Project and Intro

ohiojax2

Hello,
First off I would like to introduce myself. I am Jaxon, I live in Ohio and I have experience with drones but, I am new to building my own aircraft. I plan on designing and building one in the near future. I take several college classes even though I am a Junior in High School. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Professional, a DJI Phantom 4, and the new "Lily Next Gen Drone." Also, I just recently crashed the lily because you control the drone through a phone app. The app malfunctioned and it flew into a tree and damaged the landing gears mainly and cracked the camera lens. With that out of the way, I have a glider project for college.

I am not sure where to post this in so I am going to include it into my introduction. I have to build a glider that has a maximum wing span of 5 feet. I can use servos but we are planning on flying it in my college's atrium. If I get my glider to fly past a certain post (about 70 feet), I do not have to write the final paper for the project and I do not have to do the exam for this class. If you have any ideas on design, throwing technique or where I can post the glider portion of this post, it will help a lot. Thanks in advanced and I hope I can make an airplane before flite-fest east this year!

Thanks again,
Jaxon

Crow929

Welcome, Jaxon!
Where abouts in Ohio do you live?

When it comes to challenges like this, I always look for the loopholes. I can hand launch a glider 70' pretty easily with no servos needed... the glider is called a baseball.

I hope others have better suggestions than that!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sounds reasonably easy if you build a DLG, (discus launch glider).

Just do not make it too light or it will not penetrate very well and height and distance could be adversely effected.

Just need to learn how to discuss launch and get the release correct.

Have fun!

ohiojax2

Welcome, Jaxon!
Where abouts in Ohio do you live?

When it comes to challenges like this, I always look for the loopholes. I can hand launch a glider 70' pretty easily with no servos needed... the glider is called a baseball.

I hope others have better suggestions than that!

I live 45-1hr south of Toledo.
I have been trying to look for loopholes also!
Hopefully it will work out.
Thanks

ohiojax2

Sounds reasonably easy if you build a DLG, (discus launch glider).

Just do not make it too light or it will not penetrate very well and height and distance could be adversely effected.

Just need to learn how to discuss launch and get the release correct.

Have fun!

I’m going to have the COG about one inch in from the wing. With past research it seems like that is the sweet spot. Thanks for your advice!