Quadcopters? How hard can it be?

trey

I thought I could get by without considering my glasses. I assumed that I'd be able to see since the screen is right there, but after further reading, I was incorrect. I need to rethink the fpv goggles I buy. Fatshark has diopter inserts, or I could go box type, which I was leary of because of the bulk.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I thought I could get by without considering my glasses. I assumed that I'd be able to see since the screen is right there, but after further reading, I was incorrect. I need to rethink the fpv goggles I buy. Fatshark has diopter inserts, or I could go box type, which I was leary of because of the bulk.

quite a few binocular goggles have adjustable diopters built in - for example the ones I just got can go from -6 to +6, however if you have an complicated prescription that isn't just + or -, then you would want to get googles that let you put inserts in for the diopters.

Not all box googles fit over glasses very well, so you would want to check reviews on what ever model your looking at regarding that situation.

trey

quite a few binocular goggles have adjustable diopters built in - for example the ones I just got can go from -6 to +6, however if you have an complicated prescription that isn't just + or -, then you would want to get googles that let you put inserts in for the diopters.

Not all box googles fit over glasses very well, so you would want to check reviews on what ever model your looking at regarding that situation.
You're the man. I didn't put that together for the adjustment and diopter. The ones I was looking at will work fine

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you need custom diopters there is a company in Germany that will make them for FPV goggles tailored to your exact prescription. Dont ask me the name as its been a long time since I saw someone post abnout getting a set made and how much better FPV was for him.

Liam B

trey

I guess I'll use this to document how much I crash and whatnot.

I received my goggles today. They seem great. The main problem is that I don't have anything to use them with, but watching the screen snow is wonderful!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I guess I'll use this to document how much I crash and whatnot.

I received my goggles today. They seem great. The main problem is that I don't have anything to use them with, but watching the screen snow is wonderful!

Plug em into the hdmi port on a disc player and watch a movie. I do that every once in a while when the daylight is too strong for my migraines. I can watch a movie and be able to cut the brightness and contrast down to levels that dont make my head explode. Once in a while I do it on my computer too. Games look decent enough other then most text in games is too small to read.

trey

Plug em into the hdmi port on a disc player and watch a movie. I do that every once in a while when the daylight is too strong for my migraines. I can watch a movie and be able to cut the brightness and contrast down to levels that dont make my head explode. Once in a while I do it on my computer too. Games look decent enough other then most text in games is too small to read.
It uses a small hdmi cable for input, and I don't have one. I ordered one, but the drone will be here before then.

trey

OK, so this is so hard I can't even get off the ground!

I have something set wrong. In turtle mode, everything works fine. Everything seems to turn the right direction, no fluttering, and props don't turn when zero throttle. When I switch turtle off and re-arm, everything gets goofy. The motors spin up uncontrollably, it flutters around everywhere, and won't get off the ground at all. It almost acts like things are reversed. Any suggestions? BD3951C7-7D78-4099-A846-6DE169EA2391.jpeg

trey

OK, this is a lot of fun! I do wish the battery life was better, but it's fine for now.

Is there a way to keep the props from spinning? Anytime it is armed, they spin.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
OK, this is a lot of fun! I do wish the battery life was better, but it's fine for now.

that is normal - part of knowing that it is armed, you disarm if you want them to stop

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Yes they are a blast, yes battery life is short (specially if yer a speed demon like me.) The props need to spin for any freestyle / race quad at idle (lowest speed to ensure control). Why this is important is when you are in the air and cut the throttle to zero the craft becomes a brick. The slow motion of the props allows for two things to happen. One it keeps a slight pressure in one direction so it doesn't fall in and uncontrolled rotation on a random axis. Two it allows a feature called airmode to allow aileron and elevator control at zero throttle so you can actually steer a free fall and not just pile drive the craft back to hard ground.

That said you can fly in what is called idle up mode that some pilots use which puts that minimal prop rotation on a switch instead of full time as the default. That takes a bit more flight experience and a level of calm piloting not usually found in a new pilot.

Now.. if you fly for aerial photography reasons you would not want the props spinning when armed so you can remove lens caps and such, test a camera gimbal, mount or check or change a camera or other related things you need on that particular flight. Also as they tend to NOT be flown upside down its not necessary and saves a tiny amount of power

trey

OK, that makes sense. Coming from planes, it's a little odd, but I get it now.

We had zero wind yesterday afternoon, which is pretty normal for here. I took it to the park and flew for a while. That was awesome. Having the freedom to move around is great. I will say, the one minute battery life is about all I can handle. It's pretty intimidating to fly, so by the time it's done, I'm ready for a break so I can breathe.

Having the ability to fly inside and outside is really nice. I can practice fine control in the house, then go to the park and open it up. I think it's a good way to learn.

I can see myself wanting bigger/faster/better.

I'll get some video of my crappy flying, as soon as I can get my goggles to record. I'm having SD card problems.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
OK, that makes sense. Coming from planes, it's a little odd, but I get it now.

We had zero wind yesterday afternoon, which is pretty normal for here. I took it to the park and flew for a while. That was awesome. Having the freedom to move around is great. I will say, the one minute battery life is about all I can handle. It's pretty intimidating to fly, so by the time it's done, I'm ready for a break so I can breathe.

Having the ability to fly inside and outside is really nice. I can practice fine control in the house, then go to the park and open it up. I think it's a good way to learn.

I can see myself wanting bigger/faster/better.

I'll get some video of my crappy flying, as soon as I can get my goggles to record. I'm having SD card problems.

You should be getting more then 1 min battery life mate. Depending on batteries you have should be between 2 and 4+ minutes. what batteries are you using? Even ripping my big 5s quads on full throttle runs I pull 1:30 actual air time and over 2 min total on time and that's coming down conservatively since I am romping on the packs.