Other Hobbies? (I do airsoft)

flyingkelpie

Elite member
1617012034829.png
I hope? Wrong state but we'll se what can be done about that!

whackflyer

Master member
I really wish I could ride where you are! I'm thinking of getting a suspension bike now that I've outgrew my hardtail in skill. Ouch! 1.3 m huck to flat ain't flow on hardtail!
Awww.... c'mon man :p. If you know what you're doing you can really send it on a hardtail. It's all about line choice and sticking your landings on jumps. A hardtail will actually make you a better rider. If you're jumping a lot full sus would be nice tho. My closest trail doesn't really have much for jumps. It's tight, decently flat singletrack. The fuse I have ordered is 29x2.6s, so it should work fairly well. That particular trail probably would be best ridden on an XC hardtail, but I also ride at a few other places (Wilson Lake, KS) that are pretty hardcore and good agressive hardtail territory.

Last edited:

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Nice pic! Where's that at?
It's at my local trail called Andrew's in Stevens Vill. It's at a college with the same name. It's a really techy trail with 1000ft of climbing as of last year, we are constantly adding to it and it's a fantastic 12mi. If you're ever in the area hit me up and I'll show you around! It's definitely one of the best trails in SW Michigan.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Awww.... c'mon man :p. If you know what you're doing you can really send it on a hardtail. It's all about line choice and sticking your landings on jumps. A hardtail will actually make you a better rider tho. If you're jumping a lot full sus would be nice tho. My closest trail doesn't really have much for jumps. It's tight, decently flat singletrack. The fuse I have ordered is 29x2.6s, so it should work fairly well. That particular trail probably would be best ridden on an XC hardtail, but I also ride at a few other places (Wilson Lake, KS) that are pretty hardcore and good agressive hardtail territory.
110% agree. Up until last year I was riding a Cannondale Trail 2 29er and It was a very capable bike. It got too small for me so I got the s6 stumpy and it fits me perfectly as a guy who's 6'3".

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Awww.... c'mon man :p. If you know what you're doing you can really send it on a hardtail. It's all about line choice and sticking your landings on jumps. A hardtail will actually make you a better rider. If you're jumping a lot full sus would be nice tho. My closest trail doesn't really have much for jumps. It's tight, decently flat singletrack. The fuse I have ordered is 29x2.6s, so it should work fairly well. That particular trail probably would be best ridden on an XC hardtail, but I also ride at a few other places (Wilson Lake, KS) that are pretty hardcore and good agressive hardtail territory.
Basically I screwed the crank arm twice...so I decided it was time for a new bike. I get your point though. My trails don't react nicely to hardtails any day. There's baby heads everywhere plus everything in between meaning a real rough ride. Also geometry wise a hardtail is rather steep and since I live for the descent it can get annoying. More reasons why I wish I lived somewhere like you...then again I would miss the jumps we have. We have a drop which you would have to go stupid fast to make the landing...
1617048312042.png

flyingkelpie

Elite member
110% agree. Up until last year I was riding a Cannondale Trail 2 29er and It was a very capable bike. It got too small for me so I got the s6 stumpy and it fits me perfectly as a guy who's 6'3".
Our trails are rather aggressive and focused on dh/enduro/aggressive trail or else you get boring greenies and blues which have no maintenance whatsoever meaning you might as well go to a fire trail to ride.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Where I live the trails are not super intense, lucky for me. There is a whole trail system/complex I like riding on with some sketchy spots (~40 ft drop to whitewater right by the trail) but for the most part, it's pretty basic. I like this style of riding, but I'm sure with more experience I'm sure I could get into more intense trails.
My go-to trail for a cool Saturday morning:
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/idaho/auger-falls-park-loop

whackflyer

Master member
Basically I screwed the crank arm twice...so I decided it was time for a new bike. I get your point though. My trails don't react nicely to hardtails any day. There's baby heads everywhere plus everything in between meaning a real rough ride. Also geometry wise a hardtail is rather steep and since I live for the descent it can get annoying. More reasons why I wish I lived somewhere like you...then again I would miss the jumps we have. We have a drop which you would have to go stupid fast to make the landing...
View attachment 196512
That's a cool drop. I was looking at the geometry specs of the Giant Reign 2 you posted, the Fuse is actually slacker head angle and almost identical seat tube angle. The Marin we were talking about is actually even more progressive then the Fuse by about a degree on both HT and ST angle.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I just pop up off the saddle a bit and take all the bumps in my legs

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I just pop up off the saddle a bit and take all the bumps in my legs
Sadly with my bike my crankarms are fitted with the square fitting and it likes to strip with anything more than bumpy. This means no drops, and only little jumps. Which even then seem to take their toll. I'm on my second crankarm and needing a third. Plus geometry is steep on an XC so sadly for me my bike doesn't want to jump well. You are very correct until hop on my bike sadly...here is my bike. Took them last week cos I'm now selling it.
TM7-Side on.jpg
TM7-Angled.jpg

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Sadly with my bike my crankarms are fitted with the square fitting and it likes to strip with anything more than bumpy. This means no drops, and only little jumps. Which even then seem to take their toll. I'm on my second crankarm and needing a third. Plus geometry is steep on an XC so sadly for me my bike doesn't want to jump well. You are very correct until hop on my bike sadly...here is my bike. Took them last week cos I'm now selling it. View attachment 196910 View attachment 196909
Get a Stumpy!! They're awesome.
IMG_20201119_113448433_HDR~2.jpg

KubKade

Sadly with my bike my crankarms are fitted with the square fitting and it likes to strip with anything more than bumpy. This means no drops, and only little jumps. Which even then seem to take their toll. I'm on my second crankarm and needing a third. Plus geometry is steep on an XC so sadly for me my bike doesn't want to jump well. You are very correct until hop on my bike sadly...here is my bike. Took them last week cos I'm now selling it. View attachment 196910 View attachment 196909

How much you want for this baby?