Opinions on Radiomaster tx16s.

Bricks

Master member
Being a Spektrum guy and owning a DX9 and Radiomaster TX16s the ergonomics of the squire box of the TX16s is really lacking. If your techy at all then OTx is not to bad to learn but being an old fart it`s not that easy when getting into more then a basic setup. Worst problem is many of the videos about OTx is not the right way to use OTx for the way it is designed to run, so conflicts abound. Because of this doing some of the simple things get very frustrating to figure out.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Being a Spektrum guy and owning a DX9 and Radiomaster TX16s the ergonomics of the squire box of the TX16s is really lacking. If your techy at all then OTx is not to bad to learn but being an old fart it`s not that easy when getting into more then a basic setup. Worst problem is many of the videos about OTx is not the right way to use OTx for the way it is designed to run, so conflicts abound. Because of this doing some of the simple things get very frustrating to figure out.
If you have any examples of those "things", we would certainly like to know what they are and provide assistance.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I had an easier time figuring out how to setup my OpenTx system then my spektrum, because I just setup what I wanted, instead of figuring out what menu/feature name did the thing I wanted... and if I wanted something that wasn't in one of those menus... then I was stuck.

Bricks

Master member
Throttle cut can do the simple way of just assigning a switch but not very safe. Some of the Youtube videos show using a curve to not allow throttle to be engaged until throttle stick is below -99%. But when I put this way of doing a Throttle cut to the OT guys they told me it is not the proper way to utilize OTx and mentioned most of the Youtube videos are not the proper way to use the firmware.. Trying to do it the way they kind of explained I am just not understanding what they are doing. The big problem I run across is many of the OT guys think everyone understands most phases of programing.

tomlogan1

Elite member
I didn't have a dog in this fight until yesterday. As a former DX6e user who converted to FlySky, the Radiomaster offered me the ability to have multiple protocols. That allows me to continue to use FlySky redeivers which are solid performers, BUT, if I see a BNF that I want, I no longer have to cary multiple radios.
My TX16S is in transit.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Throttle cut can do the simple way of just assigning a switch but not very safe. Some of the Youtube videos show using a curve to not allow throttle to be engaged until throttle stick is below -99%. But when I put this way of doing a Throttle cut to the OT guys they told me it is not the proper way to utilize OTx and mentioned most of the Youtube videos are not the proper way to use the firmware.. Trying to do it the way they kind of explained I am just not understanding what they are doing. The big problem I run across is many of the OT guys think everyone understands most phases of programing.

There is no "right way" with OTX. That's the beauty of it. There's several ways to do the same function. Traditionalists think everything has to be set in a certain place and with OTX it simply does not. For example quad pilots sometimes set up a two toggle process to arm their quads so even it you bump an arm switch while bending over to set the quad down its not gonna fire up in your hand or worse yet jump off the ground and eat your face. Same can be done for throttle cut on fixed wing. But you can still simply assign a switch and tell it to set -110 make sure it activates the way you desire to have the switch work and be done with it if that is your thing.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Simplest way to do throttle cut is to program an override that forces your throttle channel(s) low. Here is an example where I was doing differential thrust on two different channels, and I set a special function to override each channel when my cut switch SF was flipped in the direction I chose.
IMG_20211005_235520_049.jpg

Bricks

Master member
Simplest way to do throttle cut is to program an override that forces your throttle channel(s) low. Here is an example where I was doing differential thrust on two different channels, and I set a special function to override each channel when my cut switch SF was flipped in the direction I chose.
View attachment 209264

That is not a safe way to do throttle cut if your throttle stick is up and you flip the switch the motors starts instantly.
A safe throttle cut will only allow the motors to spin up until -100 is reached first by the throttle stick position no matter where the throttle stick is at when the switch is flipped.

Just a side note Spektrum has this feature set up any time a throttle cut is setup automatically.

Last edited:

JasonK

That is not a safe way to do throttle cut if your throttle stick is up and you flip the switch the motors starts instantly.
A safe throttle cut will only allow the motors to spin up until -100 is reached first by the throttle stick position no matter where the throttle stick is at when the switch is flipped.

