connected to receiver, all things should start. The motor, the two servos in the correct mode. There a 4 different modes. Hopefully it is in mode 2 or mode 4. 4 being the standard. Left stick, up and down, throttle, left right, aileron, right stick, up and down, elevator, right left rudder. This would be the standard on the one I have. Flysky and the receiver. The other is mode 1, which is the opposite. So I hope it turns out the right way this time with the correct battery again. The receiver will turn on. The transmitter is still good. Did yours happen to get all mixed up at start up? I had the wrong battery the first setup. It closed down automatically locked out. I don't think it burned a fuse. You cannot burn a fuse by leaving it on too long. The transmitter, meaning the signal diode in the transmitter will just shut off from the receiver automatically. The receiver then and after will not pick up anything. A dead battery is the Tattu. Because it won't work with the correct frequency from the transmitter. 2.4 Ghz. I think. That is the Flysky. I have been interested in the electronics part a long time. I don't want to waste my money. So I'm figuring out what is going on each time something happens.

If you want to know, the peak inverse voltage on the diode in Flysky is higher. Meaning the reverse bias on opening up a transistor in the transmitter is very specific. So it shuts off automatic before the flysky signal diode can reach peak inverse voltage. Save yourself some burned out transmitter. Its an engineering problem.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: