Pranks

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Back when the TSA was first formed a friend of mine got in serious trouble from a prank. His buddy set up a boot file when his lap top was turned on the count down timer from when tv stations went off the air played and a booming computer voice comes on "SELF DESTRUCT IN" and counts down the 30 second timer. Tapping space bypassed that and gave access to login for the computer.

Well he flys all over the world doing network stuff for big corporations.. So the first time he went thru a TSA inspection they made him boot his lap top and that popped up. Needless to say TSA was NOT happy and that took a while to get sorted out. What was funny had it happened at home or the office was DEFINETLY not funny at the air port shortly after 9/11.

With all his travel he is probably still on the watch list because of that hehe.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
The best prank I ever pulled was in the 10th grade when I figured out how the intercom system at my school worked. Through a friend who broadcast announcements in the morning we figured out that it was basically a closed-circuit telephone line, local to the school only, that had been modernized a little in this millennia with a computer to control which announcements went to which room. Didn't even use VoIP or anything. Originally it used an operating room not dissimilar to how old phone lines worked (the school was built in the 1920s) We came to the conclusion that there were some rooms in the school that for whatever reason would only go to other rooms while others would by default go to every room in the school. An example of this was most rooms could only talk to the main office while by default the main office was broadcast to every room. I think the main office had some sort of selector to talk to certain rooms at once but for the prank understanding this part was not really necessary.

Eventually we figured out there were some unused rooms in the school that had the intercom system installed but the speakers and microphones removed and by default for some reason these were treated exactly like the main office! Some juryrigging enabled us to connect a computer (they had plugs in the walls like what you would connect a land line to, it was an alternative to having to use the microphone installed in the ceiling) and we tested it a few times outside school hours with short test tones and the like. The best we ever did during school hours was bombarding everyone with this for several glorious minutes. Those in the know thought it was funny as hell. The school must have figured out someone was screwing with it because next year all the phone outlets in the unused rooms had been replaced with metal plates. lol

The computers in the school were a whole other mess. I used a workaround to the security (using task manager of all things!) to overclock the GPU with the goal of being able to make GTA somewhat playable (the computers sucked from the get go, I don't know why I thought I could do that without melting the GPU) This led to rather interesting conversations with the computer maintenance department when I could no longer get it to boot. :ROFLMAO:

Timmy

Legendary member
The best prank I ever pulled was in the 10th grade when I figured out how the intercom system at my school worked. Through a friend who broadcast announcements in the morning we figured out that it was basically a closed-circuit telephone line, local to the school only, that had been modernized a little in this millennia with a computer to control which announcements went to which room. Didn't even use VoIP or anything. Originally it used an operating room not dissimilar to how old phone lines worked (the school was built in the 1920s) We came to the conclusion that there were some rooms in the school that for whatever reason would only go to other rooms while others would by default go to every room in the school. An example of this was most rooms could only talk to the main office while by default the main office was broadcast to every room. I think the main office had some sort of selector to talk to certain rooms at once but for the prank understanding this part was not really necessary.

Eventually we figured out there were some unused rooms in the school that had the intercom system installed but the speakers and microphones removed and by default for some reason these were treated exactly like the main office! Some juryrigging enabled us to connect a computer (they had plugs in the walls like what you would connect a land line to, it was an alternative to having to use the microphone installed in the ceiling) and we tested it a few times outside school hours with short test tones and the like. The best we ever did during school hours was bombarding everyone with this for several glorious minutes. Those in the know thought it was funny as hell. The school must have figured out someone was screwing with it because next year all the phone outlets in the unused rooms had been replaced with metal plates. lol

The computers in the school were a whole other mess. I used a workaround to the security (using task manager of all things!) to overclock the GPU with the goal of being able to make GTA somewhat playable (the computers sucked from the get go, I don't know why I thought I could do that without melting the GPU) This led to rather interesting conversations with the computer maintenance department when I could no longer get it to boot. :ROFLMAO:
That story makes me happy.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
If a prank happens and no one is around to laugh at it did it really happen?
Well then that's not a prank. Usually pranks are slightly mean things that are funny to everybody, but if nobody is there to laugh, it's just a slightly mean thing.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
This reminds me about the time in 7th grade where I was at some spring social thing at school with my friends. I asked a friend some questions and after that he asked "why did you ask?" I didn't want to tell him and after a while he started chasing me around to find out why. It soon turned into him hunting for me around the school. It was me and one friend against him and the rest of my friends (including my two best friends) and they were looking for us. In the beginning my friend and I (the guy I was with) went up to the school field, which is raised higher up and kinda separated from the actual school. From there we decided to play around with the other guys. We texted the guy looking for me with this:
"If you want to find me go jump in the dumpsters for 20 minutes. Once you jump out we will be there" or something like that. From the field we could see the dumpsters and after a couple minutes saw two of those guys sprinting in that direction lol. We didn't think they would fall for it but that was amazing.
On the same day we also hid behind a shed in the corner of the upper field and took a video of those guys walking up to the field and then leaving. After they left we sent them the video...
We messed around with the guys looking for us a lot that day. We watched them from the bushes and texted them with their exact positions to freak them out. We were hiding and saw two guys enter the gym. We texted them "we aren't in the gym" and just watched from hundreds of feet away lol.

tesseract

Master member
Ohh you younguns... really need ta read more hehe. That quote is a philosophy thing. "If a tree falls in the woods and no one sees it does it make a sound." is the actual quote :LOL:
Well if you misspell it like that then it does, because it can be heard by a blind person who can't see it.
Proof that I read more than YOU! :ROFLMAO:

Phin G

Elite member
Ohh you younguns... really need ta read more hehe. That quote is a philosophy thing. "If a tree falls in the woods and no one sees it does it make a sound." is the actual quote :LOL:
Isnt that from dear Evan hansen. Well not were the quote originated from but they had it in a song. I only know this since i played Evan hansen at my theatre group