Quadcopters? How hard can it be?

trey

You should be getting more then 1 min battery life mate. Depending on batteries you have should be between 2 and 4+ minutes. what batteries are you using? Even ripping my big 5s quads on full throttle runs I pull 1:30 actual air time and over 2 min total on time and that's coming down conservatively since I am romping on the packs.
300mah 1s. It came with four, so I'm using those before ordering more. It might be longer than a minute, but no more than two minutes. Maybe I should time it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
300mah 1s. It came with four, so I'm using those before ordering more. It might be longer than a minute, but no more than two minutes. Maybe I should time it.

2 sounds more realistic. I know early on those tiny buggers had some weak sauce connectors that were having problems passing current and those would get the 30 second to one minute times. Its like anything else though the more fun you have doing something the faster time moves.

trey

2 sounds more realistic. I know early on those tiny buggers had some weak sauce connectors that were having problems passing current and those would get the 30 second to one minute times. Its like anything else though the more fun you have doing something the faster time moves.
You were correct. I timed it today and got nearly four minutes. I was mid throttle most of the time, trying to learn to keep it in one spot. I'm not practicing with the goggles. I'm not sure if I should be using them often, or if it matters.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You were correct. I timed it today and got nearly four minutes. I was mid throttle most of the time, trying to learn to keep it in one spot. I'm not practicing with the goggles. I'm not sure if I should be using them often, or if it matters.

Get under the hood mate. LOS is good for getting a feel and reflexes. FPV is more fun and once you get over that shyness to pop it up in the air its easier then LOS I think.

trey

Well, I've had no time to practice this week at all, and it's Thursday already! Between work and a kitchen remodel, I just haven't had time. Also, we have a dog that can apparently here these things from miles away, and is scared. Figures.

I think I have a pretty open weekend, so I'm hoping to get a lot of flight time in.

Piotrsko

Master member
The prop tips on most quads are supersonic and pretty noisy above 22khz. Poor dog, you have this insanely noisy super bug thing flying around you.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well, I've had no time to practice this week at all, and it's Thursday already! Between work and a kitchen remodel, I just haven't had time. Also, we have a dog that can apparently here these things from miles away, and is scared. Figures.

I think I have a pretty open weekend, so I'm hoping to get a lot of flight time in.

Props shouldn't be bothering the dog. the only time props should scream is on super high KV punch outs. If they are noisy at mid throttle just cruising around then they are spinning flat. What brand and size props you use? I bough some cheapie Raycorp props once.. They would spin flat at less then 50% throttle and scream like a banshee because they were already super sonic. I still get that a little when using 5.4.3 HQ props above 75%. That's why I use the heavier Dal Cyclones. They have a MUCH smoother throttle response across the full range. Not like other big name props the "Pro" pilots use that have sweet spots in the power range they tune to.

trey

Props shouldn't be bothering the dog. the only time props should scream is on super high KV punch outs. If they are noisy at mid throttle just cruising around then they are spinning flat. What brand and size props you use? I bough some cheapie Raycorp props once.. They would spin flat at less then 50% throttle and scream like a banshee because they were already super sonic. I still get that a little when using 5.4.3 HQ props above 75%. That's why I use the heavier Dal Cyclones. They have a MUCH smoother throttle response across the full range. Not like other big name props the "Pro" pilots use that have sweet spots in the power range they tune to.
I'm using the props that came with the Mobula6. The dog is just a pup, so she is currently in the "scared of everything" phase. She'll possibly get over it. I might just start practicing in the garage until winter hits.

trey

@PsyBorg What do you think about learning in angle vs acro? I've been spending all my time on angle, but have read recommendations of just going straight to acro?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Dont waste time with angle at all. Its brutish and not adaptable. Flying acro is always best of you plan to do freestyle or race. even for photography it helps as you will be able to control your craft in bad situations.

If you are into photography or need to use assisted modes use horizon mode which is the same as angle only you cant lower settings so its not so brutal and transitions smoothly. Look at the link I dropped for the OB 1 there's a section in there about that and how to tone it down.

trey

Dont waste time with angle at all. Its brutish and not adaptable. Flying acro is always best of you plan to do freestyle or race. even for photography it helps as you will be able to control your craft in bad situations.

