Quadcopter configuration

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
i did not even consider the esc amp. i bought some of the 45c battery's. but my battery's have sat for a few months so i may have to buy some new ones. so that explains why most are using the 20amp esc especially since they are so small now.
then you do not have to worry about your rating as much on a mini.

Remember the rating on an ESC isn't how much it will pull from a pack. It's how much it can reliably pull without burning itself up.

The ESC doesn't limit anything. You can pull 25 amps on a 12amp ESC...but you'll burn up the ESC doing it unless that ESC is really really underrated :D

Just like putting a 30amp ESC on your build doesn't mean you'll be giving your motors 30A. Just means the ESC can deliver up to 30amp continuously and reliably.

The power draw is determined by your motors/props. Put on bigger props and you'll see a higher amp draw.

Putting on too small of an ESC will generally just burn up ESC's it won't limit the power delivered to your motors. Putting on a larger than necessary ESC will hurt efficiency since they're bigger and heavier and don't give you any benefit.

And FWIW ESC ratings a pretty hit or miss. I've had a red brick 25amp ESC let out the magic smoke at less than 20amp of continuous draw. And I've had some cheapie 20amp ESC's do well over 20amp for sustained periods. Just depends on the manufacturer and how honest they are.

That's one of the big reasons people were blowing up 18amp KISS ESC's. When Felix rated them at 18amp he meant 18amp - that was the LIMIT for what they could handle and why he called them 18 amp and not 20amp. But a lot of people are used to ESC ratings being wishy washy and under reported so they pushed them past 18amp and were upset that they were burning up. It's not that the 18amp KISS were underperforming, it's just that they were only performing to their rating and people expected them to have more overhead above and beyond that rating.

tneun

Nicolas
I just ment what brand batteries you guys use, because my zippy battery had some problems the last time.

jipp

im just using turnigy,nanos. i think what you will find out is everyone has there own preference.. some have had issues with the battery's iv had zero issues with.. so they switch to a different brand..

chris.

jipp

Remember the rating on an ESC isn't how much it will pull from a pack. It's how much it can reliably pull without burning itself up.

The ESC doesn't limit anything. You can pull 25 amps on a 12amp ESC...but you'll burn up the ESC doing it unless that ESC is really really underrated :D

Just like putting a 30amp ESC on your build doesn't mean you'll be giving your motors 30A. Just means the ESC can deliver up to 30amp continuously and reliably.

The power draw is determined by your motors/props. Put on bigger props and you'll see a higher amp draw.

Putting on too small of an ESC will generally just burn up ESC's it won't limit the power delivered to your motors. Putting on a larger than necessary ESC will hurt efficiency since they're bigger and heavier and don't give you any benefit.

And FWIW ESC ratings a pretty hit or miss. I've had a red brick 25amp ESC let out the magic smoke at less than 20amp of continuous draw. And I've had some cheapie 20amp ESC's do well over 20amp for sustained periods. Just depends on the manufacturer and how honest they are.

That's one of the big reasons people were blowing up 18amp KISS ESC's. When Felix rated them at 18amp he meant 18amp - that was the LIMIT for what they could handle and why he called them 18 amp and not 20amp. But a lot of people are used to ESC ratings being wishy washy and under reported so they pushed them past 18amp and were upset that they were burning up. It's not that the 18amp KISS were underperforming, it's just that they were only performing to their rating and people expected them to have more overhead above and beyond that rating.

thanks james. yeah i did not think of it that way.. and it would explain one of the kiss issues people were having.

yeah right now i just know the frame size, and the battery i want to go with..

the motors im probably gonna use are
pancake style something like: 4006 620KV and maybe 12" props. i do not want to go to big on props..

chris.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
As for brand you may as well ask which God to worship :)

I've had mixed results with zippy's. They start out great, but seem to loose their C rating fast. For the price they're tough to beat...but if you need the higher C don't plan on them lasting long. The plain blue Turnigy's on the other hand I've had very good luck with and despite quite a bit of abuse have some that are almost 3 years old and still doing great, only problem is they don't come in higher C ratings so they only work on some of my aircraft. The nanotechs I'm done with. When they work they work well, but I've had too many loose a cell after just 3-4 gentle cycles while still breaking them in :(

I have a couple of 45C tattu's I picked up recently and they've been doing pretty well. I've only been flying them a month or two but so far they've performed quite well. My only complaint is that I drain them faster since with the higher C rating I push them harder in flight :D So I'm getting shorter flights with them...but more intense flights which is kind of why I bought them ;)