Quadcopters? How hard can it be?

trey

I've been watching a lot of quadcopter and FPV videos lately, and I'm pretty interested in trying it. I've flown planes off and on for about 20 years, and briefly tried a helicopter for about 15 seconds. How hard is it to learn a quadcopter?

I downloaded a drone racing game on Xbox, and it's hard. If I turn all the assists on, it's not as hard, and I can do it without crashing, but no assists, whoa.

quorneng

Master member
Get 'good' quad copter and you don't really have to a thing. It will hover directly over the take off point regardless of the wind and will do so until you tell it to land. Impressive but not exactly flying.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
one thing, the xbox controller sucks for flying a drone without any assists as you don't have the fine control on the throttle (and ability to be not centered without fighting the springs). That said, it can take a while to get good at flying in acro/rate mode - which is probably what your 'no assists' is like. I started with a whoop, so I started in angle mode and it took me 10? batteries [maybe more as I had flown a toy class multi rotor before that] before I wasn't slamming into the ceiling or floor while flying.

I had flown plans LOS and FPV before I got my 4" LR quad, so rate mode wasn't to bad to get used to, but the significantly different aerodynamics from a plane means I am still getting a feeling for it 10 batteries in on the LR quad.

a quadcopter in acro/rate mode will fly similar to that helicopter you tried.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
It is awesome. Within 3 batteries I was slowly flying around in stable mode. I now (3 months later) am doing great. I fly angle mode and have a TON of fun.

Phin G

Elite member
I've been watching a lot of quadcopter and FPV videos lately, and I'm pretty interested in trying it. I've flown planes off and on for about 20 years, and briefly tried a helicopter for about 15 seconds. How hard is it to learn a quadcopter?

I downloaded a drone racing game on Xbox, and it's hard. If I turn all the assists on, it's not as hard, and I can do it without crashing, but no assists, whoa.
Im guessing it is the drl sim. I have used that sim for 2 years and i am sufficient at flying fpv, it came naturally to me however I have a history of rc. I would say go to the freestyle maps and chose gates of hell freestyle, it is the map I learnt on. The drone i use is the HD1 as it is responsive. Take off and try to hover then nudge the right stick forwards a little bit. You should go forward at a steady pace, if you put to much movement on the right stick you will end up flipping the quad. Try doing that until you get the hang of it and the search up how to turn a quad. This should get you to a good level of flying, this should take 2 days to master, about 2 hours of flying time. This is all done on the hardest difficulty. Hope this helps
Phin

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Get 'good' quad copter and you don't really have to a thing. It will hover directly over the take off point regardless of the wind and will do so until you tell it to land. Impressive but not exactly flying.

Your talking about automated DJI style quads. Seems everyone else is talking about REAL quads. In either case skill needs to be learned to be able to fly both on good and bad days as every one of em will have an issue at some point where auto level or return to home fails.

@trey Just like any other thing in this world it takes time and repetitive practice to learn how to do things. Unlike a plane you cant throw a quad in the air and bang sticks around until you figure what works and what doesn't.

Start your practice in the sim or live with a real quad line of sight with NO assists on. Do this twice a day in short sessions. Doing it too long reinforces bad habits. You can be getting into a stable hover with no assist in about a week and using further steps as you progress you can be "Cruise level" flying in two to three weeks. If you can video your progress so you can see what you do and what you need to work on most.

1. Using only the right stick (mode 2) slowly push the stick in a direction just until the quad starts to lift the opposite side off the ground. USE NO THROTTLE to do this. You should be able to with minimal practice get the quad to tilt up in two corners and set back down without ever leaving the ground. Once you can do this with ease on all four sides move on to step two.

2. This time using throttle only you want to slowly raise the throttle until you see the quad start to get "Light" you will notice this as it may want to slide around on the ground in the sim or even in real life on hard flat surfaces. Once you can do this every time with ease then you can start grouping step 1 and 2 into 5 minute practice exercises.

3. Now that you have that soft touch and are not ham fisted like a new pilot its time to lift off the ground. Throttle up like in step 2 but then bring the throttle up enough to get the quad just a few inches off the ground. Don't try to hold it there. The key here is easy up and easy back down don't worry about a little drift. That WILL happen as its in ground effect at this point. Once you can do this again add it into your previous practice session.

4. Next is actual hovering. use step 2 to get the quad light. Step 3 to get off the ground but slowly add more throttle until it gets about waist high and no higher then chin level. You don't want to look at the bottom of the quad just yet. Again its going to drift a little but you can work at keeping it in a small area with the right stick using soft slow controlled changes. The idea here is not to hover in one spot just yet but to get it up to waist high count to 5 and slowly set it back down. Once you can do this with ease in 5 second time periods go to 10 seconds. Then to 15. by that time you should be able to get it in the air. Control the height between waist and eye level and stay within a 10 foot circle. It actually helps to make a string circle (make sure its held down good so if you get close it cant get tangled in your props). Once you cna do this in 30 second stages its time to go to the next step.

5. Stable hover. The only difference between this and step 4 is you want to close the circle to about 5 or 6 feet and hover as long as you can without leaving that circle. If you leave it land the quad. Take a short break (this is important to not do back to back) and start again. Don't do this more then 5 or 6 times in a row as you will be unlearning from tension and frustration everything you worked up to.

IF you stick to this and do no more and no less two times (morning / afternoon After school / After dinner doesnt matter as long as there is a break between rounds) each day you will progress fast and steady. If you push to far too soon all you will be doing is creating bad habits that will follow you forever. Once you can do all that video it and link us the video and Ill put you on the next path.

trey

Your talking about automated DJI style quads. Seems everyone else is talking about REAL quads. In either case skill needs to be learned to be able to fly both on good and bad days as every one of em will have an issue at some point where auto level or return to home fails.

@trey Just like any other thing in this world it takes time and repetitive practice to learn how to do things. Unlike a plane you cant throw a quad in the air and bang sticks around until you figure what works and what doesn't...

Man, I really appreciate you taking the time to type that out. I think I will start shopping for a beginner one, and go from there. Any advice on a starter quad? BNF would be ok, but not BNF is cool too.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Man, I really appreciate you taking the time to type that out. I think I will start shopping for a beginner one, and go from there. Any advice on a starter quad? BNF would be ok, but not BNF is cool too.

Anything lower powered like a Tiny Whoop style quad is easiest to start with. They tend to be less ZOOM and tuned down rates to be reasonably controllable. I built a 3 inch that I had so much fun with I started a second build to replace it after It was passed on to a friend. It can fly as docile as a feather on a slight breeze to ripping gates or flying freestyle. All on the same quad with just a flip of a switch to change three different tunes with 3 different rate profiles.

Bottom line it doesn't matter what you buy these days (baring the Walmart specials at $8 for three of them type quads) as you can always plug it in and set them up however you want or need. BUT just diving in like most do and not really learning creates bad habits that will hold back your flying abilities.

Read thru that build thread maybe stuff there you can learn and apply to what ever you get.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-the-oberon-ob-1-3-inch-quad-evolution.65728/

trey

I do, I have a TX16S.

I was considering a Eachine EV300O. The price is decent (270), and I've been reading good things about it. I don't know if the Mobula 6 is RHCP or LHCP.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
IMHO, learning to fly a quad using FPV is easier than learning LOS ( line of sight ) for a former fixed wing flier.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looking at your build, a lot of parts are unavailable. Is this a covid thing, or are they obsolete?

Could be. its been near a year or more since I did it and things are changing quickly. I think though it has more to do with That whole silicon chip availability thing going on with components like computer processors and car processors right now. Add to that VERY uncertain times with Grubments all over the world infesting and eating the hobby alive many have simply walked away so the demand to make things is sliding lower and lower.

trey

IMHO, learning to fly a quad using FPV is easier than learning LOS ( line of sight ) for a former fixed wing flier.
My son and I were just talking about that, and concluded the same. But neither of us know what we are talking about, and considered that in the conversation. Haha

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I flew a LOT of flight simulators over the years and have flown a handful of times in the right seat of a few private single engine planes and a stick-n-rudder glider. The biggest learning curve flying FPV drones for me was learning how fast I was going, and how far away from things I was. I find flying FPV drones easier in the real world (been flying 6ish years) than 99% of sims. The sims are a good place to start to learn the basic controls and get a bunch of crashing out of the way before breaking real stuff.
The camera lens / field of view can have a big impact on how hard it is to judge speed and distances. Generally speaking, the AIO cameras have a really wide field of view and are best suited for small whoop size drones. Small whoop drones are great for flying indoors like around the house. (if your family doesn't mind.) A safe, cheap, and easy way to break into the hobby without breaking the bank.