Just a side note Spektrum has this feature set up any time a throttle cut is setup automatically.

my spektrum's throttle cut seemed to act exactly like that, zero for switched off, what ever the throttle was at when it was on, none of this 'throttle must be zero' before you can disable the throttle cut. Spektrum also wouldn't let me throttle cut a secondary motor channel.

tamuct01

This is exactly what I do, and as I understand it is very reliable from a code perspective as the Special Functions are executed later in the runtime loop. You could use some logical switches to ensure that throttle is -100 and the safety switch is disengaged to actually release the throttle, but that's more complicated for the average person to set up. FWIW, if you have OpenTX set up a safety switch for you in the new model LUA script it sets a weight of -100 in the Mixer section attached to a switch. To each his own as long as you understand what is going on in the program path.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Im gonna have to get the tx16s . Ive been running spektrum ffor 2 yrs now. Planes its good but fpv hates spektrum. A lot of my fcs dont have 3.3v or they dont make spektrum spi rxs. And I want to run express lrs but I can't on spektrum. So tx16s it is.

mcmoyer

I started the hobby in 2012 with helicopters and Devo radios. I installed Devention on them and especially loved my Devo 10 with devention on it. I could do anything I wanted with it and being the techy-type that I am, all my configuration was done in vim on my laptop. I used this radio exclusively with DSMX receivers (my Blade 450x, CFX180, quads, etc)

Then around 2017 my USB port on my Devo 10 went south and I got FOMO and thought I should get the "real transmitter". I picked up a used DX9. It took some getting used to. It was definitely larger than my Devo 10 and programming was really different. Some things are super simple on the DX9, like Flaps. Select an option and you've got flaps enabled and they automatically have the delay set. Other things like setting up the panic signal for my SpiritRX are still a bit wonky and I need to refer back to notes to repeat the process.

I got into fixed wing, and everything was fine until I experienced a hold or two with my LemonRX receivers. I then experienced FOMO again and thought I should get the "real receiver". I purchased a couple of AR630s. Man, forward programming is awesome with these things. Everything was fine again. But then I experienced a hold on my Marlin with an AR630 in it. Then a couple weeks later at a different field, I experienced it again. I quickly realized that without a Windows computer, updating these receivers was impossible. I also realized that Spektrum has abandoned the cheaper sport receiver market *with antennas*

So know I'm wondering if I should make the jump to something like a TX16. My main worry about moving to something non-spektrum has been that my DX9 has a diversity antenna and I thought that would give me better range. Now I'm not so sure. The other issue is that I definitely feel a quality difference between my Devo 10 and my DX9.

For planes like my Arrows Marlin, I'm not even sure AS3X is needed. It would be nice to be able to get a branded receiver for a decent price instead of paying $75 ~ $100 for a receiver that has extra functionality that I don't need.

It would also be nice to get back to a radio where I can do the programming via a text editor instead of a scroll wheel and a button. I hate setting up model names in the DX9 :)

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
It would also be nice to get back to a radio where I can do the programming via a text editor instead of a scroll wheel and a button. I hate setting up model names in the DX9 :)
What a lot of people do is just set up a model for each different rx type they use.

Bricks

Master member
my spektrum's throttle cut seemed to act exactly like that, zero for switched off, what ever the throttle was at when it was on, none of this 'throttle must be zero' before you can disable the throttle cut. Spektrum also wouldn't let me throttle cut a secondary motor channel.

Which Spektrum transmitter did you have? Many of the cheaper DXi and DXe did not have many features at all. With the newer Spektrum DX series as far as programing an actual plane there is very little it cannot do that OTx can.

JasonK

Which Spektrum transmitter did you have? Many of the cheaper DXi and DXe did not have many features at all. With the newer Spektrum DX series as far as programing an actual plane there is very little it cannot do that OTx can.

I have a dx6e and dx8e and neither of them come even _close_ to the functionality of my OpenTx stuff and even the 6e cost me more.

Bricks

Master member
I got into fixed wing, and everything was fine until I experienced a hold or two with my LemonRX receivers. I then experienced FOMO again and thought I should get the "real receiver". I purchased a couple of AR630s. Man, forward programming is awesome with these things. Everything was fine again. But then I experienced a hold on my Marlin with an AR630 in it. Then a couple weeks later at a different field, I experienced it again. I quickly realized that without a Windows computer, updating these receivers was impossible. I also realized that Spektrum has abandoned the cheaper sport receiver market *with antennas*

So know I'm wondering if I should make the jump to something like a TX16. My main worry about moving to something non-spektrum has been that my DX9 has a diversity antenna and I thought that would give me better range. Now I'm not so sure. The other issue is that I definitely feel a quality difference between my Devo 10 and my DX9.

For planes like my Arrows Marlin, I'm not even sure AS3X is needed. It would be nice to be able to get a branded receiver for a decent price instead of paying $75 ~ $100 for a receiver that has extra functionality that I don't need.

Here is bit of a write up from Andy from Spektrum talking about Holds.

I wouldn't worry at all about antenna fades (A, B, R, and L). I only care about Frame Losses (F) and Holds (H).

