Not sure when I'll be able to build/fly again

basslord1124

Master member
Man, not sure where to start with this, but the title does say it all at this point. Of course I generally don't do a lot of flying over the winter months anyways. And I really can't express this to anyone else except those here who are also addicts of flying RC planes. As much as they try, I don't think my family quite understands the addiction. :)

Things have taken such a crazy and wonderful turn over the past month that I have a super full plate and then some. Basically my wife went into premature labor last month and our baby was born about 3.5 months early. Baby is doing fine and is in our hospital's NICU under some excellent care. She's just hanging there until she gets bigger and is ready to come home. :) This baby is our first, and her name is Sadie. And speaking of home, there is also sooooo much that needs to be done to the house to prepare for her arrival we are definitely going to have our hands tied up. Her room hasn't been cleaned up, painted, or anything. Plus, where she arrived early we haven't even had a shower yet.

So anyways, with these responsibilities and things coming up PLUS my ever caring nature of always putting other peoples needs ahead of myself, it is very unclear when I'll be building/flying again. Just have some bigger things going on obviously. :D Although, family still bought me some plane stuff for Christmas (foamboard and some servos). I'll try and squeeze in time when I can, but I think time will be limited. If anybody out there has some ideas/suggestions for time management with these types of situations I'm all ears (well with message boards, it'd be eyes instead of ears).:D

Attachments

• 20171217_141732-3.jpg
    20171217_141732-3.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 0

jaredstrees

First off, CONGRATULATIONS! I have two and it can be tough to manage a hobby and family. For a few years I didn't even try at all myself. I realize that is a mistake! I too usually place others before myself, especially the family. You just have to learn where you can put in a few minutes here and there. I do a lot of building after the kids go to bed. I'll fly a pack or two after work on the way home once or twice a week. No hours long flying sessions ,but 20 to 30 minutes here and there will keep you happy as well. If you don't take a few minutes to yourself once in a while then it can lead to other issues. Resentment, jealousy, etc. So don't give it up. It may need to take a back seat, but you will need an escape as well. Kids are hard work but very rewarding. Good luck!!!!!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Congratulations!

If you have charged lipos that you won't be using for a while, you might want to set them to a storage charge and secure them where they can't start a fire. I find that when I am super busy I tend to forget these things and IMO forgotten lipos are hazardous.

If you can't build another model for a while, you can still use flight themes in the paint job and maybe build a FliteTest foamie mobile.

You never know. If she starts out around RC planes, by the time she's 6 or 8 she may want to join you in the hobby. :)

basslord1124

Master member
Congratulations!

If you have charged lipos that you won't be using for a while, you might want to set them to a storage charge and secure them where they can't start a fire. I find that when I am super busy I tend to forget these things and IMO forgotten lipos are hazardous.

If you can't build another model for a while, you can still use flight themes in the paint job and maybe build a FliteTest foamie mobile.

You never know. If she starts out around RC planes, by the time she's 6 or 8 she may want to join you in the hobby. :)

Yeah the lipo thing hit me recently. Normally I put em back in storage charge after use anyways (so they should be at storage level) but I do wonder if they still may have lost/gained power while sitting. I know some check their lipos often.

I think in the end I'd like her to join me in the hobby, but that's too far away to tell. If she does, great...if not, that's fine too. Just whatever makes her happy.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Congratulations. I was only 2 months early, but that was already 43 years ago ;).

Good luck with your new hobby, you are going to wish you had a remote control or at least a power off switch now and then ;-)

Gazoo

Congrats! I wish you all of the best. And, yes, parenthood is a rewarding endeavor.

I will say that it is important to get away for a bit and do something for yourself. I say this because not only does it give you a chance to breathe, but it also reminds (and gives permission) for your wife to do the same and not feel guilty about it. Do something for yourself and let her do the same without feeling bad about it. In the end, your family is first.

Again, Best Wishes!
Gazoo

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
First congratulations on your daughter. Great to hear she is doing well and under good care. Such an awesome Holiday present to get.

I am not sure how you feel about multi rotors but something like a Tiny whoop or a Gremlin could fill the flying need nearly anywhere at any time. Nothing says it has to be FPV to be fun. I rip packs on my Gremlin quite frequently line of sight. I even when I get too antsy and have not flown for a while will fly it inside my tiny apartment simply walking behind it going from room to room. I think I even have it close enough tune wise that I could probably start flying FPV if the courage and inspiration comes to do so.

There is also tissue and balsa FAIO (I think thats the classification) you could take up. They can be small and light enough to fly inside and not hurt anything if you want to just stick with fixed wing. Super cheap too as a few pieces of balsa some tissue paper and glue would not be so expensive it would hurt a newly revised budget to badly I would not think.

Anyway again Congrats on the new addition to your family and best wishes for the coming year for you and your family as I am sure this will all be a challenge for a while.

basslord1124

Master member
Congrats! I wish you all of the best. And, yes, parenthood is a rewarding endeavor.

I will say that it is important to get away for a bit and do something for yourself. I say this because not only does it give you a chance to breathe, but it also reminds (and gives permission) for your wife to do the same and not feel guilty about it. Do something for yourself and let her do the same without feeling bad about it. In the end, your family is first.

Again, Best Wishes!
Gazoo

Thanks so much Gazoo!

Yeah I'm a firm believer and getting away occasionally and having some alone time. Gotta recharge those batteries. And I have always believed that a person should have a hobby or find something that interests them to do outside of their normal day to day activities. I really sort of worry about my wife too in that sense. She's actually very crafty...she has done sewing, cross stitch, painting, and numerous other things as well. And I think she fears she won't have time either.

First congratulations on your daughter. Great to hear she is doing well and under good care. Such an awesome Holiday present to get.

I am not sure how you feel about multi rotors but something like a Tiny whoop or a Gremlin could fill the flying need nearly anywhere at any time. Nothing says it has to be FPV to be fun. I rip packs on my Gremlin quite frequently line of sight. I even when I get too antsy and have not flown for a while will fly it inside my tiny apartment simply walking behind it going from room to room. I think I even have it close enough tune wise that I could probably start flying FPV if the courage and inspiration comes to do so.

There is also tissue and balsa FAIO (I think thats the classification) you could take up. They can be small and light enough to fly inside and not hurt anything if you want to just stick with fixed wing. Super cheap too as a few pieces of balsa some tissue paper and glue would not be so expensive it would hurt a newly revised budget to badly I would not think.

Anyway again Congrats on the new addition to your family and best wishes for the coming year for you and your family as I am sure this will all be a challenge for a while.

Thanks Psyborg...yeah definitely our best Christmas present. :D

In the end, I prefer planes but I have nothing against multirotors. We have a DJI Phantom 3 that we use for video/photography reasons, but I also have a Syma X5C to tinker around with and work on my skills. While the Tiny Whoop is pretty appealing, those are pretty much out of my budget. I might consider a non-FPV equivalent that's cheaper. I really haven't even ventured into FPV yet and figured that might come a little later anyways.

I have seen the tissue and balsa thing you are talking about. It is pretty neat. Dunno if I would venture into it or not. Basically right now, aside from the drones mentioned above, I had sort of started an FT plane focus. I have a Storch, Seaduck, and am currently working on a Simple Cub and FT3D. All of course, are at different levels of needing work done. Some not needing as much as others.