Opinions on Radiomaster tx16s.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
If it’s only about cost, why even bother with the Radiomaster? There are transmitters that are much cheaper.

Turnigy Radio for under $60.

Of course, the ergonomics are horrible, the range is lousy, it only has 20 model memory, but you can buy 3 of them for less than the price of the Radiomaster.

The point of looking at the more expensive radios is to 1) let you know what the features are, 2) let you know the quality of the more expensive radios, 3) educate yourself on the higher lines, and 4) give you a reason to maybe wait a bit to save up and buy the better radio or decide that you can live with something cheaper that doesn’t have all the bells & whistles.
yes absolutely my max budget atm is $130.
basically i am after the best quality for <= $130, the main atractions for radiomaster is, the fact i can use practically any receiver on it, it is opentx so easy cool updates are possibly on the way.... and the main one the functionality for the price, And an on board charging circuit (jumper lost that vote)

whackflyer

Master member
yes absolutely my max budget atm is $130.
basically i am after the best quality for <= $130, the main atractions for radiomaster is, the fact i can use practically any receiver on it, it is opentx so easy cool updates are possibly on the way.... and the main one the functionality for the price, And an on board charging circuit (jumper lost that vote)
My T16 Pro has on-board charging...

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
If it’s only about cost, why even bother with the Radiomaster? There are transmitters that are much cheaper.

Turnigy Radio for under $60.

Of course, the ergonomics are horrible, the range is lousy, it only has 20 model memory, but you can buy 3 of them for less than the price of the Radiomaster.

The point of looking at the more expensive radios is to 1) let you know what the features are, 2) let you know the quality of the more expensive radios, 3) educate yourself on the higher lines, and 4) give you a reason to maybe wait a bit to save up and buy the better radio or decide that you can live with something cheaper that doesn’t have all the bells & whistles.
Since I joined this forum I have never come across so much bias against one particular make of transmitter, it is starting to become annoying now. I have jokingly made remarks in the past about Spektrum products as a wind up and got slaughtered. I have never come across so many narrow minded people in my life.
As a typical young child I would refuse certain foods, because I didn't like the look of them or smell. My father wise man that he was always said, "how will you actually know if you like something or not unless you try it first". "Only then can you truly have an opinion".
I have followed that philosophy through my life and its served me well, I have tasted all sorts of foods, sauces and drinks most I have liked some I hate (like Wasabi :sick:), but at least I can say I have tried them. The same with everything in life I can only form an opinion if I have experience of something, otherwise its just conjecture.
I do not understand why there are so many people averse to Open Tx and particularly Radiomaster transmitters. If you have bought one and used it and had issues then by all means your entitled to an opinion. Otherwise I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself and stop slagging of a product purely because its not one of the well known over priced brands.
I have had experience of Futaba, JR, Spektrum, FRsky and Radiomaster transmitters over the years and my opinion is that for the price Radiomaster transmitters are great value for money and have tremendous functionality. In all the time I have had mine the only issue I have had is a drift in calibration in my hall effect gimbals and the center detent is poor on the sliders. Other than that its a great transmitter, not necessarily ideal for a novice as Open Tx can be a bit tricky to use compared some dedicated protocol transmitters.
That is my last word on the matter.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
2. If cost were no issue, if they all cost the same, which would be your first choice? Seriously, I'd like to know.

if they all cost the same... that would then mean my time cost to design the one I want would fit in that... which would be an openTX system with a multi protocol module, with a custom design to put all the switches/etc at good spots for my hands ;)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Same here if they all cost the same I would still pick the Radiomaster because its ergonomically designed well and fits well in my hands, its comfortable to use, multifunctional and I can program it how I want.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Thanks Monte that was an excellent point, its not about the money its about the functionality of the transmitter and given the choice I would still choose an Open TX radio and more than likely the Radiomaster.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Thanks Monte that was an excellent point, its not about the money its about the functionality of the transmitter and given the choice I would still choose an Open TX radio and more than likely the Radiomaster.
Pity more individuals couldn't come up with constructive points like that rather just criticism.

Pity more individuals couldn't come up with constructive points like that rather just criticism.
You mean about lima beans? Or the other thing? :ROFLMAO:

You don't have to answer that. Anybody who likes lima beans has something wrong with them.

whackflyer

Master member
Since I joined this forum I have never come across so much bias against one particular make of transmitter, it is starting to become annoying now. I have jokingly made remarks in the past about Spektrum products as a wind up and got slaughtered. I have never come across so many narrow minded people in my life.
As a typical young child I would refuse certain foods, because I didn't like the look of them or smell. My father wise man that he was always said, "how will you actually know if you like something or not unless you try it first". "Only then can you truly have an opinion".
I have followed that philosophy through my life and its served me well, I have tasted all sorts of foods, sauces and drinks most I have liked some I hate (like Wasabi :sick:), but at least I can say I have tried them. The same with everything in life I can only form an opinion if I have experience of something, otherwise its just conjecture.
I do not understand why there are so many people averse to Open Tx and particularly Radiomaster transmitters. If you have bought one and used it and had issues then by all means your entitled to an opinion. Otherwise I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself and stop slagging of a product purely because its not one of the well known over priced brands.
I have had experience of Futaba, JR, Spektrum, FRsky and Radiomaster transmitters over the years and my opinion is that for the price Radiomaster transmitters are great value for money and have tremendous functionality. In all the time I have had mine the only issue I have had is a drift in calibration in my hall effect gimbals and the center detent is poor on the sliders. Other than that its a great transmitter, not necessarily ideal for a novice as Open Tx can be a bit tricky to use compared some dedicated protocol transmitters.
That is my last word on the matter.
Well said my fine friend. Definitive support from me.

Bricks

Master member

Funny I did not really see any bashing of the Radiomaster TS16s just people giving opinions and asking questions. I wrote what I have found out playing with my TX16s comparing to my DX9 and yea I had a couple of criticisms so we are not suppose to let others know what we feel may be an issue for some?

Bricks

Master member
ok... my next radio is going to be RadioMaster TX16S....

Congratulations I think you will be happy with the TS16s for me I need to pull the radio apart and unsolder the one momentary switch and move it to the other side as I use right side switch for my throttle cut on all my planes. For me I have had my throttle cut in the same position for ever, so figure it is easier to move the switch.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
2. If cost were no issue, if they all cost the same, which would be your first choice? Seriously, I'd like to know.

If cost were not an issue, I'd build something like this -- most likely around opensource hardware/software parts, so it would be run by OpenTX:

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Because cost, space, and time considerations are a factor for me, I fly model aircraft with a regular TX and get my simulated cockpit experience with a Oculus Quest 2 and MSFS/DCS/Il-2 :D

Last edited:

tomlogan1

Elite member
Any FlySky FS-I6 converts out there? I'm looking at this radio to replace a Flysky FS-I6. What I am wanting to know is how the FlySky protocol on this radio performs versus the FS-I6. For example on the genuine radio setting up differential thrust takes 3 mixes and you cannot turn it off when you are flying. Can you use differential thrust on the Radiomaster but have a switch control it? Really the way Flysky assigns functions to channels vs a switch is causing me to hold till I get that cleared. up.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have not used FlySky, but have done differential thrust on my FT Dart with my RadioMaster TX16S. I set up a switch to disable it, as well as a switch for throttle cut. Something I could not reliably do on my old Spektrum radio as the throttle cut only worked on one channel. I could dump my model settings and share the mixes to do this. It includes Elevon mix too since this is a flying wing.
My mixes:
1633492220464412904495477085238.jpg

Rudder is mixed with the motors on channels 1 and 4 only when switch SG is down.

And my throttle cut:
16334924769696960824419342804468.jpg

If switch SF is down, motors are forced off.

Last edited: