obliterated batbone tail

doomfest

Lesson learned: tune those PIDs well and fly a bit more before trying to FPV. (How is that prop still alive?) IMG_20141013_073544.jpg
2014-10-13_15-33-56.jpg

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
It's really time for the Tough Tilt, isn't it? :)

I just broke an arm on my quad, but the prop is still ok too. Props are weird.

doomfest

@Balu: I guess it depends on your point of impact—this thing must have landed basically sideways... Maybe the prop orientation at time of impact too?

@joshuabardwell: Sure! I'd love to take any advice at this point.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
@joshuabardwell: Sure! I'd love to take any advice at this point.

When learning to fly LOS, the "safe" thing to do is to hover. If you get in trouble, you go back to hovering nose-out to recover. When flying FPV, I found that hovering was very hard. When flying FPV, the "safe" thing to do (for me) is to fly slowly forward. So, the first thing I do if I am starting to lose control or get disoriented when flying FPV is to yaw until the camera is facing in the direction of travel. Now that I am facing forward, I know that pitching forward will speed me up and pitching back a little will slow me down. I find it very hard to fly sideways in FPV (due to my inexperience) so I kind of just treat the copter like an airplane for now and fly it only forward.

It's difficult to land FPV because you can't see how high you are off the ground. You can land too hard, and you can also enter ground effect unexpectedly and bounce back up again, or get unsteady. What works for me is to set up an approach where the copter is moving slowly forward, towards the landing location. Once I have established a slow forward speed, next I set the throttle so that the copter is descending slowly. Then, as the ground gets close, I start to watch for signs of entering ground effect, and when I do, or when the ground is obviously close I smoothly cut the throttle. The key thing here is not to try to land vertically, but to set up a "glide slope" that lets you anticipate how far away the ground is and see it coming.

doomfest

When learning to fly LOS, the "safe" thing to do is to hover. If you get in trouble, you go back to hovering nose-out to recover. When flying FPV, I found that hovering was very hard. When flying FPV, the "safe" thing to do (for me) is to fly slowly forward. So, the first thing I do if I am starting to lose control or get disoriented when flying FPV is to yaw until the camera is facing in the direction of travel. Now that I am facing forward, I know that pitching forward will speed me up and pitching back a little will slow me down. I find it very hard to fly sideways in FPV (due to my inexperience) so I kind of just treat the copter like an airplane for now and fly it only forward.

It's difficult to land FPV because you can't see how high you are off the ground. You can land too hard, and you can also enter ground effect unexpectedly and bounce back up again, or get unsteady. What works for me is to set up an approach where the copter is moving slowly forward, towards the landing location. Once I have established a slow forward speed, next I set the throttle so that the copter is descending slowly. Then, as the ground gets close, I start to watch for signs of entering ground effect, and when I do, or when the ground is obviously close I smoothly cut the throttle. The key thing here is not to try to land vertically, but to set up a "glide slope" that lets you anticipate how far away the ground is and see it coming.

Ah, that's a good tip, I've never heard of flying slowly forward before. Glide slope is a good idea too. How accurate are the barometers on OSDs for detecting how close you are to the ground?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
How accurate are the barometers on OSDs for detecting how close you are to the ground?

I'm not sure, as I don't fly with one. GPS-based altimeters are decent, but even then, you're only going to get maybe 1 meter precision. Not enough to land by. Barometers are less accurate. I think you really have to rely on visual indicators. If you descend slowly, you will be able to tell for sure once you enter ground effect.

doomfest

I'm not sure, as I don't fly with one. GPS-based altimeters are decent, but even then, you're only going to get maybe 1 meter precision. Not enough to land by. Barometers are less accurate. I think you really have to rely on visual indicators. If you descend slowly, you will be able to tell for sure once you enter ground effect.

I thought GPS altimeters were the less accurate ones? But then again I have no idea how these things work.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I thought GPS altimeters were the less accurate ones? But then again I have no idea how these things work.

I think there's a big difference between the barometers we put on our quads and the ones they put on full-scale airplanes. When I look at the readout from my barometer, it is all over the place, just sitting still in my room. When I do altitude hold, the quad drifts up and down over about a ten meter range. I conclude that the barometer is probably not very good.

GPS will give you about 1 meter precision in the best case, and maybe about 2-3 meter precision on average. (In my experience.)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
For the Taranis I can get two variometer sensors for telemetry - a very precise one and a "normal" one. So it's probably just the sensor module that defines how accurate the readout is.

doomfest

I remember at some point the flite test guys put a piece of cotton over the barometer to keep wind interference to a minimum. Do you think that might be it?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I remember at some point the flite test guys put a piece of cotton over the barometer to keep wind interference to a minimum. Do you think that might be it?

The Flip is in a case. I don't know if that accomplishes the same thing as putting cotton over the baro.