Look at your logged telemetry data file. Any frame loss data is basically useless unless you are logging telemetry. No telemetry log? Go back and make one.

Let's pretend for a moment that you had frame losses instead of antenna fades. Are they occurring while on the ground? That's normal. Look up Fresnel Zone if you want to understand that. Simply, "the earth sucks."

If you're here, then that means that you got the frame losses during flight. Were they at particular attitudes? (You can tell if you're flying a racetrack pattern and you see spikes every X seconds). That's normal, but is a hint that you may want to consider moving your remote receiver since it's in a position that it is being shadowed on occasion. Don't have a remote receiver? You might want to consider adding one, but don't decide yet - we still more logic to review.

My personal target is to have frame losses below 2% of the actual flight time, though in practice even 5% is still acceptable for some aircraft. So, how many is 2%?

Since there are 91 frames going out every second, 2% is roughly 2 counts per second. 1100 frame losses would be acceptable to me for a flight 550 seconds (9 minutes) or longer. If I were targeting 5%, then any flight more than 220 seconds (3.5 minutes) would be OK. In short, if you flew more than 3.5 minutes, 1100 frame losses (F) is not a problem in practice.

It's not uncommon for two models to have different characteristics. The wiring, battery location, receiver location, motor location, etc. all affect RF performance.

In short, I'd fly your Air Tractor in a heartbeat without worry.

Andy End Quote

Bricks

Master member
I have a dx6e and dx8e and neither of them come even _close_ to the functionality of my OpenTx stuff and even the 6e cost me more.

I understand the cost ? but the E series is not close to the DX6 and up series not to mention the new NX series. The D series transmitters are already 2 generations old so that is not even a good comparison. I have both a Spektrum DX9 and Radiomaster TX16s by biggest complaint is the ergonomics of the square box of the Radiomaster I keep hitting switches when I do not want too. Simple plane setup with OTx is pretty easy but when you start getting into more complicated setups I get very confuseld because nobody does the same thing the same way, so what happens when asking a question you get different answers from different people.( which causes a DUH ) If your techy and understand basic how programing work flows it would be much easier to learn. For me trying to figure out the the basic flow of programing is not my cup of tea, give me something mechanical not a problem.

The multi module is one of the best things of the Radiomaster TX16s and now Edge is available which allows touch screen programing should help in setting up the radio. So if I was going to get the Radiomaster make sure you spend the extra coin to get the touch screen, it can be updated to Edge right now even thou it is still in development. It seems to be very stable and usable it will still be getting many updates in the future.

JasonK

I understand the cost ?
getting a non "e" version is +$100 or more over the "e" model, a DX6 is like 2x the cost of what I paid for my RM TX16S and that is for only 6 channels, for anything beyond simple 4 channel park flyers, it is really easy to end up needing more then 6 channels. for Example on my quad/FCed wings I am using >6 channels.

looks like a NX8 is on sale for $400, I could have 2 RM TX 16Ss for that price, and functionality wise the RM is better matched by the ix12 (~$675) [RM has a 4-in-1, so I don't need multiple TXs, the ix12 has wifi and blue tooth, which I don't see much value for and is running some sort of android, which I have heard tends to be power hungry and slow]

Honestly, I see no point for the Spektrum stuff to charge you for more channels between the radio and receiver or the amount of mixes/etc [or at least no artifically limit you to low numbers like 6/8]. To me it seems like an intentional gimping of the lower end devices to encourage additional purchase of a more expensive radio (the software is already developed to handle more channels, but it appears to be a simple 'only enable 6 channels on the 6 channel model and 8 on the 8 channel model' situation)

when you start getting into more complicated setups I get very confuseld because nobody does the same thing the same way, so what happens when asking a question you get different answers from different people.
My experiance is that people who like OpenTx find that to be a feature, not a bug (which you seem to see it as).

If your techy and understand basic how programing work flows it would be much easier to learn.
I wrote my first program in elementary school (I was at a K-2nd school) on an apple IIc (or roughly that), because of that, I find OpenTX to be massively more intuitive then the menus on the spektrums, I have inputs, mixes, outputs and the ability to change stuff to behave the way I want and don't have to fight with the limited options that the people who made the spektrum radio think I might want.

LitterBug

Techno Nut

What you are talking about is not throttle cut. That is ARMING. Try to keep the terms straight. And NO, my spektrum does NOT do throttle cut the way you describe. Nor does my spektrum allow me to cut multiple channels.

By Default on the TX16s (OTX in general), when you select a model, or turn the radio on, it DOES check throttle is at zero before allowing the trottle to work. If it's not, the throttle remains at -100 untill you clear the error.

Last edited: