Paper Airplanes to RC the Challenge

Screwball

Oh - 4 Grams less than mine!

Yeah, but she's only gaining weight from here on in. I'll be lucky (and amazed) if the weight doesn't more than double before I'm all-in and ready to fly.

Still... If I can bring her in somewhere around my target weight of 7 1/2 oz. that'll give me a cubic wing loading of 3 (three what? I dunno. Three cubics?) and I may stand a chance at indoor flight; which really is the goal, considering the weather we've been having.

DutchRoll

Yeah, the weather has sucked out here on the Colorado Plains. Not too much snow, but really crappy wind.

Well, after much internal debate, I got the power pod mounted in the center rear. I added an inverted v-tail to give a little directional stability and act as a roll cage for the prop if I crash upside down.

Delta-motor.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I've finished my airframe, so I thought I'd post a few pictures here, ...just 'cos, I guess. If you want to view an exhaustive (Mr. H- says, "You mean exhausting) write up of how I got to this point, look HERE:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/as-yet-unnamed-rc-paper-airplane-build-log.61856/

View attachment 157471 View attachment 157472

View attachment 157473 View attachment 157474

Motor, prop, and servos are now in hand, but I'm still waiting on the Owl Post to deliver the rest of the electronics. I'm planning to run a Bee Motor 1108 5000kv motor swinging an AVAN 3024 3-blade prop with a choice of 2s or 3s battery, maybe something in the 350-450 mAh range...?

I'm getting no love from eCalc; They don't list my motor or my prop, and I haven't been able to find anything close in the database. Which is a bummer, because I think I'm on the right track, but it would still be nice to run some numbers... I'm wanting to carry the smallest (read: lightest) battery I can, and still get decent flight-times, but I don't fancy shelling out for batteries I won't be able to use (at least not until I get around to modding another Nerf blaster... Hmmm... maybe I'll pick up a couple anyway...). As a point of comparison, the 400% version (see video in earlier post, this thread) takes a 650mAh 3s, but -during lazy flying- barely makes a dent, and she'll crawl around for days up there on an 800mAh 2s.

...but I'm just a monkey throwing darts at a board, so any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated...
Dude - I thought it was a legit paper airplane! Wow man - talk about above and beyond. That is awesome!

Screwball

Yeah, the weather has sucked out here on the Colorado Plains. Not too much snow, but really crappy wind.

Well, after much internal debate, I got the power pod mounted in the center rear. I added an inverted v-tail to give a little directional stability and act as a roll cage for the prop if I crash upside down.

View attachment 157689
Oooo... I like that. I mean the new tail, not the weather...

Here on this strange little archipelago just off the East coast of America (the islands of Staten, Manhattan, and Long) there hasn't even been snow -none that stuck around more than a few hours before melting in the rain, anyway. I mean none. Plenty rain, yes. More than plenty wind, to be sure; I almost broke out my stunt kites the other day, just to fly something... but then it started raining.
Again.

I really wouldn't mind so much, except back in November I made a set of snow skis for my hack/mod Das-Tiny-Ugly-Trainer-Stik-PJ Mask-Cat Boy-Franken-Thing plane (Don't ask. The story is even longer than the name.) and I haven't had one chance to try them out! Not one!

If I ever meet that guy Murphy, I'm gonna kick him right in the...

Screwball

Dude - I thought it was a legit paper airplane! Wow man - talk about above and beyond. That is awesome!

Well, heck. Thanks, Man!
Yeah...
I've been known to take my goofing off pretty seriously.

I'm still fiddling with the electrickery, but I'm getting close. After all this, I sure hope she flies. If not, I might just...
I dunno...
laugh my head off at the sheer folly of human existence, and then go build something else...
like I always do.

But looking around here, at least I can take solace in the fact that I'm not the only one.

DAWNSIGHT4

Lets be real here the whole challenge is really supposed to be "Paper rc airplanes" So followed peter sripols video on his rc paper airplane and came up with a v2 of his design. :)
Paper airplane working.jpg

This is a project I started about a month ago, and to improve peters original design, I used a better design than his paper airplane, and then made the foam spar longer. For those who have never seen the original video, this Is made from a tiny micro drone (SYMA x12s) Which i picked up for about 12 bucks. The flight times are roughly around 4 mins which is sweet because something this small literally takes 10 mins to charge. Like the video made from flight test, this thing uses differential thrust to turn, and relies on speed and power with a little up deflection to go upwards. I hope to get a video on this thing soon, minus the little bit of noise it makes, it literally fly's just like a paper airplane.

