Paper Airplanes to RC the Challenge

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
This our attempt at the challenge! We maiden it today after school. First time using elevens. Not sure about motor placement. Still trying to figure out center of gravity. Do you balance plane without electronics first, or with them installed? I balanced with motor and servos, then placed battery in a position to keep it centered.....I hope?
You chuck glide it without the electronics to figure out what the natural CG is, then you start placing the motor and electronics around that, all the while trying to maintain the same balance previously discovered

Wildthing

Legendary member
This our attempt at the challenge! We maiden it today after school. First time using elevens. Not sure about motor placement. Still trying to figure out center of gravity. Do you balance plane without electronics first, or with them installed? I balanced with motor and servos, then placed battery in a position to keep it centered.....I hope?
Final balance is with all gear and battery in the plane ready to fly.

mayan

Legendary member
Generally either or. I did both ways and they both worked. Really depends if you have to have something fixed, like battery size or specific motor.

Man I will have to start this project tonight!
Welcome onboard :).

Screwball

Once weather permits she will be lit up. It could have the look of a meteor entering the atmosphere. :cool::cool::cool:
Yes. There’s that. Or...
It could take off like a rocket (literally in this case), glide like Sonja Henie on winged skates, and land -as the fella says- like a butterfly with sore feet (if butterflies had really slender swept wings that generated vortex lift at a high angle of attack, that is).

Personally, I think it’ll be killer-diller either way...

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yes. There’s that. Or...
It could take off like a rocket (literally in this case), glide like Sonja Henie on winged skates, and land -as the fella says- like a butterfly with sore feet (if butterflies had really slender swept wings that generated vortex lift at a high angle of attack, that is).

Personally, I think it’ll be killer-diller either way...
Somehow I have my doubts about the butterfly part :LOL:

Wildthing

Legendary member

Go to this site and enter your measurements and you will have a very close cg point to start with.

https://rcplanes.online/cg_wing.htm

AirBone

The maiden flight of our paper plane was educational. Too much right thrust angle. Too much throw and not enough expo. It’s back on the bench and we will try again soon. Thanks for all the great information. It is truly appreciated. Also, when we hand toss it, it rolls over to the left? It is balanced on its lateral axis? Elevens are flat even.

Wildthing

Legendary member
The maiden flight of our paper plane was educational. Too much right thrust angle. Too much throw and not enough expo. It’s back on the bench and we will try again soon. Thanks for all the great information. It is truly appreciated. Also, when we hand toss it, it rolls over to the left? It is balanced on its lateral axis? Elevens are flat even.
Check your lateral balnce

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Hey! I had a thought... (and Mr. H- says, "Well... that at least explains the smell.)

I'd hate to see you add ballast if you can avoid it. How much of a pain would it be to move your servos forward and extend the control rods? Get their moments working for you, or at least minimized. Make sense?

Yes it makes sense, but I already have a multi-tool up front that I can move further towards the nose so I should be good.

Screwball

I've finished my airframe, so I thought I'd post a few pictures here, ...just 'cos, I guess. If you want to view an exhaustive (Mr. H- says, "You mean exhausting) write up of how I got to this point, look HERE:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/as-yet-unnamed-rc-paper-airplane-build-log.61856/

Top.jpg
Bottom.jpg

Side.jpg
Airframe.jpg

Motor, prop, and servos are now in hand, but I'm still waiting on the Owl Post to deliver the rest of the electronics. I'm planning to run a Bee Motor 1108 5000kv motor swinging an AVAN 3024 3-blade prop with a choice of 2s or 3s battery, maybe something in the 350-450 mAh range...?

I'm getting no love from eCalc; They don't list my motor or my prop, and I haven't been able to find anything close in the database. Which is a bummer, because I think I'm on the right track, but it would still be nice to run some numbers... I'm wanting to carry the smallest (read: lightest) battery I can, and still get decent flight-times, but I don't fancy shelling out for batteries I won't be able to use (at least not until I get around to modding another Nerf blaster... Hmmm... maybe I'll pick up a couple anyway...). As a point of comparison, the 400% version (see video in earlier post, this thread) takes a 650mAh 3s, but -during lazy flying- barely makes a dent, and she'll crawl around for days up there on an 800mAh 2s.

...but I'm just a monkey throwing darts at a board, so any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated...

DutchRoll

I've finished my airframe, so I thought I'd post a few pictures here, ...just 'cos, I guess. If you want to view an exhaustive (Mr. H- says, "You mean exhausting) write up of how I got to this point, look HERE:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/as-yet-unnamed-rc-paper-airplane-build-log.61856/

View attachment 157471 View attachment 157472

View attachment 157473 View attachment 157474

Motor, prop, and servos are now in hand, but I'm still waiting on the Owl Post to deliver the rest of the electronics. I'm planning to run a Bee Motor 1108 5000kv motor swinging an AVAN 3024 3-blade prop with a choice of 2s or 3s battery, maybe something in the 350-450 mAh range...?

I'm getting no love from eCalc; They don't list my motor or my prop, and I haven't been able to find anything close in the database. Which is a bummer, because I think I'm on the right track, but it would still be nice to run some numbers... I'm wanting to carry the smallest (read: lightest) battery I can, and still get decent flight-times, but I don't fancy shelling out for batteries I won't be able to use (at least not until I get around to modding another Nerf blaster... Hmmm... maybe I'll pick up a couple anyway...). As a point of comparison, the 400% version (see video in earlier post, this thread) takes a 650mAh 3s, but -during lazy flying- barely makes a dent, and she'll crawl around for days up there on an 800mAh 2s.

...but I'm just a monkey throwing darts at a board, so any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated...

Oh - 4 Grams less than mine!