OFFICIAL Bixler thread!!!

Josimac

Looks great- nice job- surely you've flown it by now?

Yes! The maiden flight was three weeks ago. It flies like a dream with very little trim needed. I did mix in some down elevator with the flaps, so it slows down nicely and stays level. I feel like it's a nice mix between a glider and a trainer. My Dad and I were able to get some good footage with a little DVR camera we have. Since then, we have only been able to fly one other time, but at 26 degrees, we barely made it through 2 batteries before we gave out to cold fingers!

MrClean

Finally, have made it through this thread. I bought a Bix about a month ago and have just got it out of the box. A box, and shipping box, that looked like they needed to prop the hood on the van open with something. But nothing but a slight ding on the nose of the Bix, all else is fine. Saving money to buy a Fatshark Setup, couple more paychecks away for that. So not in a whole bunch of hurry to put this together.
So, sat down today to deal with those pesky stickers. What to use to get them off, save just fly it a bit. I went through the whole thread here to see if anyone had hints then found, they just peel right off, no heat are solvents required.

Now mine is naked and I can go pick up some foam safe paint to pretty it back up.

sameerkm

Sameer,
Props should always be mounted with the lettering facing forward. If you put it on backwards it will still work but a little less efficiently. If you need your motor to turn in the opposite direction however, then that is done by switching any 2 of the 3 phase leads going between the ESC and the motor. It all depends on whether your prop was meant to spin clockwise or counter-clockwise. Whichever you have you can make your motor work for you accordingly.
—Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the advise. I checked my prop and it was put backwards. I have put it properly and now the Bixler flies beautifully.

Regards,
Sameer

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Congratulations. I hardly have time for anything RC except visiting the forum. I'm glad when I can finally contribute.
You'll have to share a photo from where you're at. I've always enjoyed the scenery in and around the Gulf. The art in the cities was always extraordinary.
—Jim

Mash13

Hey guys, first post for me. Ive had my bixler 1.1 RTF a few months now and got some good stick time. I'm loving this plane, the feeling of when you pull off a successful flight is great. Ive been racing RC cars for a few years now, but in no way does that compare to flight!

Anyway today I was having a great flight when all of sudden she went nose heavy and I came in and touched her down nicely to find all the glue holding the electronics velcro had melted and all the electronics were down in the nose. The ESC was HOT I could touch it for around 3-4 secs and the inside of the fuse was like a little oven. I let it all cool down and then had another quick flight without the canopy (no loops lol) and the electronics were cool like usual.

Today here in Perth it was 37 celcius so fairly hot. Ive installed a fan on the ESC but wanted some advice on where to cut a cooling hole without affecting the handling too much? Any ideas guys?

-Mike

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Best to use a small scoop so the cross section isn't affected too much. Plastic spoons work awesome. Also, remember to have the exit hole twice the area of the inlet hole.
This is a clear one to show the hole.
100_2353.jpg

Bedrock

Well after a few flights with the FT Flyer and plenty of sim time, I maidened the Bixler 2 today. Pre. flight check before leaving house discovered I had the rudder reversed (!). This was quickly fixed on the 9x. It was a bit windy but all went well, 2 batteries ran through and zero damage. Still about 55% left in the batts. so should be able to fly longer next time. Had flaps set up and boy do they work! Did some power off floating in the wind, and had great fun.

All the info picked up on here really helped to make things go well so thanks everybody!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Congratulations Bedrock. You seem like a very disciplined flyer. It will be nice to read how it goes in the flights to come. Photos and videos of course are very welcome.
—Jim

Bedrock

Pre-flight checks.

Congratulations Bedrock. You seem like a very disciplined flyer. It will be nice to read how it goes in the flights to come. Photos and videos of course are very welcome.
—Jim

Thanks Jim, I forgot to mention that I had to return home for the carbon spar after getting to the local (waterlogged) football fields where I fly for now. It's a point for everybody to remember with the Bixler 2, especially if you have flaps - double double check all the servo connections are correct and tight, that the screws are secure and the carbon rod is installed. Then check prop and linkages - I put a little shrink wrap over all the linkages just for security, cheap and easy. Some needle nose pliers inside the wrap to stretch it out slightly helps get it on before shrinking. Mind your foam when you do.

At the field I was rushing - time was short, the wind was picking up, tomorrows forecast is dreadful. If I hadn't noticed the rudder reversal whilst charging the batteries at home it could have been a disaster. It would have been very annoying as the Bixler has been "finished" and ready to fly for about 2 weeks!

I'm hopefully about to join a local club, and when talking to the other members on Tuesday night at indoor flying somebody told a story of a 3D balsa built plane that was destroyed on its maiden as the pilot forgot the wing tube. It's so easy to forget a simple but critical item.
Bedrock

captain chaos

hey guys new to the forum and to flying but thought id share my experiences so far.
first off i bought the bixler v1.1 from hobbyking arf version (almost ready to fly)
had a Spektrum DX5E mode1 tx but made it mode 2 as i like the throttle on the left
bought the turnigy plush 30amp speed controller and a 2200Mah 3s lipo
and set about putting it all together.
i must say the instruction book is useless but who needs instructions lol.
anyway finally got it all working and glued together, placed the fiber tape on the underside for landing and along the seams for added strength.
took it out to a new industrial site with no buildings on it and proceeded to launch the plane.
for its maiden flight and my first time flying and setting up a plane it flew straight.
so using the ailerons to turn the plane around worked really well till it came close to the ground and being a newbie i went the wrong way with the sticks and tried to bury the nose in the ground.
so 10 min drive to location 10 min range check and all the other checks and i was in the air for a total of 30-40 seconds.
damage was minimal splayed nose (fixed with glue and tape)
the rear tail section fell apart bad gluing on my part but all repaired for another go.
next day went back with a mate who also has the bixler also a newbie to planes but does own quadcopters.
launched my plane and it just nose dived to the ground i figured the extra weight of the tape was doing this so moved the battery back and off she went straight and true, after a few min of flight came in to land and dropped the nose down a liitle too much so throttled up and pulled back on the elevator nothing happened and the hit the ground hard again.
found out on inspection the prop had come loose and didnt turn when i powered it up. oh well live and learn.
so went home and downloaded clearview flight simulator so i could practice with the controller without killing the bixler in real life.
at first with the sim i crashed alot not used to flying nose in where the controls are reversed for the ailerons,but after a few hours got pretty good at flying around and landing.
so today after fixing all the small things on the bixler took it to the local oval and flew it like ive never flown before nice level flight great turning and brilliant landings.
so glad i had the simulator time it helped heaps.
anway if anyone is new to flying like me i sugest the flight sim with the tx you will be flying with and then get a bixler great first plane to learn on.

apurchase

Had a Bixler 1 and last year I bought a Bixler 2, earlier this spring I decided to spruce it up a little. Nothing real special, a clearance can of paint from Walmart and some painters tape, maybe give someone some inspiration.

Happy flying!

image.jpeg