This is a link to Peter sripols paper airplane for those who want to try this thing out makes for a quick and easy build (1 hour at most)

mayan

Legendary member
Lets be real here the whole challenge is really supposed to be "Paper rc airplanes" So followed peter sripols video on his rc paper airplane and came up with a v2 of his design. :)
View attachment 158068
This is a project I started about a month ago, and to improve peters original design, I used a better design than his paper airplane, and then made the foam spar longer. For those who have never seen the original video, this Is made from a tiny micro drone (SYMA x12s) Which i picked up for about 12 bucks. The flight times are roughly around 4 mins which is sweet because something this small literally takes 10 mins to charge. Like the video made from flight test, this thing uses differential thrust to turn, and relies on speed and power with a little up deflection to go upwards. I hope to get a video on this thing soon, minus the little bit of noise it makes, it literally fly's just like a paper airplane.

This is a link to Peter sripols paper airplane for those who want to try this thing out makes for a quick and easy build (1 hour at most)
Wow! Got a video of yours flying?

DutchRoll

My give up! I some how got the either the thrust angle wrong or the cg wrong, or both actually. It just noses up, and then noses over. After the third crash, I lost the battery in the snow, and that ended that.

Sooooo.... Since I'm such a novice at this, I think finally learned my leason - no more experimental aircraft for me until I actually learn to fly. I'm gonna keep to known designs with known flight characteristics, like the Tiny Trainer and the Bloody Wonder that I'm building for the February build-off.

At least I didn't break the prop!

mayan

Legendary member
My give up! I some how got the either the thrust angle wrong or the cg wrong, or both actually. It just noses up, and then noses over. After the third crash, I lost the battery in the snow, and that ended that.

Sooooo.... Since I'm such a novice at this, I think finally learned my leason - no more experimental aircraft for me until I actually learn to fly. I'm gonna keep to known designs with known flight characteristics, like the Tiny Trainer and the Bloody Wonder that I'm building for the February build-off.

At least I didn't break the prop!
Don't give up, if you want to post the plans of what you have even in a drawing I could take a look for you.

DutchRoll

Don't give up, if you want to post the plans of what you have even in a drawing I could take a look for you.

Oh, I'm not giving up! To far down the rabbit hole for that. No, I just want to get some successful flights under my belts before I try to make some of my other more "adventurous" builds fly. As for plans... Hum... I didn't really have any. When I did up the CG calculations on E-calc based on what I built, it put the CG just 8.92-9.87 inches back from the nose. But when I did the glide tests, I found the CG to be about 14.5 inches back from the nose, and I balanced for that. Plainly wrong some how. I also added +7 degrees up elevator based on my Ugly-EZ with the step airfoil. I think all of that contributed to a pitch up movement that I couldn't control.

One of the limitations of the E-calc program was that it assumes that the panels are parallel to the long axis of the plane. But they're not on mine - the fuselage widens as it goes back, from 2"x1" at the front to 4"x2" at the rear, so the wing spreads slowly as it goes back.

P.S. I did find the battery eventually, sitting upright in a hole in the field.

mayan

Legendary member
Oh, I'm not giving up! To far down the rabbit hole for that. No, I just want to get some successful flights under my belts before I try to make some of my other more "adventurous" builds fly. As for plans... Hum... I didn't really have any. When I did up the CG calculations on E-calc based on what I built, it put the CG just 8.92-9.87 inches back from the nose. But when I did the glide tests, I found the CG to be about 14.5 inches back from the nose, and I balanced for that. Plainly wrong some how. I also added +7 degrees up elevator based on my Ugly-EZ with the step airfoil. I think all of that contributed to a pitch up movement that I couldn't control.

One of the limitations of the E-calc program was that it assumes that the panels are parallel to the long axis of the plane. But they're not on mine - the fuselage widens as it goes back, from 2"x1" at the front to 4"x2" at the rear, so the wing spreads slowly as it goes back.

P.S. I did find the battery eventually, sitting upright in a hole in the field.
I see. We all need some wins sometimes. I had that a while back too :). Happy to hear that you found the battery in the end :).

Screwball

MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO UPLOADED!

After weeks of cold-and-wet we got a break in the weather these last few days to unseasonably warm and WINDY! Finally, the wind died down enough right before sundown yesterday to burn two batteries, and I could not be more pleased with the outcome.

All-up flying weight came in at exactly 7 oz. (198 g) with a 300 mAh 3S battery. 3S is definitely NOT needed (she's just a blur at full-throttle) but she will happily putt-putt along at walking pace at just a bump above dead-stick. In the video, which is a true maiden flight, you'll see she takes a hit pretty well... (did I tell you I was a lousy pilot? I wasn't being modest.)