If you are into photography or need to use assisted modes use horizon mode which is the same as angle only you cant lower settings so its not so brutal and transitions smoothly. Look at the link I dropped for the OB 1 there's a section in there about that and how to tone it down.
Sounds good. Thanks. I've been using simulators a lot more this weekend, and I'm making progress. Also, instead of using thumbs, I'm using index/thumb, and that's a huge improvement.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The ESC PWM frequency can also have an effect on the audible sounds that come from a brushless motor. Some of the older ESCs in particular that use lower frequency pulses to drive the motor windings drive my ears absolutely bat :poop: because they resonate and amplify the tinitis frequency in my ears. These PWM overtones can also find resonances in the different lengths and materials in the frames, props, and just about any other piece of the drone/plane. Some of the newer ESCs use 24, 32, 48, and even Higher khz refresh rates that we mere humans may not hearz but may drive dog ears batty. So it is very plausible that if a dog goes nuts, there may be sounds being emmitted that bother it.

My wife and son on the other hand are bothered by the startup tones, and any other sound that comes out of everything I fly. LOL! I think my wife is also jealous of the woman in my transmitter that talks to me.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds good. Thanks. I've been using simulators a lot more this weekend, and I'm making progress. Also, instead of using thumbs, I'm using index/thumb, and that's a huge improvement.

I fly pinch method too and it helps a ton. I even modded my sticks using metal dart bodies as extensions.

trey

After spending a lot of time on the simulator, I went to the park today and flew. As usual, I was apprehensive and nervous. I flew around in angle for a minute or two, but then switched to acro. I felt a lot more confident. I'm actually pretty happy. I was ripping around hard enough to make my stomach hurt a little. I had a lot of fun though

trey

Christmas is coming soon, and I'm thinking about what to get myself. I'm considering going up to a 5". I've been looking at the iFlight Nazgul Evoque. Any reason to not get a 5"?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It all depends on what side of the laws you wish to reside as the new oppressions creep in. If you plan on registering, joining into a CBO, being bound to fly only sanctioned fields, have you AND your gear tracked by expensive methods and subscriptions then no there is no reason not to get a 5 inch build.

If you are against all the grubment regulation yet still want to fly I suggest buying or building a sub 250g three inch 4s quad. I have had as much fun or more with the 3 inch builds as I do the 5 inch. They may not have the same top end but they still rip well enough to keep the inner speed demons happy. Besides they can go places a 5 inch cant like IN trees instead of around trees.

trey

It all depends on what side of the laws you wish to reside as the new oppressions creep in. If you plan on registering, joining into a CBO, being bound to fly only sanctioned fields, have you AND your gear tracked by expensive methods and subscriptions then no there is no reason not to get a 5 inch build.

If you are against all the grubment regulation yet still want to fly I suggest buying or building a sub 250g three inch 4s quad. I have had as much fun or more with the 3 inch builds as I do the 5 inch. They may not have the same top end but they still rip well enough to keep the inner speed demons happy. Besides they can go places a 5 inch cant like IN trees instead of around trees.

Excellent point. I'm not completely up on the new poo on the horizon.

Would this be a good time to consider the Oberon OB-1? I'd probably come out cheaper than a 5".

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Excellent point. I'm not completely up on the new poo on the horizon.

Would this be a good time to consider the Oberon OB-1? I'd probably come out cheaper than a 5".

Yes but you would have to substitute some of the components for similar ones as I have been told some of those specific parts are no longer available. Not to mention the OB 1 is much lighter and will take far less damage then a 5 inch even at full throttle. The parts I used on that came from Racedayquads and totaled less then $230 including the super glue and paints I used on the frame.

trey

Yes but you would have to substitute some of the components for similar ones as I have been told some of those specific parts are no longer available. Not to mention the OB 1 is much lighter and will take far less damage then a 5 inch even at full throttle. The parts I used on that came from Racedayquads and totaled less then $230 including the super glue and paints I used on the frame.
Using your build as a guide, I came up with this. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 0