PLA+ Filament Temp ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have used up my sample of PLA that came with my printer (Ender 3V2). I was able to make some sample prints. I was happy with the results from the filament sample that came with the printer. Now I need to move on to the filament that I bought. The filament that I am trying now is eSun PLA+ in green. eSun suggest at temperature for the nozzle 205-225*C and bed temp 60-80*C. Right now I am not getting a good first layer on my sample. The first layer that makes the border that goes around the outside of the samples seems to go down ok but the sample it's self not good. I am printing the cali cat from Thingiverse. I printed cali cat with the sample PLA with no problems. What temperatures do most people use ? Is there any videos out there on getting the best temp for the filament your using ?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’m still learning about 3D printing myself.
Try these suggestions one at a time. I clean the build plate with isopropyl alcohol before each print, the oil from your fingers really messes up the plate. If you still have problems, try releveling the build plate. My build plate will go out of level over time, maybe some vibration is causing the trouble. Try increasing the hot end temp 5 degrees at a time. I’ve been printing on the same roll of filament for about 6 months now. Recently I’ve had trouble with layer adherence. Turning up the temp up has helped tremendously. In the summer when the roll was fresh, the lower end of the temp range worked great. Now I’m at the high end of the range. Maybe my room temp is lower now than in summer, maybe the filament has absorbed moisture, not sure.

Last edited:

alan0043

I’m still learning about 3D printing myself.
Try these suggestions one at a time. I clean the build plate with isopropyl alcohol before each print, the oil from your fingers really messes up the plate. If you still have problems, try releveling the build plate. My build plate will go out of level over time, maybe some vibration is causing the trouble. Try increasing the hot end temp 5 degrees at a time. I’ve been printing on the same roll of filament for about 6 months now. Recently I’ve had trouble with layer adherence. Turning up the temp up has helped tremendously. In the summer when the roll was fresh, the lower end of the temp range worked great. Now I’m at the high end of the range. Maybe my room temp is now lower now than in summer, maybe the filament has absorbed moisture, not sure.

Hey Merv,

Thanks for the tips. I did those tips as you suggested yesterday afternoon with good luck and having the print stick to the bed. I have a new problem now. The cali cat that I printed with the sample of PLA that came with the printer turned out good. Now I went to print with PLA+ from eSun. I started with the temperature of 205*C. The temperature range is 205 to 225*C for PLA+. The print looked like garbage. The layers would not stick to each other. Then I went to 210*C, the same problem. I keep increasing temperature with no luck. I got up to 236*C and made a print that is so so. You can see and feel all of the layers in that print that was printed at 236*C. The print that was made with PLA+ is no were near the quality of the print from PLA. There were no changes to the program. Where should I look into next ?

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....Where should I look into next ?
Partially plugged nozzle?
Bring the nozzle up to temp, stop the print, let the nozzle cool down to about 100 degrees, then pull the filament out. Hopefully the partially cooled filament will pull out the dirt. Cut the end of the filament and put it back in.

alan0043

Hi Merv,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check it out.

Hi Everyone,

A little update. I tried a cold pull on the filament with no luck. So I thought what the heck, let's learn something about the printer. It was suggested the nozzle could have a blockage or partial blockage. So I changed out the bowden tube and also installed a new nozzle. Guess what, we are back printing. I know I didn't need to change the bowden tube but a have several as spares. The nozzle was the real problem.

Thank You Merv for your help. Now I can keep learning about 3D printing. Starting to learn more about the slicer. :)

Last edited:

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I use 210*C and 50*C on my Esun PLA+. I also ALWAYS use “raft” build plate adhesion in cura. Since I started using it not one print has failed since then, saving me tons of filament and time! Before 2 out of every 3 prints failed do to bad adhesion. Now when it’s done I just pull up the raft and then pull the raft off! Works a dream!

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I use 210 and 60 for my Esun Pla+, layer height is .2mm, and I also normally use a raft, or at the very least a brim with two layers just to make sure the filament is adhering well. I have had no issues with the PLA+ at all. What brand machine do you have?

alan0043

I use 210 and 60 for my Esun Pla+, layer height is .2mm, and I also normally use a raft, or at the very least a brim with two layers just to make sure the filament is adhering well. I have had no issues with the PLA+ at all. What brand machine do you have?

I have an Ender 3V2. I have been using eSun PLA + for filament. The colors I have used are dark green and yellow.

Do most people print out a temperature tower ?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I have an Ender 3V2. I have been using eSun PLA + for filament. The colors I have used are dark green and yellow.

Do most people print out a temperature tower ?
Not sure, until now thats the first I have heard of such a thing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. But it seems like something that you probably should do , now that I know I will probably do one for ABS filament, thanks for mentioning this(y)(y)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Just finished off a roll of filament, the last several prints were full of trouble. When I installed a new roll, all my troubles went away.

I’ve been using the roll for 9-10 months, I just left the roll open to the air, on the printer, in my basement. I’m thinking it was moisture, I’m going to come up with some kind of container to hold the filament.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I keep all my filament rolls in 1 gallon ZipLock Freezer bags (fits perfectly) and I include a couple of Desiccant packets that I got on Amazon....
Great idea.
I was thinking along the same line. Why not find a way to enclose the filament while it’s on the printer?

ColoFlyer

Great idea.
Why not find a way to enclose the filament while it’s on the printer?
Because If I put it on the printer, it is printing, once it is done I take it off the printer and bag it. It is really never on the printer long enough for it to be a problem. Even if it is on the printer for a few days it is still fine, but then it goes back in the bag.

Attachments

• 20220118_102054.jpg
    20220118_102054.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 0

ColoFlyer

Impressive setup. I can see I need to start printing a lot more just to keep up.
I have 2 Printers, one is a Sovol SV01 and the other is an Ender 3V2.
It's fun to design parts in Fusion 360, and print the parts for the Flitetest planes.
Lots of learning curves in this hobby, but once you get the hang of it there is no end to the things you can print.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...It's fun to design parts in Fusion 360, and print the parts for the Flitetest planes.
Lots of learning curves in this hobby, but once you get the hang of it there is no end to the things you can print.
Agreed
I’m using depending on what I’m doing, I use SketchUp, TinkerCAD, and Scad. I like some things about each of them, none dose everything well.