I have another video (2nd battery) to compile and upload, and on it you can really see the durability of this little airframe. I bashed the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks out of it, and there was literally NO DAMAGE beyond a few little scuffs here and there. Truly hard to kill.

So... I guess if anybody wants 'em, let me know, and I'll edit the first post of my build-log to include a set of plans...

mayan

Legendary member

After weeks of cold-and-wet we got a break in the weather these last few days to unseasonably warm and WINDY! Finally, the wind died down enough right before sundown yesterday to burn two batteries, and I could not be more pleased with the outcome.

All-up flying weight came in at exactly 7 oz. (198 g) with a 300 mAh 3S battery. 3S is definitely NOT needed (she's just a blur at full-throttle) but she will happily putt-putt along at walking pace at just a bump above dead-stick. In the video, which is a true maiden flight, you'll see she takes a hit pretty well... (did I tell you I was a lousy pilot? I wasn't being modest.)

I have another video (2nd battery) to compile and upload, and on it you can really see the durability of this little airframe. I bashed the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks out of it, and there was literally NO DAMAGE beyond a few little scuffs here and there. Truly hard to kill.

So... I guess if anybody wants 'em, let me know, and I'll edit the first post of my build-log to include a set of plans...
Amazing I think you should do a build log and post plans:

Wildthing

Legendary member

That flies really good and it is surprisingly quick.

Screwball

Second Battery video uploaded!

It's hard to believe I crashed five times in seven minutes, and she'd have kept right on going if I'd had another charged battery.

I'm already eyeballing a couple of 2S 650mAh packs (same weight as these 3S packs, but significantly more total wattage, and distinctly better manners) over on Amazon Prime...
...could be just the thing.

Screwball

That flies really good and it is surprisingly quick.
Hey, Thanks! I'd love to see what someone who can actually fly could do with one of these. I'm still way down at the steep end of the learning curve. Yup. She is quick, alright. I can't keep up with full-throttle for more than a few seconds. But check out the Crash Test video (just uploaded) and you'll see what I mean...

Screwball

@Screwball - Awesome stuff indeed - I wonder if the speed is related to the size and weight - if it was bigger using the same power plant it might float more?

I'm smellin' what your steppin' in, brother.*

This plane's cubic wing loading is a ridiculously low 2.9, which puts her in the range of indoor fliers and thermal-catching gliders, so theoretically she IS a floater. I personally can attest to her being in practice** capable of level flight at speeds so slow they approach (what comedian Ron White called) the Speed of Smell. So, we're good on weight/size. My stumbling block is controlling the available power.

The current power configuration generates about 300 g of thrust, which in this case is a (expletive deleted) lot. On the scale, ready-to-fly, she comes in at just under 200 g, so we're looking at a thrust/weight ratio of 1.5:1 (think 3-D, unlimited vertical, screaming jets, etc.) It's an odd couple -the screaming floater- but it can work. If I had a bit more finesse in my left thumb it could work quite well.

Wind gusts will always be the Achilles heel of any lightly-loaded plane, but -given enough reserve power and the skill to use it judiciously- a quick blast on the throttle can go a long way toward smoothing out almost any rough air. Reserve power I got in spades; a lock-picker's touch... not so much (not yet, anyway). Anything over half-throttle on this bird is overkill for my park-flier puttering. This cuts my safe control stick resolution in half, and leaves all kinds of head-room above that for me to wander into trouble REAL quick (as the videos above clearly show).

My near-term training plan is to either program a sensible rev-limiter into my throttle curve, or go with a lower-voltage battery. Either one would produce the same net effect: Keeping me off the highway to the danger-zone, as it were. Your proposed solution would also produce the same net-effect. Increasing the size and weight (while maintaining the lift/weight ratio) and keeping thrust/weight constant would in theory produce the same effect as decreasing the excess thrust inflicted on the current airframe. The major caveat here being that in practice bigger really does fly better (because air molecules don't scale). In that sense your solution... ummm... makes more sense, and explains why my old 4X version is just easier to fly and more forgiving than this new 3X version.

That Reynolds fella sure did know some stuff...

*I picked that phrase up from a young lady I used to run around with, when I was also a young man (which feels like a looooong time ago). I met her in a Karaoke bar, in Kentucky. These facts notwithstanding she was a nice girl. No. Really. She was.

** In Theory, theory and practice are the same. However, I have found that in Practice they are not.