Please, give an idea on what plane i should build!!

leaded50

Legendary member
I can just hear this conversation. "Say, wouldn't it be a great idea to make the pilot sit in a 360 degree plexiglass housing, and stick it inside the airspike of our French Ramjet?" Don't worry about good maneuverability with the model...
just overpower the hell out of it with a 90mm and go straight!

View attachment 211518
Leduc versions is possible by a EDF yes. :)

leaded50

Legendary member
I am gonna have to disagree with Leaded on this this one , I'm thinking 50 mm EDF is possible especially after watching this , its kind of a "ok yep I can make that happen" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. If I can find 3 good views of this at scale it will jump up to the next 3 to build list. "Can't be done " is not in the vocabulary.
when checked scale a 50mm edf would give a wingspan on 1200mm aprox, So can be done, but not with scale propotions. With scale propitions, the 50mm edf would be quite underpowered.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
thwe XP-77 aint a bad idea......;):)
Out of foamboard I think it would be absolutely stunning as well as a great flyer. (y)(y). And I just want to say that I follow your work closely even if I don't post a like or comment all the time, your work inspires and gives insight on ways to work with foam board. Love your work my friend. I have printed and cut parts for the Icarus , expect a build thread shortly, I expect to do your plans proud(y)(y)

leaded50

Legendary member
Out of foamboard I think it would be absolutely stunning as well as a great flyer. (y)(y). And I just want to say that I follow your work closely even if I don't post a like or comment all the time, your work inspires and gives insight on ways to work with foam board. Love your work my friend. I have printed and cut parts for the Icarus , expect a build thread shortly, I expect to do your plans proud(y)(y)
Thanks for the "good" words.
the XP-77 was said to be difficult to fly , and chrashed inverted after go into a spin after tried a immelmann test manouver... Well, it should be possible found some info why and possible make a few changes to enshure better flying.

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Thanks for the "good" words.
the XP-77 was said to be difficult to fly , and chrashed inverted after go into a spin after tried a immelmann test manouver... Well, it should be possible found some info why and possible make a few changes to enshure better flying.
I watch the channel Dark Skies on youtube and that is where I discovered this plane, the video may give some insight

leaded50

Legendary member
I watch the channel Dark Skies on youtube and that is where I discovered this plane, the video may give some insight
i got two pdf files on approx 400 sides stored already... not all just for that plane, but :D

Found info on what should be changed recommended by NACA/NASA evaluation that time, changes in tailsurfaces sizes, shapes/placements

will get problems making retracts on it though.... at least by 1:8 scale, wings scale aint thick enough...

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
PS @Ratcheeroo , have you seen the Bell type 3? ( the model the P-39 was coming from) Thats where they used the canopy for the XP-77 from. And that opens at an unusual way.. as a half bowl pivoting on sides.. it goes backwards and down in to the fuselage :)

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
PS @Ratcheeroo , have you seen the Bell type 3? ( the model the P-39 was coming from) Thats where they used the canopy for the XP-77 from. And that opens at an unusual way.. as a half bowl pivoting on sides.. it goes backwards and down in to the fuselage :)

I think you mean Bell X3......."Bell 3" is a helicopter........LOL.

(y)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
i got two pdf files on approx 400 sides stored already... not all just for that plane, but :D

Found info on what should be changed recommended by NACA/NASA evaluation that time, changes in tailsurfaces sizes, shapes/placements

will get problems making retracts on it though.... at least by 1:8 scale, wings scale aint thick enough...
Yeah it has a very skinny wing I will admit

JetCrafts

list

Attachments

• WIN_20211111_17_00_01_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211111_17_00_01_Pro.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
I think you mean Bell X3......."Bell 3" is a helicopter........LOL.

(y)
No, the design was called only Model 3. March 19, 1937 the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC) issued specification X-609 for a new fighter and Bell aircraft created two designs, the Model 3 and Model 4. Both designs were presented to the USAAC and Model 4 was retained for further development, who later got the XP-39 modelname .

by Bell company its possible find drawings, but no pictures on the Model 3..

By Helis, they didnt had any named model 3 either, XV-3 tiltrotor is the closest.. ;)

Attachments

• Bell 3.jpg
    Bell 3.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No, the design was called only Model 3. March 19, 1937 the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC) issued specification X-609 for a new fighter and Bell aircraft created two designs, the Model 3 and Model 4. Both designs were presented to the USAAC and Model 4 was retained for further development, who later got the XP-39 modelname .

by Bell company its possible find drawings, but no pictures on the Model 3..
Oh wow. For a second I thought that was THIS picture.

!!389205_18414250c952e24e0b29b8eaca65453f.jpg !!.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
Oh wow. For a second I thought that was THIS picture.

View attachment 211534 View attachment 211535
Bigger than the XP-77, and not made of "wood". Ive had the Bell drawings from the side of it for some time, and even got a 3D view scetch found in a book, by a guy in a forum( book "Bell Aircraft Since 1935" by Alain J. Pelletier (Putnam Aeronautical Books, 1992) gives some information, known specification and 2 drawings of the Bell Model 3 )
. Im unsure if should say i like it... the XP-77 have some lines that feel better, i think.....?

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
well... seems like the XP-77 gonna be buildt some time. ;) approx 1047mm at 1:8 scale wingspan. With working canopy of course :LOL: