Printing up large plans... (Kraken)

Deanwvu

So,

I've looked into getting the Kraken plans printed out in a large format. The cost is prohibitively expensive in most cases, and just expensive in one...

A few of the quotes from printers near me were in the $200 range. One was $35, which I still consider too expensive...

So, how do you guys get these things printed out?

The cheapest option is for me to print out all 64 pages here at home, but I dread the idea of having to line up and tape all those pages....

muidaq

Just print and tape while listening to the guys gab on the podcast. This is diy afterall. It wasn't too bad.

Team_Monkey

Dean, Where did you get a quote? Did you ask for color or B&W? I just checked it on our printer software and it would only be (4) E size (36" x 48") sheets. I wouldn't think that would cost too much. Sorry I can't print for others, it's my office printer. :(

Of course, we all have a definition of too much don't we? I'd gladly trade $30-$40 against the hours it would take to do that job on letter sheets.

I am currently in the process of taping the plans together.

Difficult - not really once you get the technique down.

time consuming - yes.

But here is the thing for me - When I'm flying at the field and someone asks about the plane, I want to say I did it all from just downloading plans on the web. It gets that "REALLY!!?!??!" reaction I love, and makes it seem very reasonable to get into for someone new.

If I say "I downloaded plans, had a company print them at a large format printer for $XX (even if cheap), and then built it" it adds another layer that even though small - cuts into that "I COULD DO THAT TOO!" factor.

I also have a phone number (a google voice number) to offer( if i'm comfortable with it) that they can reach me at for tips or questions.

Plus I really like the satisfaction I get from doing it from tiled plans when I've seen complaints before that its "impossible" or not realistic having to be addressed from the FT Crew.

amtpdb1

I guess I am lucky. I work in construction and a few years back I bought a used 36" plotter and print everything up for myself. 150' roll costs me 30.00 and the ink is alot but it does not use that much. I guess I forgot how much it costs!

xXterryXx

I used adobe to print out in poster format with cut marks. Works ok, but is there a better program I can use to print in poster format that is more accurate than Adobe Reader. When I printed the lines didn't exactly match up. Or is there print settings in adobe reader that i'm not seeing? From what I seen, there isn't very many settings for print options in adobe reader.

thanx,
terry

Shane

Call around to the office depots and office max stores in your area and ask for architectural plans or technical drawings. The inkjet prints are expensive but the color is nice, but you don't really need color as much as a cheap large format print. I used to work in a print shop that would copy/print architectural plans (32x46 max) for $1 per sheet, but it was on an old kyocera toner printer. I loved that machine, but I find it difficult to find shops that still have those around.

edit: ok, I should have done a bit of research before posting this. I just called around and couldn't find anybody that still did B/W large format prints, so that might be a thing of the past unless you can find a copy shop that does plans printing. I did just upload the plans to the FT Delta to this website - http://www.theplanprinter.com/ and the final price would be $2.00. I think I'm going to download a whole bunch of swappable plans and send to this website to print so that shipping per print doesn't kill me.

Last edited:

airhawk

Crashing Ace
delay :(

bad news i think that the kraken is delayed so its beter you get plans now cuase i dont think it going to be out for a while

Deanwvu

All, thank you for the ideas and comments. I haven't been here in a while :)

Shane, your idea looks like it is the most economical (theplanprinter.com). The quotes around here were crazy.

I "gave up" and decided to print out the 64 8x11 pages here at home. It's a bit time consuming, but not too bad. My biggest worry was that I would not align the pages well when I applied the tape, which would give me less-than-straight lines on the assembled pattern. I use a metal straight edge when I do the cuts, so I know my cut is straight. Then, I realized that this is not NASA, and my Kraken doesn't have to be true down to 0.001 mm :)

I have more than half of the craft cut out already. Should have the rest done by this weekend, and then it's hot glue time!

All, thank you for the ideas and comments. I haven't been here in a while :)

Shane, your idea looks like it is the most economical (theplanprinter.com). The quotes around here were crazy.

I "gave up" and decided to print out the 64 8x11 pages here at home. It's a bit time consuming, but not too bad. My biggest worry was that I would not align the pages well when I applied the tape, which would give me less-than-straight lines on the assembled pattern. I use a metal straight edge when I do the cuts, so I know my cut is straight. Then, I realized that this is not NASA, and my Kraken doesn't have to be true down to 0.001 mm :)

I have more than half of the craft cut out already. Should have the rest done by this weekend, and then it's hot glue time!

I just finished mine last week - it is so awesome. Same thing - taped all 64 pages together. Took my time and it came out great.

Shane

Yeah, I ended up uploading a whole bunch of files to print, but then the ordering process is really confusing so I never followed through with it. I am still waiting on the rest of my electronics for my first build (FT Flyer), so I'm not chomping at the bit to build another just yet. But their customer service was great, they replied to my email immediately, I'll definitely be ordering prints form them when I start working on my Storch in the next month or so.

Deanwvu

Also, what channel did you wire your second motor to? I assume you hook one up to the throttle channel and the 2nd to another channel, and then slave them to each other as well as to their corresponding rudder??

Also, what channel did you wire your second motor to? I assume you hook one up to the throttle channel and the 2nd to another channel, and then slave them to each other as well as to their corresponding rudder??

I followed this tutorial : http://parkflysac.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1775&p=13292#p13292

In short -
Mix1 is THR > RUD (always on)
Mix2 is RUD > THR (always on)
Mix3 is AUX3 > RUD (Controlled by the same switch as your throttle cut, allows you to fully cut throttle even with rudder input)

1st motor in THR on RX, 2nd motor in RUD channel.

You COULD just Y-Cable the THR channel if your transmitter doesn't support the mixing. But then you lose all differential thrust / rudder control. Then it would truly be a giant Versa

Deanwvu

Looks like the DX6i is not capable of doing this mix. At least, not like it "should" be done. I can slave one motor to the rudder in such a way that one motor will always run the speed that the throttle channel outputs, while the other motor will speed up or slow down according to rudder input.

That will do for now. Looks like I'll be pushing for that Taranis from my wife for xmas :)

Looks like the DX6i is not capable of doing this mix. At least, not like it "should" be done. I can slave one motor to the rudder in such a way that one motor will always run the speed that the throttle channel outputs, while the other motor will speed up or slow down according to rudder input.

That will do for now. Looks like I'll be pushing for that Taranis from my wife for xmas :)

The DX6i can do it, you just need an external V tail mixer.

Deanwvu

About $18 shipped on Amazon...

Or for $30 plus shipping I can get a Openpilot control board that will do the mixing for me, and give me more flight mode options...

Or I can just buy a Taranis and be done with it :)

About $18 shipped on Amazon...

Or for $30 plus shipping I can get a Openpilot control board that will do the mixing for me, and give me more flight mode options...

Or I can just buy a Taranis and be done with it :)

I'd upgrade your transmitter...... I mean because reasons.......... :)